HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: What would you do if the NHRA banned timers in .90 (Super) class racing?
I'd like it and keep racing the current .90 classes. My car isn't high mph anyway. 34 47.89%
I'd like it and keep racing the current .90 classes. I'd sell my 632" and pay off my mortgage. 1 1.41%
I'd grudgingly accept it and race my 160 mph S/ST car in S/C. 0 0%
Do you know how much I spent on this dry sump 632? I'm going Top Sportsman racing! 4 5.63%
I'd hunt down the bastard who proposed it and beat him with the dry sump off of my spare 632. 32 45.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 06:20 AM   #21
T Hall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What would you do if the NHRA banned timers in .90 (Super) class racing?

Stocker guys make NHRA employees HAVE TO WORK!
Plus all the crying and accusing each other of CHEATING all the time,
Old 10-17-2008, 06:57 AM   #22
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: What would you do if the NHRA banned timers in .90 (Super) class racing?

I personally have not done alot of super class racing, but I have helped a few friends with thiers. I have learned alot about how all the timers, stops, and everything else you need to accuratly predict that perfect run, and its alot of fun. I also enjoy Super Stock racing, it takes alot to make a car run far enough under the index to even think about getting competetive. Thats why lately I have been just bracket racing, kinda sneeking up on my combination. I am planning on racing a few Super Street events next year, and still enjoy watching the Super Gas/Comp cars maybe soon I will get mine to go a little faster and step up.

Locally alot of our racing seems to be going to heads up index racing, its ok, but with the breakout rule, its just like running any of the super classes without electronics.

I dont think you will see NHRA do away with any electronics at this point, they had a chance several years ago and didnt. There is too much revenue, and sponsor $$$ to NHRA for the sportsman racer from these companies, and NHRA is all about the $$$.
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Old 10-17-2008, 09:36 AM   #23
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
I dont think you will see NHRA do away with any electronics at this point, they had a chance several years ago and didnt. There is too much revenue, and sponsor $$$ to NHRA for the sportsman racer from these companies, and NHRA is all about the $$$.
This is the part that always puzzled me, after they swiftly banned stutter boxes back in the late 80's. Back then I was told by an NHRA official that they did not like the boxes because they made it appear that the car was broken, and that they did not want the super classes to become dominated by high-dollar big inch engines in the quest for the highest mph. Has anyone heard another reason for the stutter box ban?

Regards,
Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #24
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

everybody has their opinion on things.....but what is the issue with the timer.....is it because they make guys that really don't have a chance to win competitive.....or is it because it allows guys that can afford some horsepower to go faster than they do....what is the issue...it looks to me like the guys that don't like them are the guys not racing much (outside of Bill Jackson...and he's old school and would be competitive either way)...and somehow the outlawing of timers would allow them to race...

why are we talking about this...go race NMRA or NMCA and race the 10 cars for the title....

CBS

almost Jason like
Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 AM   #25
Henry S

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Banning timers would do nothing for the sport or for the spectators. The smart racers would still figure out ways to run the number with big speed. i believe the biggest problem with watching any of the sportsman or professional classes is the stands are at the wrong end of the track. put them at the finish line as well as the pro pits. faster turn-around time, less distance to travel through spectators etc.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #26
wsmracing
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: What would you do if the NHRA banned timers in .90 (Super) class racing?

a nut & bolt deadman stop worked years ago.......no timer, no delay box....
Old 10-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #27
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: What would you do if the NHRA banned timers in .90 (Super) class racing?

Its the cost of racing thats gonna kill the sportsman, purses never change, we have to fight to get our contingency, entry fees go up, fuel, bigger trailer , r/v etc.
Its very hard to go backwards or downsize once you have a rv and "required" perks etc.
Gotta give Michael Beard a lot of credit, keeps a heavy race schedule, uses pickup & trailer, keeps costs down. I miss the days when I had my van and open trailer, going to a race was just getting in the van and go. Tougher today.
Old 10-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #28
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
everybody has their opinion on things.....but what is the issue with the timer.....is it because they make guys that really don't have a chance to win competitive.....or is it because it allows guys that can afford some horsepower to go faster than they do....what is the issue...it looks to me like the guys that don't like them are the guys not racing much (outside of Bill Jackson...and he's old school and would be competitive either way)...and somehow the outlawing of timers would allow them to race...

why are we talking about this...go race NMRA or NMCA and race the 10 cars for the title....

CBS

almost Jason like
I think the point about the timers is twofold:

1) For the racer, the timers allowed people to spend more money and have a car with an inherent advantage. Put another way, it significantly increased the cost of fielding a competitive car. Yes, we all know that you just need to cut a good light and run a 9.900 and cut a 0.000 light, but we also know that coming from behind provides a significant advantage when judging the stripe. If it were not an advantage, then why do so few people run the "old school" low-mph way?

2) We have all heard complaints of spectators that they don't like watching the .90 classes because of the timers. Some have pointed out that many spectators are just there to watch the nitro classes anyway, but I know that there were more spectators watching S/G at the national events back in the 80's (somewhere in a box I have photos of several nationals with full stands behind my car). Maybe the spectators have just changed, but they definitely watched us back then.

Regards,
Old 10-17-2008, 12:06 PM   #29
John Quinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What makes .90 classes hard to watch is not the delay boxes, it is the size of the delay. Lower the indexes so that the cars do not appear to break off the line and they will be much more interesting to watch, maybe even more fun to do.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:09 PM   #30
CBS jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Mike....WE ARE NOT RACING IN THE 80'S ANYMORE!!! Get up to date!!!
STOP WHINNING and get your bucket of bolts out and show us how you did it in the 80's.
Closed Thread