Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-22-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
B Aceves

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: Do not do this!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
WD-40 is 70% clear stoddard solvent.In an atomized state,it's quite flammable. The brake cleaner in the trailer light plug washed the contaminants loose,they became a high resistance semiconductor, heat was the by product ,and the melted plug was the result.Lots of aerosol products have dangerous propellants,such as hair spray or Right Guard deoderant. That used to be around 70% propane. Good potato cannon fuel. The mess under the dash was because of dust that got washed down on electrical terminals and became a semi flammable goop all over the place.Not good.
Greg, Do you know why they outlawed electrical contact cleaner spray ? was it just a chemical
reason or something else?

Bob Aceves #746 E/SA
B Aceves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 PM   #12
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 646 Times in 207 Posts
Cool Re: Do not do this!!!!

Not specifically.They took CRC Lecro Motive spray out of our stock at work a few years ago. Brake cleaner sprays have an element in them that contaminates drain oil.Used oil is intended to be recycled, but the presence of brake cleaner renders it a hazardous material, unfit for recycling.While at the Finals in Pomona last fall, a young lady who was working on her Pontiac had a drain pan of oil and a filter from her race car which she took to the waste oil drain tank, and as she was cleaning it out and disposing of the filter, she used brake clean spray to wash her hands and arms as well as the drain pan.The bad thing, not only is brake cleaner bad on your skin, any chemical that wets your skin is absorbed into your system and gets into your liver. Many mechanics get liver cancer from a lifetime of exposure to various automotive chemicals. Possibly,electrical contact cleaner was foud to be a carcinogen. I don't think we still have a current MSDS on the stuff. If we do, I'll find out what this stuff contains.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:17 PM   #13
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

CRC has a new version of their contact cleaner, QD (quick drying?) Electronic Cleaner #05102. I picked mine up at an electrical supply store. While the can states "NO CFC's, it's main ingredients are Methanol, and a host of other very flammable chemicals. They also mention not to use the product on an energized circuit. The MSDS is available at www.crcindustries.com
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #14
Ian Hill

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

although i think the bonded trail plug is fine as long as you had planned on leaving the truck and trailer hooked up for the season! LOL

Anyway, try this - its a bit more skin friendly. Mosquito, Bee or wasp stings as well as any burns can be imediately relieved with staight vinegar poored on the spots. Also, although i can just never bring myself to try it... for an upset stomach brought on by things other than the flu drink small mouthfulls of vinegar to sooth.

Ian
Ian Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 08:48 PM   #15
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
Not specifically.They took CRC Lecro Motive spray out of our stock at work a few years ago. Brake cleaner sprays have an element in them that contaminates drain oil.Used oil is intended to be recycled, but the presence of brake cleaner renders it a hazardous material, unfit for recycling.While at the Finals in Pomona last fall, a young lady who was working on her Pontiac had a drain pan of oil and a filter from her race car which she took to the waste oil drain tank, and as she was cleaning it out and disposing of the filter, she used brake clean spray to wash her hands and arms as well as the drain pan.The bad thing, not only is brake cleaner bad on your skin, any chemical that wets your skin is absorbed into your system and gets into your liver. Many mechanics get liver cancer from a lifetime of exposure to various automotive chemicals. Possibly,electrical contact cleaner was foud to be a carcinogen. I don't think we still have a current MSDS on the stuff. If we do, I'll find out what this stuff contains.
I got the old MSDS yesterday.The original Lectro-Motive spray contact cleaner was 75%1,1,1,Trichloroethane,25%Perchloroethylene.This stuff was capable of becoming flammable in a confined space, also an asphyxiate.Vapors were heavier than air and could collect in low places causing suffocation.It is classified as a chlorinated solvent,probably that's what caused its demise. Spraying it on a live circuit might be asking for it to flash in your face.I can't see that making a contribution to self darwinism sounds attractive right now.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #16
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

If you want to see real darwinism in action, log into youtube, enter,Trailer Blown Up w/Oxyacetylene, and watch the fun and games.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:55 PM   #17
rayfin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WD40 also works good for rusty bolts. LOL
rayfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:28 AM   #18
442OLDS
VIP Member

Liked 262 Times in 100 Posts

Does anybody know anything about this product called JIG-A-LOO?

All I know is that it seems like a WD-40.On the can,it says it contains chemicals known to state of California to cause cancer.

They had a rebate at the local Menard's for a free can.On the can it says Made in Canada.
442OLDS is offline   Reply With Quote