HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-20-2010, 09:25 PM   #1
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Red face Do not do this!!!!

I had a brain fart today & just wanted to let everyone know....I hooked up to the trailer today to go get my Buddys car to put the engine in....trailer had set all winter so I went in to get some WD40 to spray the plug for the lights...".hey this can of brake cleaner will work" sprayed both & everything did work....HOWEVER when I went to unhook it had melted the plug together!!!! DON'T spray your hook-up with brake cleaner! ( of course you all new that didn't ya?)
Old 03-20-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Do not do this!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg fulk View Post
I had a brain fart today & just wanted to let everyone know....I hooked up to the trailer today to go get my Buddys car to put the engine in....trailer had set all winter so I went in to get some WD40 to spray the plug for the lights...".hey this can of brake cleaner will work" sprayed both & everything did work....HOWEVER when I went to unhook it had melted the plug together!!!! DON'T spray your hook-up with brake cleaner! ( of course you all new that didn't ya?)
Rofl....good advice....even better you had the courage to warn others lol....ooooopppppssssss....closest I ever came was using ether as points cleaner on a running bike engine.....ends quickly with the smell of burnt hair....
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #3
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg fulk View Post
And yet another reason to use non-flammable brake cleaner!
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Good advise, Greg. I imagine, many of us here in the midwest are starting to stir. I got my little 10 foot utility trailer out yesterday. Had just put a new floor in it back in late November. NONE of the lights work on it! It's about 15-16 years old, it's due for an update, new wiring and LED lites.

Be thankful all you hurt was the trailer plug!
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

I have a S1700 International in the shop, we are rewiring it and repairing some minor fire damage. It belongs to a local farmer and the last few springs after sitting in a damp barn all winter it has been acting up with one circuit or another having corroded connections in the fuse and junction boxes. Rather than bringing it over and letting us fix it right he had been spraying WD 40 all over everthing to make things work. Well his luck ran out 2 weeks ago as something got hot and it started a fire in the cab.

Moral of the story: Do not spray WD40 in the fuse box and its cheaper to fix it right even though some of my customers do not always see it that way.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:29 PM   #6
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: Do not do this!!!!

WD-40 is 70% clear stoddard solvent.In an atomized state,it's quite flammable. The brake cleaner in the trailer light plug washed the contaminants loose,they became a high resistance semiconductor, heat was the by product ,and the melted plug was the result.Lots of aerosol products have dangerous propellants,such as hair spray or Right Guard deoderant. That used to be around 70% propane. Good potato cannon fuel. The mess under the dash was because of dust that got washed down on electrical terminals and became a semi flammable goop all over the place.Not good.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #7
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Brake cleaners can and do melt some plastics........
Old 03-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #8
njk53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know if there is silicone in WD-40?
Old 03-21-2010, 08:40 PM   #9
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 672 Times in 121 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Do not do this!!!!

Sounds like some of the stuff I do regularly but wouldn't have the guts to admit! It took courage Greg! Thanks, Jim
Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:16 PM   #10
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by njk53 View Post
Does anyone know if there is silicone in WD-40?
I do not know 2 things I DO Know about WD40

It is THE SINGLE BEST Item for INSTANTLY Curing the Sting from Bee and Wasp stings, as well it eliminates the itch from Mosuito bites.

If you get stung by a bee, wasp etc spray asap, (the Liquid WD in the gallon can seems to work a hair better for some reason, maybe its a different formulation since its not propelled ?)

Its a good liniment for bad knees.

WD40 Put out a Tag years ago that listed different uses such as the 2 Above, I have one some where my Grandfather gave it to me, the FDA Had a complete seizure and well....lol....you dont see that tag anymore

My grandfather first confirmed the Mosquito thing when using it as a liniment.

I confirmed its used when grabbing a wasp nest on a junkyward 59 Chrysler looking for a 1st gen Hemi at about 18, I had the WD in my box and it was crazy, like I hadnt been stung nearly instantly.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote