HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 09-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #21
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: crankshaft bolt on damper turning tool

Randy, if your cam is ground properly, your valve lash will be the same anywhere on the base circle. If not, it has some base circle runout. It should not have that.
If it does, where in that diameter variation, do you choose to set the lash?
Old 09-12-2017, 01:59 PM   #22
randy wilson

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Randy, if your cam is ground properly, your valve lash will be the same anywhere on the base circle. If not, it has some base circle runout. It should not have that.
If it does, where in that diameter variation, do you choose to set the lash?
I've just found out that on the base circle, I can be perfect in one spot, and bump it, be perfect, hit it again, and be a couple loose. I've found this on about every grind from every company to be true. I always set tight at the loosest area of the bottom. I set my valves rather tight anyway, but that's just me. Try it and see if you get the same results. Now you have me curious.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #23
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 315 Times in 100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
I've just found out that on the base circle, I can be perfect in one spot, and bump it, be perfect, hit it again, and be a couple loose. I've found this on about every grind from every company to be true. I always set tight at the loosest area of the bottom. I set my valves rather tight anyway, but that's just me. Try it and see if you get the same results. Now you have me curious.

I have been setting valves by bumping the engine over and setting the lash at the loosest location on the base circle on both flat and roller tappet engines.

I have been doing lash this way 50 years, I'm not saying that it's right I am saying that it has worked in past and will work in the future.

There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat, so just use what works for you.

Bob
Old 09-12-2017, 03:30 PM   #24
randy wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
I have been setting valves by bumping the engine over and setting the lash at the loosest location on the base circle on both flat and roller tappet engines.

I have been doing lash this way 50 years, I'm not saying that it's right I am saying that it has worked in past and will work in the future.

There are a lot of different ways to skin a cat, so just use what works for you.

Bob
There ya go. Works for me. 43 years worth.
Old 09-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #25
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy wilson View Post
If you have zero runout on your rollers, you should not see that much on lash variation at different points on the base circle. So, where do you find the loosest/most lash point?
We used to set them at TDC, compression stoke. Had the dampener marked each 90 degrees. Follow the firing order. Two revolutions got them all.
Most everybody I know bump the starter, set the intakes when the exhaust valve starts to open. No exact point. Set the exhaust when the intake is almost closed. I check my valves each day at the races. Very seldom have to adjust one.
And, stopping at the same exact point each time would very unlikely.
Lash does not vary while checking it at different points.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #26
randy wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
If you have zero runout on your rollers, you should not see that much on lash variation at different points on the base circle. So, where do you find the loosest/most lash point?
We used to set them at TDC, compression stoke. Had the dampener marked each 90 degrees. Follow the firing order. Two revolutions got them all.
Most everybody I know bump the starter, set the intakes when the exhaust valve starts to open. No exact point. Set the exhaust when the intake is almost closed. I check my valves each day at the races. Very seldom have to adjust one.
And, stopping at the same exact point each time would very unlikely.
Lash does not vary while checking it at different points.
Your way sets the valves consistently the same. So does my way. To each his own.