HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,081 Times in 769 Posts
Default Re: Hemi B body shock tower modification?

Phil,
If you remember, all 64-65 NASCAR Mopars where hardtops, not sedans.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
Mark Madison

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

Chuck Rayburn runs a 64 Belvedere Hard top in CC/SA and has run A/SA. The hood scoop is available. Your best bet is to have one made. Either Marcel's Custom metal fabrication in Corona CA. or Joey Cole -The Tin Man in Minnesota. Joey made my steel A-990 scoop. Excellent craftsmanship, cost $1,400. The originals usually need much attention after years of abuse, and have the rare parts price.

Mark Madison

Last edited by Mark Madison; 03-09-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: clarification
Mark Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Castros View Post
Phil,
If you remember, all 64-65 NASCAR Mopars where hardtops, not sedans.
Yes I do remember, That's why I bought a solid 65 Plymouth Belvedere 1st for $500 only to be told the hardtop was not allowed. I see it is in the guide now though. The 65 Dodge is still listed as sedan only though, It took a few month's of searching and I had to pony up $3000 for a rusty sedan. It's to bad I have so much invested in this old Dodge chassis. I sold the 65 Plymouth years ago but do have line on a decent 64.

Mark, Joey Cole made my Hoodscoop and bumper. I probably wouldn't recommend him to any one though, It took two years to get the hoodscoop and it was very rough once I finally got it. The bumper is a piece of art but the scoop was horrible. He did offer to fix the scoop but after waiting for so long I wasn't going to take any more chances with him, and the scoop was the last thing holding me up from finishing the car. I had a local fab guy spend a few day's on it for another $600. It would be nice if NHRA would let us use a fiberglass unit instead.

Last edited by Phillip marvetz; 03-10-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Phillip marvetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #14
James L Miller

Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip marvetz View Post
It would be nice if NHRA would let us use a fiberglass unit instead.
Yep, it would save a lot of money to be able to run fiberglass replacement parts rather than expensive aluminum parts. I have a 1964 Belvedere H/T and would prefer to use fiberglass myself. It could be equal weight for all I care. The last aluminum nose I saw for a Plymouth was $20k and that was over 12 years ago. Is that about ten times the price of fiberglass?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Mark Madison

Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

Phil, Joey was about 3 weeks behind with my scoop and part of it was my fault. I changed from aluminum to steel mid stream. The finished product was still excellent. As a contractor, my experience has been sometimes that's how it goes with small time craftsman, great quality, lousy businessman or a project will get put on the back burner for a week, then all of a sudden it's six weeks later and the customer is screaming. The honest craftsman will make it right in the end. It would seem you have had more than your fair share of the others. Best of luck with your new bullet.

I vote no on the fiberglass parts. These are not ,nor will they ever will be cheap cars to build or run. I knew that going in.

Mark Madison
Mark Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #16
Alex Polewik

Liked 89 Times in 18 Posts

I've been extremely happy with the work Joey did on an original 64 Dodge Hemi car scoop and hood, and fender and hood repair on an original 64 Plymouth. I would think what you ran into with the hood scoop issue with Joey is a rarity. I've only heard good things about Joey in the past.

Very cool cool car by the way.

Last edited by Alex Polewik; 03-20-2013 at 05:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Alex Polewik is offline   Reply With Quote