Old 11-29-2019, 09:03 PM   #11
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts
Default Re: TH 400 1st gear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dano View Post
so much for defending stock racers as being snobby.....LOL
That's right . At least I don't have to take them to Camping World ..yet!
Old 11-29-2019, 09:41 PM   #12
Painter

Liked 157 Times in 44 Posts

WELL- I’ve never been accused of being snobby before, that I know of. And I have absolutely no idea who Dano is if he isn’t cuffing anybody. I am just trying to to help somebody I don’t know make the correct transmission choice. I think I might be qualified to make that suggestion. You I don’t know about. So you can kiss my snobby but.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:22 PM   #13
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter View Post
Turbo 200 with 2.75 low, swap converter for one for a 200. Put the 400 in a pick up truck where it belongs. The fast big blocks are successfully run in 200s.
Ding Ding Ding we have a winner. Have it with a turbo spline. BP

Last edited by B Parker; 11-29-2019 at 10:26 PM.
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:22 AM   #14
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 495 Times in 103 Posts

Guys need to keep in mind that not every single stock class racer may be willing to spend $6,000+ on name built TH-200 or Pro Trans that is built to withstand a big block. I've priced both for my own car. I run a lightweight TH-350 in my car and find it hard to justify the added cost vs. the little gain in E.T. Personally, I see lots of other areas where that kind of money could be better spent. One could install top-of-the-line ignition and fuel systems, plus a data logger for that kind of money and probably have a few bucks left over. Just my .02.
Old 12-03-2019, 04:45 PM   #15
Dean Feiock

Liked 25 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Have been told about the "fall Down" several times. Converter is a ATI 8" set up pretty loose. Haven't run it yet but anticipating a flash of around 5800-6000 rpm. I wish cost wasn't an issue, but of course it is......making the mistake on the ratio is concerning. Have been looking at the Coan LW 400 with the 2.48....and comparing with same trans with the 2.75. any way to determine existing trans 1st ratio? It's a Kilgore deal, recently freshened locally, but the trans guy said he couldn't tell and Kilgore "couldn't" locate original build paperwork.
A couple observations about your posts,
1) In your first post, you mention 5:14 rear gear. That's a bunch of rear gear for a car that should hit 125 MPH. You are going to need a really good BBC.
2) You stated that you already have the converter. The converter should be the last thing you buy, built to the finished engine/transmission/rear gear/tire combination.
3) There is a lot more to converters than stall. "K" factor, lock up potential, plus fin and stator design are all factors in the converters performance.
4) If you already have a real Kilgore, you already have an "expensive" transmission.
5) If you are looking at Coan, you are looking at an "expensive" transmission.
6) If your transmission was just open and your transmission guy could not tell what ratio was in it...well to be blunt, you need a better transmission guy.
7) If you have a real Kilgore, he has multiple ratios available.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and not be confused with facts or snobbishness.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #16
Dano

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter View Post
WELL- I’ve never been accused of being snobby before, that I know of. And I have absolutely no idea who Dano is if he isn’t cuffing anybody. I am just trying to to help somebody I don’t know make the correct transmission choice. I think I might be qualified to make that suggestion. You I don’t know about. So you can kiss my snobby but.
What's "cuffing"?

BTW, the Snob comment was directed to only one post. To others that were actually trying to help, thank you.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #17
Lee Valentine

Liked 322 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
70 Nova.....B/SA....402", GM 401 Alum Head
Not for nothing with the combo you're running you better adjust your budget or change combos. The price of a TH-200 is going to be one of your lesser expenses.
Old 12-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #18
Dano

Liked 53 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Feiock View Post
A couple observations about your posts,
1) In your first post, you mention 5:14 rear gear. That's a bunch of rear gear for a car that should hit 125 MPH. You are going to need a really good BBC.
2) You stated that you already have the converter. The converter should be the last thing you buy, built to the finished engine/transmission/rear gear/tire combination.
3) There is a lot more to converters than stall. "K" factor, lock up potential, plus fin and stator design are all factors in the converters performance.
4) If you already have a real Kilgore, you already have an "expensive" transmission.
5) If you are looking at Coan, you are looking at an "expensive" transmission.
6) If your transmission was just open and your transmission guy could not tell what ratio was in it...well to be blunt, you need a better transmission guy.
7) If you have a real Kilgore, he has multiple ratios available.

Disclaimer: These are my opinions and not be confused with facts or snobbishness.
In response if I may....
1) car runs 122 mph with old converter
2) Converter matched to all you've mentioned
3) Above my pay grade right now
4) This I know
5) Coan is on the way (when referring to "expensive" I consider $ 6500.00 and up to be expensive)
6) You are correct
7) Again, you are correct

Disclaimer: When advised to get rid of my Motorhome Transmission, yes I considered that "snobby". Most of the replies I got were considerate/helpful as yours was.
Dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 11:46 AM   #19
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:

Disclaimer: When advised to get rid of my Motorhome Transmission, yes I considered that "snobby". Most of the replies I got were considerate/helpful as yours was.
Interesting that when told to keep the 400 for a pick up truck, (they did put them in 1 ton ,454 Duallys) , you're okay with that, but a motorhome? That's way over the top
It happens to be true, and just an extension of someone else's point .

Peace brother, and happy holidays.

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 12-18-2019 at 06:23 PM.
Mark Yacavone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 12:30 PM   #20
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Remember sec0nd gear is important in heavy car too. 3600 lb bbc wi 815 hp 2.75 low helped.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote