HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts
Default Lakewood Bell SFI

I will be running a Jerico after all in my 65 Chevy next year..collecting parts. Concerning a Lakewood Bellhousing does the SFI go out of date..? I noticed Speedway sells a new one for 100 bucks less than Summit/Jegs..makes me wonder? I have access to a used one, don't want to do that.

I know..a Quick Time would be better..but not a Dime rocket..more like a 25 cents rocket..so money went into clutch. Thanks

Will Lamprecht
1965 Impala 396/325
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
Dave Ley

Liked 242 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dave Ley
Default Re: Lakewood Bell SFI

SFI Spec 6.1 5 years
Old 12-02-2019, 05:32 PM   #3
impstocker

Liked 54 Times in 16 Posts

Thanks Dave
impstocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:22 PM   #4
my69396

Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts

If it was certified to start with you can send it back to Lakewood/Quick time and have it recertified and a window in it for less than 400.00.
my69396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:48 PM   #5
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts

If you have one with a window, its recert every 2 years.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 02:14 AM   #6
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts

I don`t know if this applies to GM bellhousings, but on my 427/428 FE Fords, Lakewood made some design changes some time ago. The earlier Lakewood had smaller lower containment bolts than the later versions, the later unit also had a thick reinforcement strip welded to the upper flange where the 4 upper bolts attach the housing to the block. I assume that either the earlier version had problems, or the SFI test procedure got more demanding. Both had SFI stickers, but I have to wonder if they would recertify the earlier models . Before his untimely death, I used to bring my Lakewood and McLeod scattershields to Tim Hyatt for inspection and recertification at his support trailer during national events. I understand Tims son is still doing clutch rebuilds, although he does not travel the NHRA circuit like Tim did. Not sure if the son can do the bellhousing recerts.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:59 PM   #7
Jim Caughlin

Liked 693 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
I don`t know if this applies to GM bellhousings, but on my 427/428 FE Fords, Lakewood made some design changes some time ago. The earlier Lakewood had smaller lower containment bolts than the later versions, the later unit also had a thick reinforcement strip welded to the upper flange where the 4 upper bolts attach the housing to the block. I assume that either the earlier version had problems, or the SFI test procedure got more demanding. Both had SFI stickers, but I have to wonder if they would recertify the earlier models . Before his untimely death, I used to bring my Lakewood and McLeod scattershields to Tim Hyatt for inspection and recertification at his support trailer during national events. I understand Tims son is still doing clutch rebuilds, although he does not travel the NHRA circuit like Tim did. Not sure if the son can do the bellhousing recerts.
Same thing happened on small block Ford Quicktimes, they changed the bolt pattern along with some dimensional changes for some reason so same recert issue might apply. In my case, it really sucked because the old bolt pattern matched my cross member. I had to modify everything to make the new one fit. Also, I've got a stack of old Lakewoods that are out of cert, if you so much as scratch them, they will not recert.
Jim Caughlin is online now   Reply With Quote