HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 PM   #21
Matt Schurman
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Congrats on your RV purchase, I hope it treats you well!

The Onan microquiet 4.0KY genset is very durable. With proper care and maintenance it should last around 5,000 hours! I use the same model in my trailer and its been very reliable. It requires some routine maintenance, but nothing crazy. Your owners manual has excellent schedules for maintenance, I recommend you take a look at them.

On my machine, I change the oil every 100-150 hours, there is no oil filter. Change the air filter as needed, probably once per season. Change the spark plug once per season as well as the fuel filter, which is located on the fuel pump inlet fitting. I also check the valve lash and adjust it once per year. I average about 500 hours per race season on the machine.

Good luck to you
Old 08-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #22
Tar Heel

Default Re: Generator Questions and Answers, by R&J Control Inc

Thank you Matt!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #23
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Marconette View Post
Rob,
Have you had any luck with the generator? A few weeks ago I measured what mine burned in one day. This was with A/C running, fans, computers, tv, battery charger and 110 vac pump and chiller running for 8 hrs straight. 7 gallons. It surprised me that it did not use more fuel than that.

Sean
I have not been out for the last 2 weeks because I hurt my back pretty bad and I am try to take some time off to let it heal. In hopes that I can finish the season and have surgery over the winter.

But before that happened
I checked and there is only a couple of amps running when its just sitting there with nothing on. I think that is from the microwave,tv, dvr ect. standby and memory and maybe the inveter deal that charges the batteries when the generator is running.. Its only a few amps so I dont think that is the problem. Other than that the only thing I noticed recently is that once its started it takes about a minute before it starts putting out voltage. That might be normal too but I never noticed it before. Still using about the same amount of fuel though. I also sent out another oil sample on it and it came back OK. They said I could go alot longer between changes but oil is alot cheaper than a new generator so I am going to stay safe and keep doing what I have been as far as intervals go.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 PM   #24
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts

Rob......Your generator produces AC voltage right away.....If it didn't it would shut down and light a fault code.
Onans pretty much all do that. No output.....shutdown.

The time delay you are seeing is likely due to your ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). It sends the AC power from either your generator or a land line to your M-H......and many have a time delay built into them before it makes the connection....Lets the generator start and run for a bit to stabilize before connecting. The time delay on some can be switched off with a dip switch.

It is always a good idea to turn off higher load items before shutting off the generator. This is also why the time delay is a good idea.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #25
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
Rob......Your generator produces AC voltage right away.....If it didn't it would shut down and light a fault code.
Onans pretty much all do that. No output.....shutdown.

The time delay you are seeing is likely due to your ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). It sends the AC power from either your generator or a land line to your M-H......and many have a time delay built into them before it makes the connection....Lets the generator start and run for a bit to stabilize before connecting. The time delay on some can be switched off with a dip switch.

It is always a good idea to turn off higher load items before shutting off the generator. This is also why the time delay is a good idea.

Funny you should post this. After I posted earlier I went out and got all the books for the Toter-home and started reading. You are exactly right that's what it is. I usually get to the track and walk back and hit the switch for the batteries and then start the generator. Then I go out and setup and unload the trailer then come back in and do the stuff for the truck. So I guess I never noticed it untill we started trying to find out whats up with the fuel consumption and I was standing there waiting on it. Just goes to show reading the owners manual can save problems. LOL

Rich you got any ideas on my fuel consumption problem. Its not the end of the world but I would like to figure it out if possible especially with the price of diesel being what it is.
Thanks again
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #26
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Rob I do not have any ideas why your generator would use more fuel than what is listed in the manual.

I am guessing it is a fixed speed model and has a Kubota engine.

They do also use Isuzu's in some models....both are good engines and very reliable,,,

I would have to look at the Service Manual or parts manual for some info on the injection pump and how it is controlled vs the load on the engine....

I have never really tested one for fuel usage and never really saw one with oil dilution from diesel fuel either.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:14 PM   #27
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

my neighbor has a Kohler RV generator for sale thinking about buying it---they are upgrading to a larger one its a model 4.5 CKM21-RV--- any thing I should know about them it starts/ runs/ puts out electric---Any comments please---Thanx FED387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #28
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

I have not worked on Kohler RV generators often.
I have no specific information about the model you are talking about...
Old 08-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #29
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

thanx for your reply--FED387
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:16 AM   #30
NHRA1285

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I have a good one. 2002 Journey DL with a Onan 7500 Quiet Diesel. A few months ago it quit while running normally. I tried to restart but would just try to run against he starter. I changed out the fuel filter not knowing when it was last done and it started ran fine.
Fast forward to last week. I was giving it some routine exercise at the shop. Ran it for about an hour. Once again it quit while running nomally. Tried to restart, same syptoms. Just for giggles I changed the fuel filter. It tried to run against the starter but that was it. I packed it in for the day.
As you know when you first push to start the fuel pump runs momentarily then the starter engages. Now the pump clicks once and a second fainter click is heard under the dash and that is it. No roll over. I checked the codes. First is a 3. Second level is a 17 to which is not in my manual.
A few questions. Any idea as to what is going on? It looks to me like the gen has to come out through the bottom of the coach for any type of in depth service. Am I right?
And lastly how much of a PITA is that job? Thank you for your time. I do appreciate it. Holgar
NHRA1285 is offline   Reply With Quote