HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #101
west coast

Liked 129 Times in 49 Posts
Default Re: Project Junkyard Dog

I have heard rumors about the Yellowstone ( have been there a few times) being back on the schedule but have seen nothing yet in print have you.

Thanks
Old 12-13-2013, 03:04 PM   #102
goinbroke2

Liked 175 Times in 61 Posts

Pictures...WE NEED PICTURES!!
LOL
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:36 PM   #103
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by west coast View Post
I have heard rumors about the Yellowstone ( have been there a few times) being back on the schedule but have seen nothing yet in print have you.

Thanks
Came straight from the track owners mouth last night, he announced the track went back to NHRA from IHRA and got the Divisional. It's even better than it was before too, the new owner has done a helluva job.
Joe Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #104
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinbroke2 View Post
Pictures...WE NEED PICTURES!!
LOL
Ok, here we go. The first pic is basically as I brought it home, I ditched the compact spare experiment and got a proper Comet hood. I grabbed the Mav one because the Comet one was rough, not realizing it would not be the same.
Picture 2 is that awesome racing interior. Cleaned up it is actually very nice! Were it not for A/C this thing has virtually no wiring or frills. No wonder these cars were so durable and popular. Very easy to work on!
Pic 3 is during cleanup, I had pulled the motor long enough to fix some leaks, replace the motor mounts, and ditch the unnecessary stuff, as well as swap in manual steering. Also shows the 15x4 from steelies I found, with the old bias plies stuck to them.

There's a teaser, next pictures will be when it is completely done and ready to go! As a matter of fact, since it's gonna hit almost 40 today, I am going to work on some little things this afternoon like the gauges and shifter.

Last edited by Joe Toller; 12-14-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 11:14 AM   #105
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Here are the pics. I should mention, as earlier on, the motor is back in the car and it moves under its own power lol. I also sold the front discs and swapped on drums for less rotating weight and removed the swaybar. The rear now has a Trak-lok and 4.62's, and a pair of Lakewood slapper bars I got dirt cheap. I do have a pattern for a homebuilt caltrac-style traction bar I found on a hotrod forum; if I get bored I may fab a pair if I have the right stuff in scrap iron. I'd love to buy the real deal, but the cost would be equal to 20% of my total investment in the whole car!

And if there is time after the car runs well and consistent enough, I will throw the Rustoleum and a roller at it. For now its all the same color and will shine up ok. The youtube $50 paint job is no joke; it works!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	December 2013 061 2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	22378   Click image for larger version

Name:	December 2013 062 2.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	322.9 KB
ID:	22379   Click image for larger version

Name:	December 2013 082 2.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	22380  

Last edited by Joe Toller; 12-14-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:06 PM   #106
MICROMACHINE72

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sounds like a lot better combo than the Buick. Always liked the Gapp & Roush taxi in Pro-Stock back in the days. What will you do for a tranny? I'm sure the FMX will not hold anything. Or is it a C4 behind the 302?
MICROMACHINE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 09:53 PM   #107
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Its a C4, not alot of miles on a stock rebuild, I upgraded the band and servo, threw in a shift kit, and called it good. I have a 10" PTC converter for now, but will probably end up with one from Mark Yacavone.
Old 12-21-2013, 09:29 PM   #108
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I am going stir crazy! I can't work on the car outside, and I see a couple more of these builds popping up, albeit all 75's. None in Division 6 that I know of yet though (I hope at least until I know what mine can do lol). I just want to get back to it! I'm getting nervous and ancy, and though I know mine is on a McBudget, my competitive streak is burning! I did order some front wheels, since the 54 Ford ones were too crusty for me, but not much else. It's not looking like it will be a mild winter either.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:51 PM   #109
Joe Toller

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Well, not much new here, just clearing up some unused pieces and whatnot to make room, I am planning on getting a converter from Mark Yacavone, and the correct 77-vintage cam (I have a 75-correct grind now).

I did pick up a new budget tip to share: alot of guys look for donut spare wheels, and the fox-body Ford guys have good 4-lug versions in aluminum. But, the 5-lug Ford/Mopar/AMC guys have an option too: 94-02 Mustangs (especially GTs) came regulalrly equipped with 15x4 aluminum compact spares, with the 5 on 4.5 pattern. They are very common and cheap (except on ebay), I bought a pair for $40. Check your local yards!

Last edited by Joe Toller; 12-31-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:24 PM   #110
goinbroke2

Liked 175 Times in 61 Posts

This was brought up a couple years ago at our local track as it is a cheap alternative to aftermarket rims, here is the answer straight from Mike Baker;

To:
Subject: RE: T-Bird temp spare wheel
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 08:03:41 -0600
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would not think they would be legal based upon their intended use and speed. Only OEM or SEMA approved aftermarket wheels should be used in a drag racing application.
---------------Original Message-------------------------

Subject: T-Bird temp spare wheel

Question: Are the narrow aluminum "temporary spare"
rims from a Ford T-bird legal if they have frontrunners and tubes mounted on them? I need the "official IHRA position" on this question as I have a lot of people waiting for the answer.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now him saying "I would not think" is not a direct "no", but I think the intent is to discourage people from using them. What would happen at your local track? Depends on Tech.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote