HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-16-2007, 08:08 PM   #11
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wink Re: Connecting Highway

Got my 1st ticket at Connecting Highway, loud exhaust, I ran on the Conduit/150st. But we made or lost our money on the Hutchinson River Pkwy. Used to hang out at the Wedge Inn. mid 70s

gary federico
GaryGoFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
stocker4046

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Connecting Highway

Boy you guy's are "old".

A group of us ran several cars, two look-alike black 52 olds (the 2nd one was parked off Astoria Blvd for the race), a prime 55 Chevy with an olds tri-power engine, and even a Packet, along several others up into about 1970/71. Saw lots of arguments about cheating after prearanging a race by someone switching an engine. However, to me just hanging out to see who showed up with a real serious race car on a trailer or truck at the BowBow or Cross Bay Blvd. Would also go to West Hampton, New York National and to Islip to race.

After getting out of a couple of "speed contest tickets", learned that the cops would have to hear the agreement to make it stick in court, I got smart or dumb and just raced at the AHRA/NHRA tracks and off the streets.

Last edited by stocker4046; 09-18-2007 at 11:41 AM.
stocker4046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 06:34 PM   #13
alan r caraway

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool Re: Connecting Highway

Hey Artie, Remember the green RoadRunner?
Old 09-17-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
gremlin1945

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker4046 View Post
Boy you guy's are "old".

A group of us ran several cars, two look-alike black 52 olds (the 2nd one was parked off Astoria Blvd for the race), a prime 55 Chevy with an olds tri-power engine, and even a Packet, along several others up into about 1970/71. Saw lots of arguments about cheating after prearanging a race by someone switching an engine. However, to me just hanging out to see who showed up with a real serious race car on a trailer or truck at the BowBow or Cross Bay Blvd. Would also go to West Hampton, New York National and to Islip to race.

After getting out of a couple of "speed contest tickets", the cops would have to have hear the agreement to make it stick in court, I got smart or dumb and just raced at the AHRA/NHRA tracks and off the streets.
A friend of mine had a yellow Gremlin,390 AMC, auto that was an 11 sec. ride. His friend had another one in yellow with a 304Amc.They did quite well for a while.

Ed
Old 09-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #15
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan r caraway View Post
Hey Artie, Remember the green RoadRunner?
Yes Al I remember it well made us a lot of bucks.
Do you remember the night I crawled under it to put in the drirve shaft , and fell asleep while doing it. LOL
art leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:29 PM   #16
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back in the early 60s I lived near Moses Lake Wa. There were a lot of untimed speed contests with guys from the Air Force base. I had a 54 chevy with a 354 hemi and I was paired up with a 32 five window with a 392 hemi. When we left the line as I watched the 32 drive away I noticed a motorcycle pull out behind us. When we got out at the end he went by on his back tire. Had to be going close to 100. The rider was our local Honda shop owner Bob Kneivel. That was before he was Evil. Boy what an outlaw he was, probably still is.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 AM   #17
Carl Juliano

Liked 59 Times in 21 Posts

Hey Ed, Im vouching for my dad, Carl sr....he ran at all of the above with various rides. He tells me alot about the Conduit and Crossbay. When my bro and I raced our 66 chevelle we ran mostly Francis Lewis, sometimes at 20th ave in Whitestone.Im 40 yrs old now, I remember National Speedway like it was yesterday, standing on the roof of dads 70 chevelle wagon, watching him run his 4spd 55 chevy, then the 67 Camaro. He flat towed forever, and my brother and I became 2 of the fastest tire changers around!...LOL, we had slicks on the car before some guys backed their cars off the trailer!!
Carl Juliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:45 AM   #18
cammer427

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In case some of you haven't heard of the website dedicated to it: http://www.connectinghighway.com
cammer427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #19
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cammer427 View Post
In case some of you haven't heard of the website dedicated to it: http://www.connectinghighway.com
Nice site.My memory is a bit foggy but I think the red VW shown was the one I rn my VW against the night we got tickets for "speeding:.I think we weren't going fast enough to set a ticket for "speed contest".
The mentioned about the cops hosing down the highway.One night while they were doing that a guy and his family was doused by the stream of water and hit the outer wall.The cops rolled up the hose and got out of there like a bat out of hell.
They mentioned the night a rail was unloaded and run down the highway.To the best of my knowledge it wasn't a fueler,it was a SBC powered slingshot.I was there.Maybe another time a fueler was there.
One car that sttod out was an ill handling SBC powered Nash Metropolitan.It was brown and named Classical Gas.Scary car.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #20
Casey Miles

Liked 444 Times in 83 Posts

One of the best cars out on 150th st. was Andy Harris's 67 Nova, I never saw him lose a race. It was 9" tires and no hood. I happened to be in the tower at W.H. and seen him go very quick without the spray. That car was deceiving. I can't even remember how many races I went to on 150th st, but I saw an awful lot of money change hands.

Casey Miles
248H
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote