HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Factory Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-21-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts
Default Super Stock "GT" and SRAC

I put this in the new car forum because I'm trying to get more new cars in GT. NHRA is willing to have a 7lb and a 7.5lb class according to Glendora, but the SRA says they don't need it. To use some of the new car motor combinations which actually are easier and some cases cheaper to race than older combinations. Also it will encourage the many people that have already built their hot rods with new motor combinations to race NHRA and compete. With the HP ratings on the newer combinations it could put these cars between 4-5,000lbs. I tried to get a hold of Dave Mohn, it's to my understanding that he is the chairman of the SRA. I have not heard back from him yet, what do the sportsman racers feel about having a 7lb and 7.5lb class?

Any advice on this will be helpful.

Jim D'Amore

Last edited by Jim D'Amore; 12-23-2015 at 10:51 AM.
Jim D'Amore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:42 PM   #2
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr
Default Re: Super Stock "GT" and SRA

I could see a 7.0 and 7.5 pound Class in GT. Currently, GT/A(A) and F/GTA are 8.00 pound Classes; the same as SS/E(A). Making a 7 and 7.5 pound classes (same as the current SS/C and D would be a help to the higher-horsepower cars (both in regular GT and F/GT). I was told years ago that the current format was used so that "The GT cars would not upstage the traditional cars in S/S". Maybe that is still the case. 7 and 7.5 pound classes would allow for high-HP cars the chance to compete without weight 4,000 (or more) pounds. The 390 AMX motor, and others (LS-6, L-89, etc; though many of them would still weigh a lot in GT), as well as the new motors that are 500 (or more) HP. Just a thought.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
Jim D'Amore
Sponsor

Liked 65 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Carr View Post
I could see a 7.0 and 7.5 pound Class in GT. Currently, GT/A(A) and F/GTA are 8.00 pound Classes; the same as SS/E(A). Making a 7 and 7.5 pound classes (same as the current SS/C and D would be a help to the higher-horsepower cars (both in regular GT and F/GT). I was told years ago that the current format was used so that "The GT cars would not upstage the traditional cars in S/S". Maybe that is still the case. 7 and 7.5 pound classes would allow for high-HP cars the chance to compete without weight 4,000 (or more) pounds. The 390 AMX motor, and others (LS-6, L-89, etc; though many of them would still weigh a lot in GT), as well as the new motors that are 500 (or more) HP. Just a thought.

I know a number of people that will be able to run their car in NHRA GT if there was a 7lb class. GT runs with Super Stock anyway so that would help the car count. I noticed at most of the events this year the Super Stock car count was down. This would definitely help the guys who want to run the newer engine combinations.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:40 PM   #4
John Stock

Liked 45 Times in 2 Posts

With 7 & 7.5 Lb. classes you might be able to fit some intermediate size cars with shipping weights in the mid 3,000’s into the F/GT ranks using some of the bigger normally aspirated combinations, which might get some interest. But, even at 7 Lbs. and the low GT ratings, I think the blower motor cars from all three brands might need to be based on a full sized wagon platform to find something with a high enough shipping weight. Country Squires running 8.? @ 150+, sounds like Halloween.
John Stock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Why stop at 7.00? SS/A and FSS/A are at 5.00, why not in GT? For what it's worth, I'd vote "yes".
Old 12-21-2015, 10:07 PM   #6
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

This is a good idea. I (and many others) have asked for this for quite some time. The answer is the same; "there is no interest in this". I think NHRA has either bad information or no information in relation to these classes. It's just too easy; the hp factors are in place, the tech information is in place, and the SFI regulation in relation to speed and safety are in place so what's not to like. I like 6 lb start, but anything would be a help. It was brought up at SRAC, but to no avail. NHRA has already created 26% new F GT classes in SS (for 12% of the cars I might add) so why not make these new classes available since they seem to want more classes than cars (can I say Comp). Maybe we can use one of the messages from Christmas like Miracle on 34th Street, where several thousand letters are dumped on the judge. A little Christmas humor there. The FGT classes that these cars would fall in are very poorly utilized and most "new" motors fall above the 8 lb minimum. Maybe someone can get a coordinated effort going on these classes.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #7
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

IT seems the most difficult to get the most obvious things accomplished. Gt starting at same as SS would seem so obvious. Same for FSS. Mr. Teuton could you please give a stronger input to NHRA for the racers.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 01:24 AM   #8
David Barton
Sponsor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think it's a great idea. I've been asking about it for 2 years but it keeps getting turned down. Not sure why because I can't think of one single downfall. It'll bring more cars into S/S and it will let the new combos slide into the older cars. I'd love to see a new 426 in a SS/AH car.
David Barton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 07:59 AM   #9
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

As for the no interest comment from NHRA, in the1980s there were requests for a7 and7.5 in gt so small block and bb could be separated by lighter bb car. BBC in A was 3610. SBC was 2600+.
If performances of Gt,SS, andF classes proved to be close to same could combine them

Last edited by Dick Butler; 12-22-2015 at 10:47 AM.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:48 AM   #10
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 761 Times in 225 Posts

Start it at 6.0 lbs. I would think that Chev., Chrysler and Ford would love to sell more engines and components, right? NHRA added gawd knows how many new classes to accommodate the 2008-later 'factory race cars' (and rightfully so). So why not add a few more GT classes at the top?

It's strange how things evolve....in the '80's, the GT classes were NHRA's way of getting newer cars into Super Stock with older engines. Fast forward 25-30 years and now it's the new motors that need a home in older cars for Super Stock.

Bob Dylan said it best: -Al