HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-15-2019, 02:00 PM   #21
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts
Default Re: If an advocate could be found - what would you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
You just did. Why is that Billy, lets have a mature discussion supported by FACTS, not opinions, assumptions, lies and personal attacks.

BTW, I didn't see your name "Liked" here...

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=72244

Or you telling my son here

http://classracer.com/classforum/showthread.php?t=71987

that you are "very happy for his success in S/C and wishing him continued success"
You're lucky someone of Billy's stature converses with you at all.
Who in the hell do you think you are, besides a bracket racer from The Patch?

Take a hike...

Old 02-15-2019, 02:19 PM   #22
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 380 Times in 180 Posts

Mark, just an FYI, I don't ever recall speaking to Billy in person, Further, I don't believe we were ever formally introduced. Lastly, I only know of Billy from about 25 years ago when I first started racing at ID.

Now who I am is an NHRA Sportsman Racer and 1/2 of the TEAM that won the 2018 NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series Super Comp Championship. Who this season with be campaigning two(2) cars in the LODRS.

I'm not leaving nor will I be silenced here by anyone other than Ken.

Last edited by 1320racer; 02-15-2019 at 02:33 PM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:42 PM   #23
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 1,776 Times in 569 Posts

WELL HERE GOES ANOTHER THREAD......................

DOWN THE TOILET!!!!!

Is it impossible to have a CIVIL and respectful
discussion anymore on this site?

Well it is time to take my 70+ years of degenerating
skills and load up my low $$ no talent Racecars
for Phoenix and Tucson Races

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 02-15-2019 at 03:50 PM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 04:21 PM   #24
1320racer
VIP Member

good luck
Old 02-15-2019, 04:57 PM   #25
wagonboy

Liked 26 Times in 5 Posts

1320 Racer:

Your comments and OPINIONS are no longer needed here. What you have to share will in no way help this conversation. You have never raced stock or super stock, so your OPINION is not warranted for that arena.

As someone who has been around this sport my entire life, I can answer to the question that was addressed in this thread.

I truly feel that the majority of stock and super stock racers want the recognition and rule support for the performance part of the classes. It takes a lot of time and knowledge to get a car to run well. To not uphold the rules or at least check engines really can take the joy out of building a legitimate fast car. If everyone else is fast, but are cheating to do it, what does it mean anymore.

I think with class being dropped, that shows that NHRA does not want to invest in the man power to police their rules and does not really "care" about performance catagories in sportsman racing. It is a headache to them.

It takes money to make money- they are saving all they can.

As far as the super classes and T/S and T/D. They "seem" to be doing well.

Change is an inevitable. Some things may come to an end, new things come to be.

I dont know if the purse is the drive for many racers. I feel, it is about the level of competition, quality of the venue and its systems and knowing you have accomplished something next to and around some of the best in the business.

Contingencies -WIn on Sunday- buy on Monday. I dont think the manufacturers are seeing it that way any more.

Thanks,

Hope some of this helps.

Ryan
wagonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:03 PM   #26
1320racer
VIP Member

Wagonboy, my opinion is no less valid than yours. The comments, alleged problems and implied health concerns in a few threads over the last couple of days was about NHRA Sportsman racing, NOT Stock/Super Stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonboy View Post
I think with class being dropped, that shows that NHRA does not want to invest in the man power to police their rules and does not really "care" about performance catagories in sportsman racing. It is a headache to them.

of course it is and of course they don't know, one cares in the year 2019 except a few old guys still living in the 70s.

That said, like with the NHRA, you don't make the rules here either that is Ken's call and I'll continue to post my opinion here as long as he allows me to.

Last edited by 1320racer; 02-15-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #27
Angelo DiTocco

Liked 158 Times in 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Please provide the verifiable data that proves your assumption true.

Please provide the verifiable data that proves your assumption true

or maybe it's that in this millennium with social media, manufactures have realized they can reach far more racers and hobbyists than the NHRA contingency program could ever do and they don't have to pay the NHRA or racers. You think Mark Williams bowing out years ago effected their bottomline? I'm sure it did, for the BETTER. They nor any other former contingency sponsor has closed their doors.

is it really? From my eyes, it's a dial in bracket race 99% of the pairs.

the only ones that care about teardown are those wanting to set records that no one cares about any more. Who gets excited in the year 2019 about some obsure combo running 15 seconds or god forbid slower No one! 1970 is long gone and never coming back. The LS6 Chevelle's 13.2 second performance, tuned by GM and driven by a professional back in the day, impresses no one today least of which young men 17-30, not when you can buy a brand new, street legal, off the showroom floor 9 second car and if that's too rich for your blood, 10 to 12 second showroom stock cars are plentiful. Cars that do everything better than those big old muscle cars ever did.

Again, the world changed, our country changed so why is it shocking to some that drag racing has changed. Drag racing nor our country is going back to what it was 10 years ago no mind 50 years ago and that should be obvious to all by now. Stop complaining about the money, who has it, who gets it, who spends it and focus on the fact that we are all fortunate to be able to do this. Motorsports is on life support. Enjoy what time it and you have left and stop complaining.
1320 / Ed
I'll take a shot at answering some of your questions..... (based on my experience, although I believe if someone wanted to take the time to do it, finding verifiable data wouldn't be that difficult)
The cost of racing....
National Event Entries are about double what they were in the 90's when I started racing. And they definitely included one crew/restricted area pass.
The Nationals were a blast to race at back then. There were two days of qualifying and time trials..... (some races would have class eliminations) and the race eliminations started on Saturday morning. Compare that to now..... Entry twice as much, only one day of time trials/class etc with race eliminations starting no later than Friday morning. So in my view a good part of the fun factor is gone. The quotas are a drag, a real point of contention in my opinion. Back in the day there were often 90+ Sockers and 80+ Super Stockers at most Nationals in the heavily populated divisions. I can't say for sure but I strongly believe there were a lot more Super Class .90 cars as well, way more than the current quota system allows. Anyway - Somehow, even with the 2 days of qualifying and elims they still got these races done. They just don't seem like a good value in the current state.... I believe the others see this similarly but I can't speak for anyone in particular. I get it, and I accept that things have changed. So I attend these races when I feel like doing so and I don't when I don't.
Divisionals on the other hand, haven't really changed as much. The entries have gone up only moderately ($120 in the '90's / $170-$180 nowadays) which is understandable. The purses haven't changed much either, they may be modestly higher. I still see the divisional races as a good overall value (if that makes sense). No quotas or pre-entry factor a plus too.

Stock & Super Stock are traditionally performances based classes. They are mainly a dial in race as you state but..... Stock Eliminator, due mainly to the fact that it has remained organized in a traditional way (i.e. fewer classes), has a lot of heads up runs. It's there, you just may not have noticed. Super Stock (which has a lot more classes because of GT, FGT etc.), has a much lower frequency of heads up runs.

The advent of the AHFS put a damper of sorts on chasing performance. Class elims in the old days were like mini wars and there were a lot of rivalries which made it fun. Because (except for Indy) that's all crammed into one day - it's just not the same.

I'd love to see the old days come back because it was a lot of fun, but realistically that's not going to happen. I don't complain about that stuff myself, and I try to make the best of it because that's all I have time to do. We all have to adjust in our own way. I have a great deal of respect and admiration for people on here like Bruce and Billy, who not only are traditionalists but also have the will to advocate for the rest of us. You make an excellent point about enjoying what we have, I agree with you wholeheartedly. And when these guys race, I have observed them to do exactly that. But In order to at least preserve what's there there needs to be folks willing to assert themselves.... and we are lucky to have them.

I hope that helps put things in perspective. I didn't intend to be so long winded. We truly are all in this together.
Best of luck to you this season
Ang
Angelo DiTocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 05:36 PM   #28
1320racer
VIP Member

Angelo, thanks for taking a shot, offering some history and your perspective.

You are correct, we truly are all in this together and that's why I'm here commenting.

Thank you and good luck to you as well this season.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:29 PM   #29
Jim Caughlin

Liked 691 Times in 207 Posts

Before anyone holds out hope that NHRA has hired someone who will devote time to talking to/ listening to sportsman racers and will have some clout to do something with that info, two simple words to consider: Len Imbrogno
Jim Caughlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #30
BobbyH

Liked 59 Times in 17 Posts
Thumbs up Re: If an advocate could be found - what would you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonboy View Post
1320 racer:

Your comments and opinions are no longer needed here. What you have to share will in no way help this conversation. You have never raced stock or super stock, so your opinion is not warranted for that arena.

As someone who has been around this sport my entire life, i can answer to the question that was addressed in this thread.

I truly feel that the majority of stock and super stock racers want the recognition and rule support for the performance part of the classes. It takes a lot of time and knowledge to get a car to run well. To not uphold the rules or at least check engines really can take the joy out of building a legitimate fast car. If everyone else is fast, but are cheating to do it, what does it mean anymore.

I think with class being dropped, that shows that nhra does not want to invest in the man power to police their rules and does not really "care" about performance catagories in sportsman racing. It is a headache to them.

As far as the super classes and t/s and t/d. They "seem" to be doing well.

Change is an inevitable. Some things may come to an end, new things come to be.

I dont know if the purse is the drive for many racers. I feel, it is about the level of competition, quality of the venue and its systems and knowing you have accomplished something next to and around some of the best in the business.

Contingencies -win on sunday- buy on monday. I dont think the manufacturers are seeing it that way any more.

Thanks,

hope some of this helps.

Ryan
amen
BobbyH is offline   Reply With Quote