HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition

Old 04-16-2008, 09:40 PM   #11
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Ford in Comp Eliminator?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Swanson View Post
There are tons of all motor options out there and the Fords do just fine.

The NMRA which is Ford only has Factory Stock (mid - low 11s), Pure Street (mid - low 10s), and Hot Street (8.60s).

The NMCA which is open to all makes, has Mean Street (high 9s, low 10s) and Pro Stock (8.50s - 8.60s) and again the Fords do just fine.

The PSCA has a class that I *believe* is called Hot Street and they run in the 8.20s - 8.30s, Fords have owned it lately.

The RAM Racing series in the Northeast is ALL naturally aspirated, and opps the Fords do OK there too.

The only problem with Fords in Comp Eliminator is that they don't have 1/10 of the R&D that has gone in to the Chevys, and I'm talking V8s. If anyone starts to fund the R&D there's no reason at all the Fords can't hang. The biggest problem is approved heads. The Gusso's have taken a great first step with Kuntz & Co, but they've got a step learning curve ahead of them and I don't think they expect to set the world on fire right away. I do expect them to run respectably.

There's a whole big world out there outside of NHRA!
Jeff: I have been running the NMRA, Hot Street is a great class, but as for that setup in comp. weight to cubes, the cars would have to weigh in at close to 3500# or more. I have been running Open Comp, and its alot of fun, but its still a bracket race. I decided to strap a big ole NOS setup on mine and try to run with the Drag Radial guys. I think the only way a Ford can still be competitive in either Comp or SS racing is to make it a 4 cyl, the 2300 has alot of R&D done on it cause they still use it in midget racing.
NMRA 2012 Outlaw 10.5 #10
Freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:15 AM   #12
Jeff Swanson

Liked 62 Times in 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
Jeff: I have been running the NMRA, Hot Street is a great class, but as for that setup in comp. weight to cubes, the cars would have to weigh in at close to 3500# or more. I have been running Open Comp, and its alot of fun, but its still a bracket race. I decided to strap a big ole NOS setup on mine and try to run with the Drag Radial guys. I think the only way a Ford can still be competitive in either Comp or SS racing is to make it a 4 cyl, the 2300 has alot of R&D done on it cause they still use it in midget racing.
I'm not saying that a NMRA Hot Street car would be competitive in Comp. I was just pointing out all of the naturally aspirated options out there and how well the Fords do in them.

With the right amount of R&D there's no reason a V8 Ford couldn't do well in Comp.
Jeff Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:42 PM   #13
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Swanson View Post
The biggest problem is approved heads. The Gusso's have taken a great first step with Kuntz & Co, but they've got a step learning curve ahead of them and I don't think they expect to set the world on fire right away. I do expect them to run respectably.

There's a whole big world out there outside of NHRA!
Some running comp once told me he thought the nascar Ford heads were pretty good. I don't know if that is an accurate statement, but they would be legal in comp.
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:52 PM   #14
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

I'll tell you what.... Herb Bollman has been tweeking those small block Ford motors for some time now and he and Eric have turned in some very respectable performances in the last couple of seasons.......

And I believe you are right about the heads, Dave....... I'm certain that Herb has played with them and may have even used them....... I know he had a set or two........

And if anyone is seriously thinking about running a SBF in Comp, I would recommend speaking with Herb
Bollman or Bob Huetmann........ they will put you in the right direction......
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Don Eckel 111

Liked 69 Times in 12 Posts

If you are serious about Ford stuff, then you might give our head guy, Dave Jack, a shot also. He does ALOT of Ford heads and he also did the work on our Buick, which has had the C/D record for over a year.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:02 AM   #16
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

I believe the biggest issue of running a Ford in Comp right now is the heads.

I am currently running a set of Canfields on my setup, and could run ok , not great, but ok. I have tried a set of finely tuned production heads (inline valve) and lost 2 tenths. If I used the NASCAR head (which is a canted valve) It would move the car up a class, along with all the other changes needed to the motor, intake, pistons etc.... just not worth it at this point.

I am working with a local engine builder who specializes in Ford motors to run this car in SS/CS or SS/FM for next year, and we are close.. there again testing with my canfield (not legal) heads I can run .8 under, with the production (legal head) I am only .5 under, but at least we are under.

I may build a complete new car to try a comp setup maybe C/EA with a light roadster, or maybe even go to a big block and run A or B/A..
Old 04-20-2008, 08:57 PM   #17
JCQuinn

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
I am working with a local engine builder who specializes in Ford motors to run this car in SS/CS or SS/FM for next year, and we are close.. there again testing with my canfield (not legal) heads I can run .8 under, with the production (legal head) I am only .5 under, but at least we are under.
When you say production head, which one are you refering to. The N351 was never a production head but it is legal for SS/CS. As far as legal aluminum heads for other classes I have seen some pretty impressive flow numbers for the Z304 head. The number I saw on one porters website claimed well over 300 cfm for a ported Z304.
JCQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:28 AM   #18
Freddie

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

John: yes there are some heads with decent flow #'s after porting, but they still are not comparable to the GM #'s. I would like to see the head selection opened up to some more of the aftermarket heads, especially in the modified classes.

As for comp racing, there is no such thing as a economical setup to race. If you feel like running a Ford, you just have to figure on spending more, not that they cant be competetive, just costs more.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:29 PM   #19
jbracecraft

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

last time i checked, 50 under was a good run? sure, there are guys out there that can go 80 under, but youve gotta start somewhere.
jbracecraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:51 AM   #20
G Schenck

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbracecraft View Post
last time i checked, 50 under was a good run? sure, there are guys out there that can go 80 under, but youve gotta start somewhere.
I think he was talking about .50 under in SS . In Comp that would be maybe running the index. I have not seen a highly competitive ford V8 in many years.

Greg
G Schenck is offline   Reply With Quote