Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-04-2019, 07:48 PM   #901
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
UPDATE! Well not much of an update 'cause I cant get the crank till Wednesday-ish. Anyhow, rings are here, block is honed, headbolt repaired, 1st set of rockers, springs, retainers and some misc stuff should all be here by Wednesday. 2nd set of rockers won't be here till next week. Probably can't see (groves) but here is a pic of a pin and a random head pic.

Hold on-you can't put a picture of the head on the flow bench and not share the data? I'am very interested in this information.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-04-2019, 08:15 PM   #902
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP HUNTER View Post
Hold on-you can't put a picture of the head on the flow bench and not share the data? I'am very interested in this information.
I don't know much about it, the idea is to check the head, get a new set of castings and start to work the new set. All I heard was blah blah blah port volume blah blah turbulance @ .xxx lift blah blah blah.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #903
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
I don't know much about it, the idea is to check the head, get a new set of castings and start to work the new set. All I heard was blah blah blah port volume blah blah turbulance @ .xxx lift blah blah blah.
Ok---but theres people on here that can tell you what you have, and the potential for power. This is one area you should be focused on, this is were your power is going to come from. A stocker ALWAYS responds to a increase in flow, its not a Pro Stock, its always comes down to flow through the intake tract on a stocker. Any comments Dissident?

Last edited by HP HUNTER; 02-04-2019 at 08:58 PM.
HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:43 PM   #904
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP HUNTER View Post
Ok---but theres people on here that can tell you what you have, and the potential for power. This is one area you should be focused on, this is were your power is going to come from. A stocker ALWAYS responds to a increase in flow, its not a Pro Stock, its always comes down to flow through the intake tract on a stocker. Any comments Dissident?
He told me that there was 100% potential to increase airflow with the valve job. He also told me what maximum horsepower possibility would be at with the current port and flow. He also said given my current circumstance, we should leave them alone so we aren't chasing our tail tuning with no time in reserve. He said they flowed really well at the lift numbers we're utilizing.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:08 AM   #905
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts

Todd and Autumn,

Glad to see you're getting parts together to head back to either dyno or the racetrack.

FWIW - As I recall you have a 360ci engine so the following would apply. IF the displacement is different than that, different factors for the peak power calculation would be required.

Take the intake airflow number at peak valve lift and multiply that times the factor 2.08 (if the flow bench testing was at 28"H2O test pressure) and that will give you a Hp potential number for the engine. That flow number will decrease when the intake manifold is put into service, as the loss is unknown unless the guy tested it with the manifold in place and you have those numbers.

Next you can estimate the peak Hp RPM by multiplying the factor 29.444 times the airflow number used above. IF you were not using the square nose dwell type camshaft, that factor changes to 26.578

Hope that might be of use to you and others as well. IF not, you could easily add this to the blah blah blah comments.

Good luck anyway!

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #906
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
Todd and Autumn,

Glad to see you're getting parts together to head back to either dyno or the racetrack.

FWIW - As I recall you have a 360ci engine so the following would apply. IF the displacement is different than that, different factors for the peak power calculation would be required.

Take the intake airflow number at peak valve lift and multiply that times the factor 2.08 (if the flow bench testing was at 28"H2O test pressure) and that will give you a Hp potential number for the engine. That flow number will decrease when the intake manifold is put into service, as the loss is unknown unless the guy tested it with the manifold in place and you have those numbers.

Next you can estimate the peak Hp RPM by multiplying the factor 29.444 times the airflow number used above. IF you were not using the square nose dwell type camshaft, that factor changes to 26.578

Hope that might be of use to you and others as well. IF not, you could easily add this to the blah blah blah comments.

Good luck anyway!

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Thank you, this is great info!
Old 02-05-2019, 01:37 PM   #907
Rod Greene

Liked 204 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissident View Post
Todd and Autumn,
camshaft, that factor changes to 26.578

Dissident
So how do you determine the factors for different displacements?
Old 02-05-2019, 02:28 PM   #908
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts

Some guidelines for other displacements:

Est RPM @ Pk Pwr = (1196 / ci per cyl) x airflow at 28"H2O tst press

Use 1316 if you are using a square nose dwell camshaft.

Rgds,
HB2
Dissident
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:36 PM   #909
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Block is cleaned and back on a stand, piston pin bosses are honed. I'm going over tomorrow to hone the rod bushings and start filing rings. Hopefully most parts will be here tomorrow and I can pick up the crank Thursday morning.
I thought this thread was almost over but yet here we are. It's the build that won't die!
Old 02-06-2019, 07:36 PM   #910
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Got some pictures today. The L2L coated pistons, the bores, including the one spot that wouldn't clean up, honed pin bosses, honed small end of the rod and some ring file action.