HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
John Lang

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Question Towing Pickup ?

Has anybody tried a 150 Ford Eco-Boost V-6, twin turbo for towing an enclosed trailer of about 11,000 # ? I've been looking at a new P.U , and I liked the Ford that I tried as a Demo, but I'm leary if that would hold up pulling my trailer ! The Ford is rated to pull up to 11,300 # ! My Dodge is 16 years old , and has 327,000 mi, but the body is starting to show it's age ! The Cummins runs perfect ! Anybody got any ideas ?..Thanks, John
Old 05-15-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts
Default Re: Towing Pickup ?

There is no way that I would tow an 11,000 lb trailer with a 1/2 ton truck. It may have the power to actually pull the load but the brakes and suspension wont be up to the task. Your best bet for a trailer that heavy is another dually or spend a little money on your existing truck to make it look and drive like new again. You just cant beat a dually diesel for the job. I dont think you would ever get 300,000 miles of life from a V-6 towing that kind of load.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Repaint the Dodge!
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lang View Post
Has anybody tried a 150 Ford Eco-Boost V-6, twin turbo for towing an enclosed trailer of about 11,000 # ? I've been looking at a new P.U , and I liked the Ford that I tried as a Demo, but I'm leary if that would hold up pulling my trailer ! The Ford is rated to pull up to 11,300 # ! My Dodge is 16 years old , and has 327,000 mi, but the body is starting to show it's age ! The Cummins runs perfect ! Anybody got any ideas ?..Thanks, John
I have read the same stuff, and even being a Ford guy, I was skeptical, did an internet search and there a lot of issues (motor wise) when towing the described weights. I agree with the rest, stick with the Dodge. I own an F-350. As discussed in other threads I feel the biggest thing is the brakes. Half ton trucks just don't have the brakes to stop over 10k safely.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

There was another thread about this last year, General opinion was negative. You might be o.k with a light car on a open trailer but at the weight you would be towing it's a safe bet you would end up in the hospital.