HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
Rich196

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Need some help with my Diesel Pusher....

Decided to start getting ready for the spring fling this pat weekend, I have a diesel pusher 35 foot motor home with a 300 cat in it. I took it for a short ride just to check everything out, well everything seemed to be OK until about 10 minutes into the ride, the check engine light came on and all of a sudden i had NO power, it would still move but just at a crawl, got it back home and changed the fuel filter thinking it might have picked up water over the winter. After I changed the filter,put in fuel treatment, and started it up, no check engine light, but after about 10 minutes, it came back on and no power again. Not sure where to turn to next, should I keep running it at idle for a while? not sure how long it takes to get water out (if it even has water). Any help would be great. Rich The Coach is a 1999 holiday Rambler
Rich196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Cisco Kid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Cisco Kid
Default Re: Need some help with my Diesel Pusher....

keep changing the filter make sure you use a good filter as well..buy a cat filter or something of the same quality...run some dieselkleen through it as well...with my cummins engine every oil change i change the fuel filter,and at every fill up add some dieselkleen (grey bottle)
Cisco Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Tim Lisson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any white smoke when it has no power?

Tim
Tim Lisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #4
Mark Ruset

Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts

Rich the best advice I can give is to diagnosis the check engine light. I have seen fuel hoses or lines collaspe or leak causing the condition you are describing.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:17 PM   #5
Don Himes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had the exact same thing happen with my 300 h.p. Cat. The best advice I got came from my local mechanic: Take it to your local Cat service center. The trouble in my case was I needed a new "helper" pump, and a couple of new injectors and a couple of new "O" rings. The bill was about $3000, but it was worth it. Got it back in 3 days, and it's running like new now! The "helper" pump was $800, much better than the fuel pump that was $3500!!!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 PM   #6
Rich196

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the advise guy's, I did my best the last couple days, and could not come up with anything, so i dropped it off to a buddy who works on diesels. I will let you know the result.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Rich196

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well thank you for ALL the help guy's, got the call last night that it's the PCM engine control module that went bad, not I am just waiting for a call to see what the cost is..... crossing my fingers, but it doesn't sound cheap....lol
Old 05-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #8
BlueOval Ralph
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best thing you can do is to install a boost, when everything is ok record what you have when you start to loose boost is change fuel filters most times the boost will come back. Always carry a couple of spare filters. One time I drove all night with almost no boost coming home from Atlanta got to Covington Ky stopped in a little truck stop was looking at turbo and all the hoses and connection, old mechanic come up ask what the problem was told him no boost just grunted and said change fuel filters I thought obeys this is good but was tired and figured didn't have anything to loose. Was carring spares changed both start up I 75 sure enough 18 max boost and everything was fine. From then on watched boost as soon as it would drop a couple lbs from max I would change filters.
BlueOval Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote