HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 01-08-2009, 06:11 PM   #31
Stocker 2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

One of the reasons NHRA stock racers do not like Crate Motor class is the engines used are not Crate Motors. If Crate Motors were actually used the factorys would be pressuring NHRA to have the classes in Stock. Chrysler was ready to back the deal until it came to light that racers were not using Crate Motors bought from the dealer. Racers were buying a pair of heads and making the Crate Motors themselves.

Chad has it right. Bracket racers buy Crate Motors from the dealer, put them in their bracket cars and actually race them. If IHRA stock racers had done what was intended by when the class was started there would be factory sponsorship.

So now NHRA should mold counterfeit Crate Motors into their successful Stock Eliminator. I don't think so.
Stocker 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 06:16 PM   #32
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

stocker 2 makes a very good point. Now since Stock has gotten more expensive, as has SS, maybe we should have a Crate Motor eliminator. Do it like the round track guys, SEAL THE MOTORS, they have to go back to be freshened, etc.

I would be all for that, and would probably build a car for it, as i could footbrake it locally as well (not practical with the AA/SA car)
Old 01-08-2009, 06:18 PM   #33
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Crate Motor Class

I like the crate motor cars as long as they were running crate motor classes .Don't get me wrong on this next statement and remember the first comment above. In IHRA crate motor cars is what killed our old top stock program . Oh by the way while we are on the top stock subject, it will not be back in IHRA this year as a indexed class. x-tech man will probably agree with me on this !. Crate motor classes are still welcome in IHRA......

Last edited by danny waters sr; 01-08-2009 at 09:38 PM.
danny waters sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #34
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts
Talking Re: Crate Motor Class

Crate motors in NHRA stk (HA HA) Wally would role over in his grave. I know I have been away from the internet and a TV for a few days but with all this nonsense they must have legalized the use of cocaine because some of you are talking crazy. Ken stk fields are full at over 85% of all nationals events where is the problem? NHRA already has more stock and supertock cars then they want. Also GT is nothing close to crate motor those combos were actually made. Even NHRA in all there stupidly Knows IHRA crate motor is a joke and would not do something that stupid. Ken if you are telling the truth tells us who you are taking to or is this a made up story. Until then Crate motors cars (or bracket cars with Holleys and bogus specs) will race under the big red top tent at all IHRA circus events where they belong. Case closed!
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 07:55 PM   #35
LNorton

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

And in the end we are all just a bunch of bracket racers with high dollar bracket cars...
LNorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:25 PM   #36
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I don't know why we're allowed 10.5" tires. I've always run 9" M/T's myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocker 2 View Post
One of the reasons NHRA stock racers do not like Crate Motor class is the engines used are not Crate Motors. If Crate Motors were actually used the factorys would be pressuring NHRA to have the classes in Stock. Chrysler was ready to back the deal until it came to light that racers were not using Crate Motors bought from the dealer. Racers were buying a pair of heads and making the Crate Motors themselves.
That's a rather confusing statement... who's buying a new small block '69 Camaro from the dealer? They're not. You're using pieces with the proper part numbers available on your NHRA engine spec sheet that the factories have already produced and sold. Crate Motors still match the original spec sheets (except for the addition of the R/T heads, which NHRA has also allowed in SS)... unlike the magical "superseded" parts some "traditional" stockers have... I'm sorry, but my crate motor car is a lot more "stock" than some "real" Stockers out there!

I don't know about the "crate motors are cheap" argument. Parts are easier to find, but otherwise, they're built to spec just like traditional Stockers. And the statement about "take a crate motor and put it in a bracket car and go racing" makes about as much sense as "take a Stocker motor and put it in a bracket car and go racing." Obviously, some people are 1) unfamiliar with today's bracket cars or 2) don't understand the incredibly simple concept of Crate Motor Stock.

That being said, NO, I don't think NHRA needs to add Crate Motors. (or Stock GT for that matter) It's kind of a silly argument, from either side, actually. If your Stocker doesn't have any superseded parts, a questionable origin, wheelie bars, a fuel cell, $5,000 cylinder heads, aluminum trans, a tiny battery, an "empty" battery, an alternator that doesn't work, and/or an electric water pump, then feel free to look down on Crate Motor cars.

Personally, I appreciate all cars.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:47 PM   #37
Bobby Lundholm

Liked 84 Times in 33 Posts

Well said Michael. There is no such thing as "stock" eliminator anymore.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #38
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Word up mike.......
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #39
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN BUGAJ View Post
Duane,
How's everything?

The way the country is today we better ALL race together.
It's going to be hard to get any large fields together.
If NHRA & IHRA don't get racer's they won't be around...

ED,
Crate Motors were allowed because of GM, Mopar,Ford wanting to get them on the market.
IHRA always had a fair car count, Crate motors have taken over because of the cost to build one.
Ken;
If it werent for crate motors I've seen car counts that wouldn't fill a telephone booth.
Chad;
Div 4 can pull cars but it's a problem in the Div 5 area.

Ed
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #40
Randy Schonscheck

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wink Re: Crate Motor Class

Well said, Michael. With all of the recent comments about pouring runners and trying to decide if the numbers from 30 plus years ago were accurate,well here's a chance to pour the heads on these crate motors. Then from that point on there is some numbers that are recent and there shouldn't be such a big cloud of doubt. These engnes don't have all the superseded parts either. Hell, you can buy a complete engine for the cost of a pair of big block cylinder heads. I love the "regular" stock classes as much as anyone, but there is a place for everyone without rippin' on anyone with a different opinion. The way things are we should support anyone who wants to drag race at all. I remember when the S/S GT style conversions came out everyone was upset. But if it was up to just having traditional S/S cars, the S/S class would be long gone. Thanks, Randy

Last edited by Randy Schonscheck; 01-08-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Randy Schonscheck is offline   Reply With Quote