HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #1
sc1153

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sc1153
Cool Super Comp getting to be rediculous

Anyone else feel this way? It seems that Super Comp (at least in D1) is getting to be out of control. It seems that the computer programs,& weather stations killed the class. Cars, & equiptment, are the race anymore. Every car down the track is 8.91 to 8.88. there is NO driver advantage anymore, and it is getting frustrating. We may as well flip coins in the lanes, would come up with the same result. 50/50.

in your opinion what could be done with .90 class racing to put the driver back into this racing?

eliminate tstop timers?
eliminate tstops?
make it a .3 pro tree?
change index?
Ect.
sc1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 985 Times in 300 Posts
Default Re: Super Comp getting to be rediculous

Personally coming from someone who has supported the .90 Classes for a long time I think what could have been done to eliminate the issue you are talking about has been bypassed and it's too late. I said a few years ago and a few track owners agreed with me is that we should have put a MPH limit on the classes. I understand the reason is still to go 8.90 or 9.90 but, if your the car being chased all the time it gets old and after you lose xxx amount of times you give up and go bracket racing or you build something bigger and badder and then it turns into a "Keeping up with the Joneses" mentality and for one it pushes the younger crowd almost out of .90 racing. Can anyone in D1 name 20 drivers in Super Gas under the age of 40? It's a tough thing and as someone told me before "We took something so simple as from going point A to B and screwed that up and made it uninteresting."

Chris, not sure what the answer is, I'd say index change but, it would only mean people building bigger and bigger motors to be the "Big Dog." I mean T/D hasn't gotten totally out of control in D1 yet but, it's getting crazy in other Divisions, so alot of those cars that can run 6.70's are running Super Comp. Maybe adding a 7.50 / 7.90 class to the mix with no stops allowed and maybe a cubic inch placement on how big you can go. I also think you need to really hammer down on those who have something that helps with the ET's. I know they are checking the grids at some D1 events but, I really haven't heard anything about why. I wish I had the answer and I know talking to Dad at Cecil you were going to enjoy Super Stock for awhile. Hopefully there is an answer out there.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Duane Dagostino

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Instant green and no reaction time on your slip...that would put the driver back in the game...although I think it's fine now......say hello to your "old man" for me!
Old 08-18-2015, 04:15 PM   #4
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Frustrating? Yes, but the technology advances make this happen. Where do you think we will be in a couple more years? Change the rules absolutely, NO! You want to change the rules, then some people are going to be left out. Of all the super classes, do you know if they ever changed the rules. And if they did, did some racers benefit, and some not? I think the way they do the runs is amazing. I decided a while back that I cannot do what the racers are doing with the big motors and MPH. So I race within my budget and try to put together a package. I get chased 95% of the time, and it is usually me that makes the mistake. Sounds like you lost a close one. The racing is the way it is, and I will try to do my best. I don't try to keep up with the big dogs, I can't. Don't go to changing the rules cause you are frustrated. Give it a few days to think about. Want to have some fun, try taking of your throttle stop and timers and see if you can run the number
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:26 PM   #5
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

I was in Topeka this past weekend. During TTs D5 runs the Karl Performance Shootout for the Super classes. On Sat, the bump, the SC, for the 8 car field was 8.903.
There were 26 cars that ran 8.90x in that session.
In my opinion, it is too late to fix the problem.
The cat is out of the bag.
1. There will not be a limit put on cubic inches, due to the fact that someone (NHRA) must enforce the new rule. Too many cars, not enough time and manpower.
2. There will not be a limit put on speed. Too many manufacturers are too invested in the big cylinder heads and related go-fast parts.
3. There will not be a limit on electronics because of # 2 above.
4. Maybe a new index, 7.90. That would be short-lived. All the TD cars that can't run 6.40s will be in there running 7.90/210 and cramming on the brakes. Not to mention the burden on adding another contingency issue for the manufacturers.

A ban on electronics, would've limited the high horsepower engines being needed.
I'm sure that companies like Dart, Brodix, and the long list of horsepower building companies would be crippled by a ban on electronics.
When SG first started, 9.70/136 was a quick car in the class. Nowadays that car would be in SST and still be in the slower group.
We are probably our own worst enemy. The essence of competition.
Dan Foley
SC 4698
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #6
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 395 Times in 182 Posts

Not to mention the cars are expensive all those topless roadsters aint cheap
Old 08-18-2015, 08:43 PM   #7
SUPER STREET ROB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: Super Comp getting to be rediculous

I ran my Camaro at cecil this weekend in super street with no throttle stop or timers. I had a lot of doing it that way. Ran a 10.900 on Fridays last run and a 10.906 first round. It was nice not worrying about the weather and what to put in my timer because I didn't have one. Just good old fashion racing
SUPER STREET ROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

I think traction control should be legal. They allow timers, throttle control,. That is, if you want some changes in the rules, also get rid of courtesy staging. No blue light special, which means you can let the top bulb go out and not go red. Also after both drivers are prestaged, you have 5 seconds to stage or you go red. I really don't want to change the rules, but if they do, this is what I want. The five second rule after prestage is for staging games. Let's race. Steve Williams S/G 351N. Let the timers and throttle controlled stay, but the starting line is where it should be changed.
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #9
J&S Racing

Liked 288 Times in 78 Posts

There is no question the racing is tight... Last 2 races (D1) I've been on the loosing end of .001 mov. It's tough to take when a .020 8.909 puts you on the trailer 1st round.

I know it will never happen but If there was a way to do away with people holding numbers.... Couple years ago setting up for a .88 was the norm, today guys setting up at .84/.80....... I say Set them up honest and let them fly!!!!! I guess the only way would be to put a limit on MPH variation from qualifying, like pinks use to do.

I also think they should do away with the coin toss for lane choice, make qualifying count for something. Either higher qualified car gets lane choice or higher of last round.
J&S Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #10
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

personally I think lowering the index on all 3 classes a full second would help the classes. Most all can run that fast now. Might make things a little more attractive to the couple of fans that are in the stands. I have no dog in the fight so this is just my impression.