HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 985 Times in 300 Posts
Default Re: Div and Nat's,,,why do you race ?

Well if I didn't blow my knee out in college playing hockey I probably would have never started racing even though i've been around it since I was 3 months old.

I do it because I don't like to Fish or Hunt and enjoy the friends that you meet at the track. The party's well that's OK but, the days of that are getting thinner and thinner as I find myself in bed by 10 or 11pm at the track...haha.. Dad runs all the Divisional races and I run MASGA and any local National Opens. Hanging out with my Dad is probably the #1 reason that I do take time off of work and go to any type of National and Divisional races. This past year we had a blast at the Divisional races because we happen to go a few rounds at Maple Grove and became a Top 10 player in the process. Now we missed out on the Top 10 by 1 point but, it was great to have that close companionship and being able to pump each other up before a run. Is money the factor as to why we do it....no freaking way! I mean we all have the extra $305.00 in our pocket or $170 to go to these events but, you want the most "Bang for your Buck" and when the "Bang" is not there I'll go elsewhere such as MASGA where I can have a little extra money in my pocket at the end of the day and still get to hang around with the same people as I do at a D-1 race.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:50 PM   #22
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a divisional championship Wally (from back in the days when you had to win a divisional championship or a national just to get one). In those days (when national event entries were a lot cheaper) I raced a lot of nationals. For me I think I had more fun at nationals than divisionals, just because of the big boys and huge crowds being there (and the crowds stayed in the stands for S/G back then). I always wanted to get a national event Wally but never was able to close the deal.

After having the car mothballed for 15+ years, I prefer bracket racing it now. I get my heads-up index fix by running National Open races. At the N.O. races you can race the same car in multiple classes, plus it's two separate races in the same weekend. Around here the S/G entry is $120/day or $200/weekend, and the bracket fees are set by the track (but usually around $40-$50/day). I get to see most of the same friends as the divisional races, but I get in a lot more racing, and my kid gets to see more of her friends (since they run Jr Dragster at these races as well). I had decided that I was going to race a few nationals this year, but will probably only catch one now as my own little protest against the fee increases.

The thing I actually enjoy the most now is a diesel-only racing series (there are two organizations - National Hot Rod Diesel Association and National Association of Diesel Motorsports). There are some heads-up (first to the finish line) classes, brackets, and index classes. It's good simple fun, with sponsor-enhanced payouts that give a decent return on entry fees. I started out doing it with my tow rig in brackets, and now race a friend's truck in the "Pro Stock" class as well.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:37 PM   #23
supergas565

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Verwold View Post
Well, some will think this is odd but I do go to the Div races to race and spend time with friends that I only see at the track. Being older, I like the time between runs instead of the rat race of time runs then 15 min later going to 1st round. Must be an old people thing. Did the National thing one time and that was enough...
And I do enjoy all the party's at the track after racing is done for the day....
Ditto......racing with friends....and yes I am OLD....lol
supergas565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:35 PM   #24
ItsyBitsySpider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Personally I don't like nationals, too much sitting around doing nothing and being treated like filler.
Divisionals were my favorite races.

I'm there for the competition/challenge, stress release- and for the socializing.

The competition isn't about winning for me, but for personal improvement and the challenge of driving a good/great race. (yes, I'd like to earn a Wally to set next to hubby's 4!)

I'm a workaholic, racing lets me be a playaholic. Getting away from my business for a weekend recharges my batteries.

The friends that I've made racing are some of the greatest people in my life. I look forward to seeing them more than anything else.

Unfortunately you won't be seeing Ed or I at many Nat/Div races this coming year unless we win the lotto.
We will be doing more association and bracket racing in 2011. More bang for our buck.