HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #1
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default 2001 z28 Camaro

I have a 2001 z28 Camaro that I am going to turn into a bracket car. It's all stock except pipes and a lid. Eventually, I want to make this into a stocker. My first question is what can I changed and/or remove to make this a stocker? My second question is do I have to keep the type of same transmission(4l60e)? My third question is change the efi to a carb and still be legal for stock? I will probably be bracket racing this car for about three to five years. It will be trailered and drag only. I know I can change exhaust, remove rear seats and converter. Hopefully I can make the car into a stocker by my 21st birthday. Thanks for looking.
footbrakesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 10:29 PM   #2
farmco r/sa

Liked 147 Times in 54 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 2001 z28 Camaro

first and foremost great to see young blood
interest in stock. you have tapped the right
source for info. i will leave the advice to the
many experts. 48 years old and tired from a long
days work...
Old 03-14-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default Re: 2001 z28 Camaro

Congrats and enjoy yourself first and foremost. That will be an expensive Stocker when all is said and done. For right now I would would just bracket race it as is with minimal changes. I ran a "99 Z-28 in NMCA EFI back in 1999 and it was a beast with and without nitrous. Expect high 12's on the motor alone with good air. You can run an inexpensive ratchet locker in that 10-bolt, a shift kit in the trans, M/T drag radials, a tuner, stock convertor and 4:10 gear with good results. Install a tach and shift at 5000rpm...you will lose et shifting higher. Save your coins for the Stocker pieces that will be needed later like a 12-bolt housing, decent trans, efi components...you will be digging deep when it comes to the motor. If you are serious I can send you a tach bracket which does not require any holes to be drilled into the dash. I can also tell you how to safely shift the transmission using the factory console shifter.

Btw, this car ran a 11.66 at Rockingham in '99 and backed it up again at Red River in Shreveport the following month using the same parts mentioned above plus a 100 shot dry nitrous system. Winner at Shreveport and Bowling Green that year and multiple runner-up's.

Last edited by HandOverFist; 03-14-2014 at 11:39 PM.
HandOverFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:03 PM   #4
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the help. The first thing I will get is 4.56 gears
footbrakesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 07:36 PM   #5
Gary Bouman

Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts

Rich, you have a pm
Gary Bouman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 688 Times in 182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbrakesbc View Post
I have a 2001 z28 Camaro that I am going to turn into a bracket car. It's all stock except pipes and a lid. Eventually, I want to make this into a stocker. My first question is what can I changed and/or remove to make this a stocker? My second question is do I have to keep the type of same transmission(4l60e)? My third question is change the efi to a carb and still be legal for stock? I will probably be bracket racing this car for about three to five years. It will be trailered and drag only. I know I can change exhaust, remove rear seats and converter. Hopefully I can make the car into a stocker by my 21st birthday. Thanks for looking.
If your going to set this up as a NHRA stocker, you can't run a carb cause it didn't come
with one.
The Trans for a Stocker you can use a Metric 200.
Sometimes it's cheaper in the long run to get the pieces ONCE rather than build a carb motor now to bracket race with than your gonna have to build a EFI motor later.
You might be able to buy used parts for now & set it up as a cheap stocker to bracket race it for experience.
IF IT'S DEFINITELY GONNA BE A STOCKER, BUY A 12 BOLT REAR NOW.
Providing you could afford one.
Buy the 30x9 Slicks, ect.....
Just skimp on the motor for now, but have all the other pieces in place.
This way your not doing up a 10 bolt rear spending money to do that than change it later.
I would SELL all the parts from the car to upgrade to: Better Trans, Better Rear.
THIS WAY YOUR ONLY GOING TO BUY THE PARTS ONE TIME.
Just my 4 cents.
Good Luck with your project.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 PM   #7
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

There is a huge difference between bracket racing and class racing. Bracket racing you can pretty much do anything you want as long as its safe, class racing has very strict rules, more a "thinking mans" class, as in "What the HELL was I thinking doing this!" Lol. Bracket race the 01, find a 93/94 and convert to a 01 for stock. Theorectically speaking, earlier models of said generation is lighter, therefore you can "move" weight where you want, plus you can still bracket race the 01 as you build your 93 to 01 stocker. There are always blown motor early 4th gen Camaros online for sale cheap, at least that would be the way I would go.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Here is another idea, IHRA Pure Stock. You're in NC, the heart of the IHRA. Headers, gearing, good rebuilt trans and converter, a dyno supertune, pure stock ready. Talk to Dan from MD that is borderline "crazy", lol, about pure stock. Building a daily driver pure stocker, you won't be setting the world on fire but you will be getting to go up and down the track for alot less than building a dedicated stocker.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 10:57 PM   #9
KennyAnderson

Liked 234 Times in 80 Posts

Hey Footbrakesbc. I am racing and still building a 93 Z28 as Pure Stocker. You have plenty of IHRA racing close and this is a very inexpensive way to get into stock eliminator. I have done headers, as much lightening, a/c egr delete, computer tuning, wheels/tires. a GOOD converter, and 4.10 gears. I have right around 4k in the entire car, have gone 4/10ths under, and am holding my own in Div 2 points. This car is for my oldest son who is in his last season in JR's right now. It is a great footbrake car and will be an even better stocker. Right now I'm putting a 12bolt in along with an aftermarket torque arm, LCA;s, adjustable panhard, and subframe connectors. I had hoped to do this farther down the road but I broke the stock posi already and SCORED on this 12 bolt. We will eventually upgrade this car into a crate motor or maybe legal stocker down the road. I love the Pure Stock concept as it allows you to get into Stock for a minimal investment and "earn as you learn".
KennyAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #10
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

I agree with the above posts about building it as a Pure Stocker.
It is the quickest, easiest, and most economical way to get into class racing.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote