HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-06-2017, 07:49 PM   #21
ss wife

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: SS/GT Classifications

It's funny it's all ways the same cry babies on here crying if you look in the classification guide it does not say stick or auto only in the guide in GT or the Caprice It has been that way for many years Erie played by the rules and passed tare down. There is plenty of good combos in the guide if your willing to build it
and smart enough to find it.

STEPHEN BELANGER 3712 SS
ss wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:37 PM   #22
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss wife View Post
It's funny it's all ways the same cry babies on here crying if you look in the classification guide it does not say stick or auto only in the guide in GT or the Caprice It has been that way for many years Erie played by the rules and passed tare down. There is plenty of good combos in the guide if your willing to build it
and smart enough to find it.

STEPHEN BELANGER 3712 SS
I don't speak for any crybabies, but I'll respond, seeing I started this thread.
I just looked up the 69 Z28 .It says automatic only. Therefore, you can't put an automatic in one and run GT/KA or whatever. Of course everybody knows that .
Also ,everybody knows there were no 5 speed Caprice taxi cabs. Everybody but NHRA tech, that is.

A couple of years back, some good ol' boys in Div. 6 built 82 Mustang 302 HO Stockers with automatics. They ran pretty good, until someone pointed out to NHRA that it was a 5 speed only combo. Most of us already knew that.
Point is, anyone who wants to built an auto only combo with a stick, or vice versa, be my guest . I'm not gonna cry about it. Nor will I if it gets rescinded.
Old 09-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #23
Jason

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
I just looked up the 69 Z28 .It says automatic only. Therefore, you can't put an automatic in one and run GT/KA or whatever. Of course everybody knows that .

A couple of years back, some good ol' boys in Div. 6 built 82 Mustang 302 HO Stockers with automatics. They ran pretty good, until someone pointed out to NHRA that it was a 5 speed only combo. Most of us already knew that.
69 Z28 is manual only.

82 Mustang was a 2-Barrel. It was 85 Mustang HO that racers built with an automatic but got banned because it was manual trans only.

Do you ever read/edit what you type before you post?
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:48 PM   #24
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,623 Times in 1,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
69 Z28 is manual only.

82 Mustang was a 2-Barrel. It was 85 Mustang HO that racers built with an automatic but got banned because it was manual trans only.

I don't know if he does or not, but his SPELLING and GRAMMAR are spot on....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 10:50 PM   #25
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
69 Z28 is manual only.

Excuse me for the typo . Manual only.

Point 2. You are incorrect. I was talking about the 82 Mustang and Capri in Div. 6 .You want names? I'll get them.

Last edited by Mark Yacavone; 09-06-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Mark Yacavone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:47 AM   #26
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

The 1982 5.0 Mustang and Capris were equipped with the "High Output" 302 2 barrel engine, which had a bigger cam and 2 barrel carb than the 1979 Mustang 5.0 & Capri,the 79 could be automatic or 4 speed (3 speed with OD, actually), but the 82 was 4 speed only. In 1980 & 81, there was no 5.0/302 Mustang/Capri, the only V8 was a 255 cube turd, rated at 115HP, I recall. Although the 82 5.0L HO was indeed a 2 barrel, 83 & 84 came with a Holley/Motorcraft 4180 4 barrel carb, and were also stick only. Early 83s retained the same SROD 4 speed as in 82, part way thru the 83 model year, the T5 5 speed was introduced, and 84s used the same engine and 5 speed. 85 reatined the same style Holley/Motorcraft 4180, but introduced the hyd. roller camshaft, and also factory shorty style tube headers. The 82 5.0 2 barrel HO was factory rated at 157 HP, the 83&84 4 barrel was 175HP, and the 85 at 210HP.

Ford did offer a 5.0 engine with an automatic transmission in Mustang and Capri in 83,4 &5, BUT rather than the 4 barrel carb HO engine, the automatic combo used a CFI throttle body fuel injection and hyd. flat tappet cam.
The first 5.0 HO engine available with an automatic came in 1986 Mustang and Capris, which were the first of the Multi point EFIs used in the Mustang. 86 was also the last year of the Mercury Capri FOX body.