HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-28-2023, 12:44 PM   #11
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,232 Times in 596 Posts
Default Re: NHRA Decisions

I know that it is 2023 and NOT 1975 anymore.

I know that NHRA stands for No Happy Racers Allowed.

I know that NHRA is a not for profit business.

How about if ALL the rich suits in NHRA take a pay cut to help the overall situation.??? Put the money into the funds available to pay the racers of National and Divisional events.

Many businesses have either closed or made big changes to help them stay afloat in the new world, NOT NHRA. Come on NHRA make the racers happy again. Raise quotas, where possible, and increase the payouts for the racers.

I know that I am no longer a racer, but these thoughts are just my 2 cents.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:19 PM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carguy49 View Post
I know that it is 2023 and NOT 1975 anymore.

I know that NHRA stands for No Happy Racers Allowed.

I know that NHRA is a not for profit business.

How about if ALL the rich suits in NHRA take a pay cut to help the overall situation.??? Put the money into the funds available to pay the racers of National and Divisional events.

Many businesses have either closed or made big changes to help them stay afloat in the new world, NOT NHRA. Come on NHRA make the racers happy again.
I don't see this happening at all.
IMHO, the "suits" already have something legally drafted that will, when the time comes, allow them to close the doors and dispose of the assets dividing the funds amongst themselves.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:42 PM   #13
Dan Bennett

Liked 353 Times in 78 Posts

Disbanding a nonprofit is fairly complicated and is very different from a company closing.

I saw it first hand in my small town. In the 1950s, a group of businessmen and civic groups started a fund drive to build a hospital. Of course, this was pre-interstate, so the nearest big city hospital was an hour or more away. They wanted to change that.

They managed to fund a 10 bed facility. By 2000 or so it had grown to 200. But, it WAS a new century where everything was based on whales devouring minnows. A very large chain made an offer to buy them out, and the local board knew that times had changed and they wouldn't be able to compete for doctors, supply prices, etc. against the giants.

Lots of negotiations, but the bottom line is that a foundation was established and funded with 6 million which was invested. Quarterly, they make grants to organizations who help people - food banks, free clinics, schools, etc. They give out about a 750k a year and have yet to touch the principal and it's been maybe 7 or 8 years.

So this is what happened with a 501 company here, but I see no way to apply that to the NHRA. If the board moved from their line-their-pockets thinking and did such a thing, the only way it could help racers would be if the grants were paid to a new association actually controlled by the people who join it.

Imagine that happening.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:24 AM   #14
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Arrow Re: NHRA Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bennett View Post
Disbanding a nonprofit is fairly complicated and is very different from a company closing.

I saw it first hand in my small town. In the 1950s, a group of businessmen and civic groups started a fund drive to build a hospital. Of course, this was pre-interstate, so the nearest big city hospital was an hour or more away. They wanted to change that.

They managed to fund a 10 bed facility. By 2000 or so it had grown to 200. But, it WAS a new century where everything was based on whales devouring minnows. A very large chain made an offer to buy them out, and the local board knew that times had changed and they wouldn't be able to compete for doctors, supply prices, etc. against the giants.

Lots of negotiations, but the bottom line is that a foundation was established and funded with 6 million which was invested. Quarterly, they make grants to organizations who help people - food banks, free clinics, schools, etc. They give out about a 750k a year and have yet to touch the principal and it's been maybe 7 or 8 years.

So this is what happened with a 501 company here, but I see no way to apply that to the NHRA. If the board moved from their line-their-pockets thinking and did such a thing, the only way it could help racers would be if the grants were paid to a new association actually controlled by the people who join it.

Imagine that happening.
I recall IHRA tried to help our cause but were denied by NHRA loyalists (circa 2012 San Antonio Raceway, Southwestern International Raceway, and Rocky Mountain Raceway, and the big race held in Tennesee)! Thanks in part to that, we no longer have many of the tracks we had then, entry fees are $70.00 - $110.00 more, and entry qoutas caused by catering to pro classed big rigs, have squeezed many of us out of races we wanted to be in! D7 lost Rocky Mountain Raceway was lost, but when IHRA was there the stands were packed, and even though the nitro burners drew in many fans, we Sportsman racers were shown lots of love, from lower entry fees, to similar (and in the 2010's bigger payouts)! Tucson has dropped out of divisionals, Fontana is long gone, and other divisions have lost key race tracks too. Seems to me competition is needed for Glendora too, but if they get it, will we embrace it, or reject it like 11yrs ago????
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)

Last edited by GarysZ24; 01-30-2023 at 12:44 AM. Reason: More to add.
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 11:21 AM   #15
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts

Two years ago, I made it down to the last 5 cars at the last Atlanta GA National event in Super Street. I got $250. The entry fee was $320. How does NHRA justify this kind of pay out? I made it down to the last 5 cars at a National event, and I can't even get my entry fee back with the winnings? Am I wrong, or is there is something really wrong with that picture? With all the money a national event brings in, why can't a racer even win enough to cover their entry fees with the earnings of getting down to the last 5 cars. Oh, and when I sent them an email with my concerns about this, they responded with how LUCRATIVE their contingency program is. They don't even understand that the only racers who receive contingency money are the winner and runner up! I was so infuriated with their response to this. It was like they were telling me, "Well, we do pay out if you get to the final, but if you don't, oh well, thanks for coming and spending your hard earned money to pay all of our executive vise presidents salaries." Pros don't pay entry fees, and get paid just to make qualifying passes, but we cant even get our entry fees covered by making it to the quarter finals? But, we all keep going back don't we!
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 12:00 PM   #16
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA1926 View Post
But, we all keep going back don't we!
Must be for that Wally! (see thread "Spoiled Brats")

Old 01-30-2023, 10:30 PM   #17
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24

Quote:
Two years ago, I made it down to the last 5 cars at the last Atlanta GA National event in Super Street. I got $250. The entry fee was $320. How does NHRA justify this kind of pay out? I made it down to the last 5 cars at a National event, and I can't even get my entry fee back with the winnings? Am I wrong, or is there is something really wrong with that picture? With all the money a national event brings in, why can't a racer even win enough to cover their entry fees with the earnings of getting down to the last 5 cars. Oh, and when I sent them an email with my concerns about this, they responded with how LUCRATIVE their contingency program is. They don't even understand that the only racers who receive contingency money are the winner and runner up! I was so infuriated with their response to this. It was like they were telling me, "Well, we do pay out if you get to the final, but if you don't, oh well, thanks for coming and spending your hard earned money to pay all of our executive vise presidents salaries." Pros don't pay entry fees, and get paid just to make qualifying passes, but we cant even get our entry fees covered by making it to the quarter finals? But, we all keep going back don't we!
Here's my Top Five reasons for still going, by order of significance:

1. IHRA was rejected out west, so this is my only drag racing option.

2. I still love the competition. I'm not nearly ready to hang up my helmet.

3. The camaraderie and racing family I get to enjoy in this sport.

4. I love the travel to and from the races.

5. This is a sport that I've been blessed to be fairly good at.
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 10:50 PM   #18
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,232 Times in 596 Posts

You make some very valid points Gary.

Even though I haven't had a race car of any form for many years, I still feel very much a part of the sport thanks to the many friends that I have met along the way. I drive into an event and am greeted like a family member. Whether it is a Divisional, National event or local bracket racing or a NHRA Open I feel like I belong. So a BIG thank you to all the friends/family that make me feel welcome. Looking forward to each and every event that I am able to attend this coming year. God Bless ALL of you and good luck at each race this year.

P.S. Can't wait to see the schedule for the North West Class Racer Association this coming year.

Last edited by Carguy49; 01-30-2023 at 11:09 PM.
Carguy49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 01:41 AM   #19
B Parker

Liked 2,314 Times in 455 Posts

Quote:
So what's the difference between a crack head and a Sportsman Racer?

A crack head knows he's not getting money from his drug dealer !!
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:50 AM   #20
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Parker View Post
So what's the difference between a crack head and a Sportsman Racer?

A crack head knows he's not getting money from his drug dealer !!

http://classracer.com/classforum/new...reply&p=675045