HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-27-2023, 08:44 AM   #1
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 803 Times in 213 Posts
Default NHRA Decisions

In defense of NHRA.if a person looks at NHRA as a business I can understand the decision they make for the overall for the good of their company I believe in most cases the decisions have been made looking at the overall picture , Keep in mind they have to make money in order to survive and provide a race for all of us .In some cases the decision is made for the good of the racers ,in some cases the decision is made for the good of NHRA and in some cases the decisions made for the good of the sponsors believe me they want to make money in all instances as In any decision made by NHRA it will not satisfy all of its customers
Old 01-27-2023, 10:49 AM   #2
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default Re: NHRA Decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
In defense of NHRA.if a person looks at NHRA as a business I can understand the decision they make for the overall for the good of their company I believe in most cases the decisions have been made looking at the overall picture , Keep in mind they have to make money in order to survive and provide a race for all of us .In some cases the decision is made for the good of the racers ,in some cases the decision is made for the good of NHRA and in some cases the decisions made for the good of the sponsors believe me they want to make money in all instances as In any decision made by NHRA it will not satisfy all of its customers
Ya know Don, there's a few of things that I can agree with here BUT, at some point in time, I wish that someone would clarify the definitions of a couple of things for me;

"NHRA as a business";
being a card-carrying (and paying) member of the NHRA AND an active Racer;
Am I a business associate? I'm obviously physically and financially involved in the "business" by being actively involved in the show.
Am I an investor? I'm obviously financially (as are you) "invested" in guaranteeing NHRA's ability to put on a show which whether NHRA believes it or not, we are a part of.
Am I a private contractor? After my initial investment to be "involved" in the production of the show am I not repatriated/paid for being "involved" in the show?
Am I a sponsor? By having an NHRA decal and other NHRA inspired "signage" on my car not only for the show that I'm putting on but 24/7, am I not publicizing the NHRA business model?

Where I'm really going with all of this B.S. is, you're really not referring to me or any other Racers on here as "customers" are you?

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 12:45 PM   #3
Mike Gray

Liked 498 Times in 134 Posts

I think this fits the racers relationship better -

“The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done.”
Old 01-27-2023, 02:50 PM   #4
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
“The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if the payer has the right to control or direct only the result of the work and not what will be done and how it will be done.”
OK then.............................................. .............ummmm, the "independent contractor" would be whom? The NHRA being "paid" by the Racers to supply the Racers with a place to race or the Racers being "paid" (yeah, that's a joke) by the NHRA to supply the NHRA with a show?

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-27-2023, 05:04 PM   #5
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

As much as NHRA tries to frame it otherwise, we are simply the customer. And NHRA pretty much has a monopoly on the market.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:18 PM   #6
Mike Gray

Liked 498 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
OK then.............................................. .............ummmm, the "independent contractor" would be whom? The NHRA being "paid" by the Racers to supply the Racers with a place to race or the Racers being "paid" (yeah, that's a joke) by the NHRA to supply the NHRA with a show?
NHRA pays you (purse money lol) to be involved but they don't control (to most extent) what or where you decide to race. Kind of goes along with this -
Am I a private contractor? After my initial investment to be "involved" in the production of the show am I not repatriated/paid for being "involved" in the show?

Last edited by Mike Gray; 01-27-2023 at 05:24 PM.
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2023, 06:39 PM   #7
Frank Castros
VIP Member

Liked 2,082 Times in 769 Posts

My most recent research of the online version of the Rule Book I soon realized that much of it's content was authored by Corporate Lawyers and would guess that Billy's questions can be answered somewhere within the Rule Book.
Frank Castros is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-27-2023, 08:09 PM   #8
Chevy55

Liked 168 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
As much as NHRA tries to frame it otherwise, we are simply the customer. And NHRA pretty much has a monopoly on the market.
IMO in today's market we're no more than inventory to the NHRA!
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 01-27-2023, 10:43 PM   #9
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24
Red face Re: NHRA Decisions

Quote:
Keep in mind they have to make money in order to survive and provide a race for all of us .In some cases the decision is made for the good of the racers ,in some cases the decision is made for the good of NHRA and in some cases the decisions made for the good of the sponsors believe me they want to make money in all instances as In any decision made by NHRA it will not satisfy all of its customers
This is my point for another thread, and especially now that I know the Az Nats are only contesting 10 categories, while the Gator Nats are presenting 15? If they're out to make money, I'll give you a an apples to apples comparison to the Gators....Super Street quota 40 X $350= $ 14,000.00! NHRA, this is what you're passing up on with just the 40 entry quota (add $10,500 to that for a 70 car field)! My 2cents worth.
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:44 AM   #10
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,043 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:

Actually, Don, since NHRA is a non profit, they don't have to MAKE money. They just can't afford to LOSE money. I understand many of their decisions as the cheap, easy way out, for the best short term profit margin, and the easiest to implement. The decision made is ALWAYS the best for their bottom line, if the racers gain any sort of benefit, then that's a bonus that they get to brag about.

Sorry, NHRA is supposed to be a non profit, taking care of its members and its focus, in this case, ALL of drag racing, but as is the case with many non profits, you have a few top level executives drawing an utterly exorbitant salary, a few people who are mid level making decent money for their position, and a ton of people who are barely above volunteers, taking money out of their pocket to support something that they love and believe in, most of whom are used and abused, far beyond what most of us would tolerate.

Sorry, Don, I appreciate your point of view. But I sincerely and completely disagree. NHRA has not acted in the best interest of all of drag racing in decades. NHRA has been focused on the short term bottom line, and ever increasing salaries and bonuses for the top level executives, for a long time. It got far worse when Wally Parks died, but it was already bad long before. I honestly wish that I was wrong. A non profit, originally founded to take care of its members, NHRA now takes care of its highest paying "customers", and its executives. Even the sponsors get the bare minimum.