HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-24-2023, 10:22 AM   #41
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,456 Times in 1,957 Posts
Default Re: Have you ever thought about...............

A member of our HS Basketball team had a 66 Chevelle SS 396 /325 and it was a glide with console. I think I still have a factory intake for the Holley.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 10:45 AM   #42
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocker396 View Post
It did come with a Glide from the factory, I changed to the TH350 when the rule change came out. Best its gone is .280 under in E/SA @ NHRA. I've been running in NMCA lately. It uses the 585cfm Holley. I think that may be hurting it. I do all my own work and R&D so its definitely not the fastest.
I bought it from the widow of the original owner in 1988. I used to street drive it until 2015. If I cant make it work it may go back to that, someday. Its just more fun this way.
I`m a Ford guy, but I always thought the 325HP 396s had a QJet, and only the 360 HP version had a Holley carb with oval port heads. Am I incorrect?
Old 01-24-2023, 10:50 AM   #43
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
A member of our HS Basketball team had a 66 Chevelle SS 396 /325 and it was a glide with console. I think I still have a factory intake for the Holley.
Back in the early -mid 70s, I hung out with a racer that ran 65 Chevys, a Biscayne 2 door sedan, and then an Impala wagon, both with 396/325 combos in Super Stock, and both cars had Turbo 400s. Were the TH400s only used in the big cars in the beginning ? I have also seen early 396 Corvettes with Powerglides. Was a Turbo 400 optional in a SS396 Chevelle in 66, and if not, when?
Old 01-24-2023, 11:49 AM   #44
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Back in the early -mid 70s, I hung out with a racer that ran 65 Chevys, a Biscayne 2 door sedan, and then an Impala wagon, both with 396/325 combos in Super Stock, and both cars had Turbo 400s. Were the TH400s only used in the big cars in the beginning ? I have also seen early 396 Corvettes with Powerglides. Was a Turbo 400 optional in a SS396 Chevelle in 66, and if not, when?
Way back in the day about 30 years ago,I found a wrecked 65 Impala SS 2 door hardtop with a mint black interior, a 396 with power steering, brakes,a/c, and a Powerglide. It had only about 44000 miles on it, and I got it for $200.00.After getting it home, throwing away the wrecked parts, the frame was destroyed from the firewall forward, so I parted it out completely. I put the complete interior, dash and gas tank and the console and shifter into a plain Impala non SS car, the 396 got dismantled, I still have the block and the accessories with the brackets, Cal Method helped us in innumerable ways at Pomona one year, so I gave him the Powerglide, I kept the 12 bolt, and carted the gutted shell and bent frame to a scrap yard and did quite well on this one. In '65, the 396 came out for release in February,first in the Caprice and soon everything else got it, the TH 400 was an optional trans later in th year, a lot of 396's had Powerglides, they were a good core because the big block and 409 power glides had heavy duty parts and clutch packs, and I remember 396 Powerglides in Chevelles and even a few early Camaro's. The Quadrajet carb came out for the 396 in '65, then the 327 got it part way through '66,and by '67 the only 4 barrel on a Chevy was the QJ with the exception of some Vettes that still could be had with a Holley. The evolution of Chevy power plants and drive trains is a fascinating study!

Last edited by Greg Reimer 7376; 01-24-2023 at 11:52 AM.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 03:47 PM   #45
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

My friend Ed Wright thought I was nuts to build a 4th gen Firebird. Because at that time the HP was at 346 (I think). But at that point I had been bracket racing one for 15 years or so. I had all these parts that had one time been on my bracket car. But upgraded them so the old parts were just laying on a shelf. So I bought a car off eBay for a couple hundred. I bought a set of used heads, converter and some other used stuff off guys here. All together between buying used parts and stuff I had. I had spent less than $5,000. If I had tried to do any other car. It would have been a bunch more. My original goal was just run under the index. It went about .3 under. I figured I’d try it. If I liked it I’d spend more and keep going. The second time racing it was at Paducah Ky. I got down to 3 cars and the hook was set and set good. So that winter I put more into my junk. Got a crank done, new rods and pistons to get the rod/piston weight closer to the min. (Before this it had TRW pistons and I think eagle rods) but while they were on the list and legal. They were also very heavy. But they were the cheapest option to get started. Anyways along with that and some other stuff. I got to .57 under. So that next winter I spent some more. Unfortunately in the spring of 18 I got hurt working. And haven’t raced since. Debated selling my cars. But nope I’m stupid. So since then the lifter rule changed. So another cam and solid roller lifers. Up until then I had a comp cam and just regular old hydraulic roller lifters straight from Jegs. Not the fancy shimmed up ones. I’ve bought a good metric 200, headers, merge collectors, better brakes, and other stuff. I’m waiting on a new FI system right now. If the doctor doesn’t give me the ok. I’m going to at least get somebody else to drive it. To see if/how much faster it is. The lifters alone should make a difference. I’m told possibly 1/10 better for the metric. We’ll see. But in the beginning Ed and other thought I was nuts.

Last edited by Rob Petrie E395; 01-24-2023 at 05:05 PM.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:16 PM   #46
joe collins

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
I`m a Ford guy, but I always thought the 325HP 396s had a QJet, and only the 360 HP version had a Holley carb with oval port heads. Am I incorrect?
Yes
joe collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:02 AM   #47
GarysZ24
VIP Member

Liked 197 Times in 78 Posts
Send a message via MSN to GarysZ24 Send a message via Yahoo to GarysZ24

If ever I could come into the funds for it, I would prove to all I've told I'm a Mopar guy disguised as a Chevy racer, by finding and buying the '65 Dodge Coronet that Dennis Mauer used to race. Much like I wanted John Friel's Hemi Dart to be in The 50th Anniversary of the '68 Dart/Barracuda at Indy, I would send the car to Randy Loge of Loge/Stein Racing. Between Randy, Jerry, and also Steve Wann, they would make that car one SS/BAdd machine!
CF/S #5824 (#78 in 2021)
GarysZ24 is offline   Reply With Quote