HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-26-2023, 08:28 PM   #1
CraigG

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default Manual steering box for a body drag racing – 24 to 1 or 16 t

Hey Everybody,

72 GTO with stock front suspension new rebuilt completely with 18 x 5 #180 front springs and adjustable Competition engineering front shocks and double adjustable Competition engineering rear shocks.

Four wheel alignment with Drag racing toe in at eighth inch, Mickey Thompson 10.5W Bias drag slicks, adjustable ladder bar suspension.

The car is getting fast enough and is launching hard enough to pull the wheels pretty well and is running in the 6.30s in the eighth and 1.30s in the 60 foot.

The car is wanting to wander and feel the need to oversteer to keep it going straight down the track once the wheels are down. I'm most uncomfortable with the excessive free play at the steering wheel and how the car wants to wander at speed.

I will get a new steering box and wondered which manual steering box for A body drag racing – 24 to 1 or 16 to 1. Which would be best for controlling wheels stands - when they come down and the car recovers and providing less freeplay and reducing wandering at speed.

Thanks Again, Craig
CraigG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 10:35 PM   #2
Woodfin

Liked 70 Times in 38 Posts
Default Re: Manual steering box for a body drag racing – 24 to 1 or

Craig, in my experience, a steering that is less sensitive is best. Thus, the 24 to 1 is a good choice. Plus, the steering effort is less while drive in the pits.

And reading your comments, you may have other issues like pump steer, or some worn, loose parts.

I suggest you have an experienced front-end mechanic check the car.
Woodfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 05:54 AM   #3
Henrys Toy

Liked 467 Times in 159 Posts
Smile Re: Manual steering box for a body drag racing – 24 to 1 or

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
Craig, in my experience, a steering that is less sensitive is best. Thus, the 24 to 1 is a good choice. Plus, the steering effort is less while drive in the pits.

And reading your comments, you may have other issues like pump steer, or some worn, loose parts.

I suggest you have an experienced front-end mechanic check the car.
Good morning to all,
A Flaming River steering box will cure the steering box issue. I would like to see the car put on a Four wheel alignment machine and have the front And rear suspension checked over. Also see if a track photographer can take a couple of pictures of the car with the wheels off the ground and be able to view what the front suspension is doing while its off the ground.
Bump Steer can cause some handling issues. Is that car similar to the Chevelle chassis where its considered a "rear steer " ? They have there own fixes but nothing that's impossible. A good front end mechanic will be able to " steer " you in the right direction. Ask some racers in your area even circle track racers who's good at front end alignment.
I hope this helps.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz 1534 H/SA
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-27-2023, 09:27 AM   #4
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

You might check the overcenter adjustment--the stud and nut on the top of the box. You can tighten it a bit at a time until there is almost no slop in the steering wheel, but be sure not to overtighten it.
Second, while on the front end alignment machine, plot toe-in vs suspension lift. In my experience with an A body, from the fairly low static height, I can get 4" lift with small increases in toe-in, but more than that results in big increases in toe-in. Therefore, I use the upper snubber height to limit the possible lift.
When the front wheels touch down, you don't want a lot of toe-in.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 09:29 AM   #5
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

BTW, I have the quicker stock manual box which gives 5.3 turns lock to lock and it is fine on runs (mid 11 sec/ 118-119 mph car, so slower than yours, of course) but hard to steer when almost stopped on pavement. The slower box gives 6.25 turns lock-to-lock.

Last edited by Run to Rund; 07-28-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #6
CraigG

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

very similar to Chevelle as an GM A body too.
Old 07-27-2023, 05:35 PM   #7
Bob F

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Possibly needs some caster added
Bob F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:12 AM   #8
barnym17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There should also be an adjustment on the end of the steering box suggest consulting service manual for specs.
barnym17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 09:05 AM   #9
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I have a 70 Chevelle. 10.0 index car.
I put tall front top ball joints in. Helped bump steer and camber. I have limited travel with bolt Thru upper arm where it hits the bump stop on upper chassis. Otherwise you get excessive travel with the upper arm more parallel with the ground at ride height. Also check your rag joint. If you have one. Some good advice here Thru this thread. Make sure everything is right and articulates smooth. Remove shocks and check. Then check with shocks in place. Hopefully wherever you are is a good race shop that understand our cars. My guy retired so I’m outta luck locally that I know of on Long Island.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 05:35 PM   #10
CraigG

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hey Everybody,
Gentlemen, thank you for all your assistance. My current plan is to put on the Global West steering knuckles kit for mitigating bump steer, getting a new 24 to 1 Saginaw manual steering box and returning to the four wheel alignment for re-check and especially rechecking toe in.
Thanks again, Craig
Liked