HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-23-2023, 04:29 PM   #1
RonP

Liked 24 Times in 11 Posts
Default AC Delco Oil Filters

I was looking for a PF25 oil filter,....looks like it was replaced by PF454.
I am doing the oil change on my father's 69 Chevelle with 396 engine.
Looking for comments on AC Delco filter for 396's.
Thanks,
Ron
RonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 04:49 PM   #2
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts
Default Re: AC Delco Oil Filters

If you want to stay w/ AC Delco filter the PF1218 is taller than that PF454. I always have had excellent service from the Delco oil filters. Many now are being made outside of North America if that matters. Also some will tout the Wix and K&N brands, I have also used those on 427, 468 and 496ci rat motors. Not a fan of the dreaded orange FR@M brand, had a really bad experience approx 30yrs ago.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 09:13 AM   #3
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: AC Delco Oil Filters

Don't ever use an orange Fram filter on anything. We had one collapse internally and we were having less than 20 PS! at the gauge. I assumed the oil pump failed, out came the engine, off came the pan and in went a new pump. Reinstalled the engine, same thing. The suggestion went out to try an AC Delco filter. I did, and instant 55 PSI. We discontinued all use of orange Fram filters in all race cars, tow cars, trucks, and anything we had that rolled. I've been using the Napa 1061 ever since with no problems.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 11:22 AM   #4
Eman

Liked 105 Times in 60 Posts

I haven't used a PF25 in years always used the PF35 which changed to a PF1218. A few years ago AC Delco cheapened up their filters. I would go to the parts store and look for the taller PF1218 boxes and buy all they had. The newer shorter ones were much lighter, and the internals weren't as good as the old. I quit using AC Delco and switched to WIX.
Eman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2023, 12:44 PM   #5
Joe Martens

Liked 181 Times in 62 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Joe Martens

I use only Wix or Napa Gold filter which is made by Wix. The AC Delco filters have a cheap plastic sleeve whereas the Wix has the metal sleeve.
Old 07-24-2023, 01:01 PM   #6
CMcAllister

Liked 746 Times in 206 Posts

Speaking from the perspective of some time spent in a chain auto parts, you can no longer assume that the filter brand you buy today was made by the company who made it in the past, or is still made in the USA.

The "pandemic" changed all that. Companies have bought other companies and/or changed suppliers. Companies outsourced when they were unable to supply certain SKUs. Production was moved to other countries. Even buying a familiar name brand is no guarantee it was made by them. I'm seeing Mann/Hummel on many products now, even if it's not in a Mann box..

Looking at the fine print on the box or the part doesn't even tell who made it sometimes. Just have to do some research and pay attention to what you are buying.

To my knowledge, NAPA Gold popular numbers are still Wix, but you have to pay attention.

Last edited by CMcAllister; 07-24-2023 at 01:05 PM.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-24-2023, 01:45 PM   #7
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I dont use any parts store oil filters on my race engine. About 12 years ago i lost an engine from an AC Delco oil filter collapse. It had the plastic inside piece. That broke and collapsed. Since then I have been using a System 1 oil filter and it has been great. Easy to clean and check. much more free flowing than a paper element
Old 07-31-2023, 05:50 AM   #8
SSGN

Liked 130 Times in 46 Posts
Lightbulb Re: AC Delco Oil Filters

As stated you have to check where any product is made all the time. The Wix filters we have been getting ( Napa Also) have been made everywhere but the US. My Buick Wix filter (51040) is now made in china!
I went back to A/C Delco filters,still made by Champion labs. I went to my local dealer and all the filters on the shelf were made in USA. GM puts the blue filters on engines in new super charged Vetts, Camaros and CTS-V that make 600 + HP and warranty them for 60K. All crate motors including the 720 and now 1000HP BBC are all the Delco Blue filters. The term buyer beware has never been more true.

Kevin
SSGN is offline   Reply With Quote