HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 09-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
davezinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default life after Super Stock for the Hemi A-bodies?

i'm curious where the Hemi Darts and Barracuda's went after Super Stock? they obviously kept racing them but in what classes? i'm interested in pictures and information about these cars as they existed and were raced in the 70's and 80's if anyone is interested in sharing.

Dave
davezinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Mike Carr
VIP Member

Liked 80 Times in 34 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Mike Carr Send a message via MSN to Mike Carr Send a message via Yahoo to Mike Carr
Default Re: life after Super Stock for the Hemi A-bodies?

oops

Last edited by Mike Carr; 09-06-2010 at 01:44 PM.
Mike Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
Steve1118

Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts

Quite a few of them were transitioned into "match race" stockers, the early Pro Stock cars. That movement became real big in 1969, which caused NHRA to recognize it as an eliminator in 1970. A lot of the Darts and Cudas were in the fields of early Pro Stock NHRA racing.

A lot of them stayed in Super Stock, and a lot of them were parked. Most are still in existence, but few of the originals are racing. I think that Chuck Comella's Dart is the only gennie racing. An original one is worth a ton of money. I know where there is one parked in a guy's game room in the Pittsburgh area. No kidding. Bob George has his original, it is probably the most original in the country, as it has the original motor in it.

Last edited by Steve1118; 09-06-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: attach picture
Steve1118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #4
Jared Jordan

Liked 222 Times in 68 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan

Raybourn's Dart is also an original car.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM   #5
stefan callender

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1118 View Post
Quite a few of them were transitioned into "match race" stockers, the early Pro Stock cars. That movement became real big in 1969, which caused NHRA to recognize it as an eliminator in 1970. A lot of the Darts and Cudas were in the fields of early Pro Stock NHRA racing.

A lot of them stayed in Super Stock, and a lot of them were parked. Most are still in existence, but few of the originals are racing. I think that Chuck Comella's Dart is the only gennie racing. An original one is worth a ton of money. I know where there is one parked in a guy's game room in the Pittsburgh area. No kidding. Bob George has his original, it is probably the most original in the country, as it has the original motor in it.
John Friel plans on a comeback one day, thats an original. Isnt Dailys car an original??
stefan callender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
davezinn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i know that cars for Pro Stock were required to be only so old, so i understand why some cars were "updated" with later model sheet metal or trim. what about Modified Production? i'm curious too about the match race thing, were those cars classed or what is pretty much a heads up run what 'ya brung thing?

i'm also interested in when the tires started getting bigger and when did racers begin to tub and modify the rear springs and so forth for bigger tires. did this too happen around 1970 with the introduction of Pro Stock?

sorry if it seems like i'm asking some funny questions here. i'm 36 and wasn't around for this stuff but i'm very interested in it and want to learn about racing from the 70's and 80's era's and the cars, parts, modifications, etc.

Dave
davezinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davezinn View Post
i know that cars for Pro Stock were required to be only so old, so i understand why some cars were "updated" with later model sheet metal or trim. what about Modified Production? i'm curious too about the match race thing, were those cars classed or what is pretty much a heads up run what 'ya brung thing?

i'm also interested in when the tires started getting bigger and when did racers begin to tub and modify the rear springs and so forth for bigger tires. did this too happen around 1970 with the introduction of Pro Stock?

sorry if it seems like i'm asking some funny questions here. i'm 36 and wasn't around for this stuff but i'm very interested in it and want to learn about racing from the 70's and 80's era's and the cars, parts, modifications, etc.

Dave
I remember the tires on Grumpys 68 Carmaro and Sox's Hemi 'Cuda in Pro Stock during 1970 were 12.2 X 31.2 "W" size. I dont believe the 14 X 32's had been introduced yet at that time. Tubbbing the wheel housings for S/S wasnt allowed until a couple of years after all of the Jr. stocks were made to run S/S in 1972. You had to run a tire that fit the existing OEM wheel wells and no rear end narrowing was allowed but that rule was "Fudged" a lot in those days just as things are done today. The 10.5 tires were used a lot back then even on the 68 Hemi 'Cudas and Darts when new from Hurst Corp. You were allowed to move the rear leaf springs for clearance. OMG ! That was about 40 years ago !
Early Modified Production cars had to use 7 inch slicks. Match racing was a big deal back in the day as it was a major sorce of income for Dyno Don, Da Grump, Sox, Bob Glidden and all the rest when Pro Stock became popular. Usually anything was allowed for match racing such as large engines, weight removal, etc. They really didnt get into funny fuels like back in the old altered wheelbase days of 65/66. The fans loved it and its a shame match racing dosent happen today. I think they are missing the boat on this. When I first got Top Stock introduced I tried to arrange some match races of those guys but there was no interest from the local tracks or the racers it seemed. It would have helped promote the heads up concept in stock but its all accient history now.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 09-06-2010 at 03:03 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have done a little bit of history on these cars and spoken with many of the owners. Many cars were updated and run in Pro Stock - I think there was a 2-3 year rule at the time. The Barracudas were updated to 69 models and ran for a year - many Darts were updated to 70 models and run longer. Many of these cars that were updated to 70 models are still missing. In talking to many 2nd owners, they added a tunnel ram and ran M/P - the cars were a natural B/MP and with some lightening A/MP. Some of the owners said that the factory racers - Mancini, Lilly & Tedder lowered the record so much that they were not competitive - remember they ran of the national record at the time. Once in a while you will also see one being raced in the early 70's in C/Gas. Later, some were fitted with 440's or retained the Hemi and bracket raced.
Mark J
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #9
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

There are a number of "Factory" cars still racing (kinda)
Chuck Comella
Harold Leiter
Jim Pancake's Barracuda
Rayburn's Barracuda - I belive has been sold to another racer
Randy Hopkins Dart
There are others as well
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Frito

Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts

I was going to suggest he get up with you or Dell. How about the Lewis & Keys cuda? They were entered for Indy but a no show this year.