HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-27-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,453 Times in 1,956 Posts
Default "Live" from Indy US Nationals 2017

We are on our way with a big "L" on our foreheads! 2 step problem and we were out 1st round! But after dumping and filling up with water all we need USA fuel stop and we should be there by about 2 Indy time.

Feel free to post and let us know what is happening !'
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:13 AM   #2
Mike Delahanty
VIP Member

Liked 226 Times in 37 Posts
Default Re: "Live" from Indy US Nationals 2017

Larry and Patsy, thanks for cutting the ribbon to officially kick off the 2017 US Nationals reporting. There are lots of "interesting", important and entertaining topics in the air that will make this one of the biggest threads ever on Class Racer.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #3
James Russell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FYI to everyone -- they're stacking early here, in the main gate field. Rig #48 just pulled in.
James Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
Frito

Liked 116 Times in 38 Posts

Yep. Started stacking at 9:00AM.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:26 PM   #5
Cotten

Liked 485 Times in 58 Posts

Probably about 75 here now at 1:30.
Cotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 01:30 PM   #6
doglover44
VIP Member

Liked 394 Times in 181 Posts

So happy that it's Indy time again too bad for the 1st loss but this Indy thread will be great !
Old 09-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #7
Ken Miele
Live Reporter

Liked 13,011 Times in 1,224 Posts

Hey everyone,

I wanted to post this last week, but with the back to back racing from Indy to Etown, I just did not have the time.

The photo below shows Dan Fletcher with Peter Clifford and Graham Light presenting Dan with the National Dragster cover of his 100th win signed by them. While that was pretty cool and a exclusive photo, the conversation with Graham Light was very enlightening on how NHRA views the sportsman racer.

It was a very positive conversation and it makes me feel pretty good about the future of our sport. When Dan introduced me to Graham I thought, wow this is not going to go good. After expressing my concerns about the stacking and parking issues at Indy on Class Racer, I was thinking that he may not want to talk much about it or to me.

I could have not been more wrong. He was very concerned about our issues after reading the posts on Class Racer. Yes, NHRA does listen to us, even though we may not think they care or read our posts. He was cordial and polite and eager to talk about our concerns.

He told me that they were prepared with extra staff on hand and instructed all staff to get us parked in a timely manner along with keeping the credential line moving fast, which is what happened. The entire NHRA staff did a great job in getting us parked and ready for racing the next day.

When I ask Graham why the change for Indy, he said it was to stream line and make it easier for the racer when attending these racers. They want to cut some of the time racers have to wait to get tech and credentials. If we can eliminate one day, we can save the racer and NHRA some of the cost. He feels if the racer can take one day less off of work and have one day less for the NHRA staff, it can reduce cost for both. He said financial reasons always come into play with these decisions, but he emphasized the sportsman racer is just as important as cost savings. I told him I can understand the reasoning behind this, but not for Indy. At Indy most racers take the whole week off. And many are racing the weekend before Indy. The extra day being parked on Monday gives all of us a chance to work on our cars. Hopefully this can be worked out for next year, they do listen.

I did not have time to ask him the dozens of questions that were in my head, but I came away having a better understanding. I was always taught not judge someone decisions unless you have walked in their shoes. I thought this years Indy was one of the best I have ever attended. Despite some of the negative posts, (I being one of them ) it turned out to be a great race. Tech was alive and well with many cars in the barn. The track was in very good shape with the amount of cars that went down, and most of all no major incidents or anyone getting hurt. I'm already looking forward to next year.

I never got a chance to talk to Peter Clifford as Evan Smith was talking to him about the Factory Stock Showdown cars. Evan did say he came out of the conversation with a positive outlook for the future of that class.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0553.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	336.9 KB
ID:	42469  
Ken Miele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #8
BBF67

Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts

Excellent post Ken. I am glad to see that NHRA admits reading Class Racer Forum and takes some of what is written on this forum under consideration. We will never know if the thread dealing with the possibility of no teardown at Indy had any bearing on NHRA's decision to go ahead and have it after all. The main thing is NHRA did have a teardown and it seemed to go well for everyone. Racers and forum viewers came away with a feeling that NHRA is still concerned about the legality of the cars in Stock and S/S. Thank you NHRA for listening when it comes to Sportsman racers.
BBF67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
Mike Delahanty
VIP Member

Liked 226 Times in 37 Posts

Ditto Ken on the well done post.

I'll second what Ken said about the NHRA readership of Class Racer. I had several meetings at Indy with NHRA management and Class Racer was mentioned by several of the key NHRA management members.

One more comment - I came away from the meetings with a high level of optimism for NHRA Sportsman racing. They are listening and actively working on ways to make our racing experience better. This may include changes to the ways things have always been done - but they are being done with a long term win-win objective in mind. The Indy racer parking was a great example that we all need to learn from.

It will never be the same as it was. The key is to keep the racing going and growing in the face of lots of external challenges that we all face every day in the real world.