Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-15-2016, 01:00 AM   #11
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts
Default Re: Veterans day story

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
In retrospect,looking back on the very real stories depicted here,some things come to mind-the people who called you bad names upon your return(baby killer) were the most liberal offscouring this country has had. Also, to add to their hypocrisy, aren't they pro-abortion? Also, I visited the traveling wall with my wife when it was set up in Covina Park around ten or so years ago,and that is the most somber emotion stirring tear jerker of a sight that ever existed. Those are real people with real lives and real situations that are etched into that surface. I will never forget it or the way that it made me feel.Also, I never really gave it much thought regarding not being drafted,I worked,put myself through school,and was quite busy during those years and beyond, and I guess I never took the time to think about it. I was born in 1954 and nobody my age was conscripted. Yes, I would have gone. There is something special about all you veterans, and I look up to all of you. Thanks again for your service.
On that wall you will find two of my State Department classmates Charles McMahon (May 10, 1953 – April 29, 1975) and Darwin Lee Judge (February 16, 1956 – April 29, 1975) were the last two United States servicemen killed in Vietnam during the Vietnam War. The two men, both U.S. Marines (Marine Embassy Guards), were killed in a rocket attack one day before the Fall of Saigon. Every April 29, I take moment to remember these young Marines that had their lives cut short and never got to enjoy the freedom they died for. God Bless them and Semper fi
Eddies66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:48 AM   #12
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 458 Times in 173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
Years ago, I worked at the LA County Mechanical Department main shop.We had a building manager who was a veteran. In discussing it with him, he mentioned that he had three Purple Hearts. He also said that he didn't discuss it. Later, one of his friends said he was part of a unit of around 140 soldiers. He was the ONLY survivor of that unit. He also said that he and three friends went out one evening a few weeks or so after his discharge and some little liberal puke made a disparaging remark about him for serving. All he knew is that it took all three of his friends to pull him off the antagonist. He thumped him bad enough that they got out of there ASAP before any heat got there. Apparently, there was one of the little basket of failures that needed a lesson in how to properly respect our veterans. Long may our flag wave over those who served.
Greg, my friend, I am sure the story told by your friend was intended to be accurate, and I am sure that he saw action. I would not recommend calling him on his story. The memory gets a little rusty after about 50 years.

Three purple hearts means "wounded in action 3 times". In Viet Nam...2 WOI and you were out of there. Now, conceivable the guy could have also gotten wounded in Korea.

Additionally..the only survivor out of 140 fighters, does not sound realistic. Was he a medal of honor winner?

140 men is approximately the size of a Company....5 officers, 20 NCO's, 16 M60's, 16 radio operators with M16s, 16 M79 grenade launchers, and the remaining with M16s and grenades. Plus we always had artillery behind us plus gun ship and fighter jets if necessary. Additionally..search and destroy was on the squad and platoon level. As I recall, all combat involving a company or battalion was to secure a position and had lots of artillary.

I never heard of a company getting wiped out in Viet Nam...maybe, but doesn't sound likely.

Please do not "call" your friend on his story, but it seems unlikely. In any regard, I am proud of him for serving his country.

Last edited by SStockDart; 11-16-2016 at 04:12 PM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:23 PM   #13
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Thank you for the great story you just experienced Mr. Hansen. I will always keep the faith in this great country you and many have defended.
I went to pine lawn national for a beautiful somber fall morning to see my dad. I visited a friends shop who is a Vietnam Veteran to thank him for helping me w my car and bought he and his wife lunch. Stopped at another veterans home who had passed away recently and said a prayer and stopped by another friends shop but his dad took the day off as he certainly deserves it for all he has done
It sure is a great country we live in
Chris OKeefe
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 646 Times in 207 Posts
Cool Re: Veterans day story

Gary, thank you for your service. As far as the co worker, he was a manager, I was a working stiff, I rarely saw him. One of the things he said before he had to sell it, was that he had a 63 409/425 horse Impala and what a bunch of fun that one was. I don't remember the details of his conversation other than that he received three Purple Hearts. The third one probably sent him stateside, now that you mention it. The details of the unit he was assigned to came to me through another older co-worker who knew him.I don't think anybody would try to lie about that,although his facts might have beed hazy. I haven't seen this veteran in over 30 years and have no idea where he is. I hope he's alive and doing well, just like I'm glad for all the vets I know who still are. Whatever the situation, that's what the story was that I got. He never discussed it with me, but I couldn't help but thank him.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 12:31 AM   #15
rawhide

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

I found this list of veterans who won 8 purple hearts in different wars. The only three that I am familiar with are Hackworth, Waugh,and Howard. Bob Howard was one of the baddest men on the planet. He died in 2010 and is buried at Arlington.

regards, Roland

Robert T. Frederick, U.S. Army: World War II (8)
David H. Hackworth, U.S. Army: Korean War (3), Vietnam War (5)
Joe Hooper, U.S. Army, Medal of Honor: Vietnam War (8)
Robert L. Howard, U.S. Army, Medal of Honor: Vietnam War (8)
William Waugh, U.S. Army: Vietnam War (8)
rawhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 01:22 AM   #16
SStockDart
VIP Member

Hey Roland...I stand corrected, I did not take the time to Google search the topic.......I was going by memory, and I am absolutely certain that I was told "2 WIA and you leave" I was trying to figure out how I could get injured in my left arm, twice...lol

I searched and found the same information you did...can you imagine 8 or even 5 WIA's. I served with some tough SOB's, but wounded 8 times..AND not dead????

Eddie will speak up pretty soon. I was in the Army.....Eddie is a Marine... He will clear it by saying they must have been Marines.

Coincidentally, last month was my 50th anniversary for being drafted.......Where has time gone? Thanks for the clarification, Roland.

Last edited by SStockDart; 11-18-2016 at 01:13 PM.
SStockDart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #17
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
Hey Roland...I stand corrected, I did not take the time to Google search the topic.......I was going by memory, and I am absolutely certain that I was told "2 WOI and you leave" I was trying to figure out how I could get injured in my left arm, twice...lol

I searched and found the same information you did...can you imagine 8 or even 5 WOI's. I served with some tough SOB's, but wounded 8 times..AND not dead????

Eddie will speak up pretty soon. I was in the Army.....Eddie is a Marine... He will clear it by saying they must have been Marines.

Coincidentally, last month was my 50th anniversary for being drafted.......Where has time gone? Thanks for the clarification, Roland.
No Gary, I have had the privilege of working with all branches of the service in my short 24 years except the Coast Guard. I have come to appreciate the sacrifices of each. The Marine unit in Vietnam that had the highest casualty rate was 1st Battalion, 9th Marines, known as the "Walking Dead": During the Vietnam War, the unit earned the name "The Walking Dead" for its high casualty rate. The battalion endured the longest sustained combat and suffered the highest killed in action (KIA) rate in Marine Corps history, especially during the Battle of July Two. The battalion was engaged in combat for 47 months and 7 days, from 15 June 1965 to 19 October 1966 and 11 December 1966 to 14 July 1969. Based on a typical battalion strength of 800 Marines and Navy hospital corpsmen, 93.63% (747) were Killed In Action (KIA) and 0.25% (2) were Missing In Action (MIA).

The real tragedy is the aftermath, even for a small town:

Donald Cisney US Army (PTSD - Drugs) D/S racer
Charlie Riggenbach USMC (PTSD - Alcohol) Gearhead
John Riggenbach US Army (PTSD - Drugs) Gearhead

These are the wounded that never got treatment and passed, these are the wounded that this country failed to recognize, these are the wounded that I am finding that need the most help.

Last edited by Eddies66; 11-18-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #18
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 646 Times in 207 Posts
Cool Re: Veterans day story

Back when I worked at the LA County shops, I was friends with a deputy sheriff who was 6 years older than I. He grew up in the town of Rogue River, along the 5, and attended Rogue River High School, class of 1966. The grad class was around 65 in number, and over half of the boys either enlisted or were draftees. Half of them never came back. The class reunion 10 years later was a sad experience. He lived there from 1960-66 or so, I lived 30 miles up the river from 62-66. We had a lot of fun experiences. He also had a 69 Z-28 Camaro named Mighty Mouse that he raced at Irwindale in the 70's. It was a pretty serious race car for its time. He sold it before we worked together.
That kind of thing is what devastates a town of any size. Eddie, keep up the outstanding good work.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 04:28 PM   #19
SStockDart
VIP Member

Eddie, poor choice of words on my part. In no way was my comment intended to be a derogatory comment about Marines.
Old 11-18-2016, 07:57 PM   #20
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
Eddie, poor choice of words on my part. In no way was my comment intended to be a derogatory comment about Marines.
And I didn't take it in anyway but honoring those that served.