Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #241
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
And the other 3 % is why 97 % of us race this class in the first place .....
Yes!!
Old 07-07-2017, 07:37 PM   #242
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,035 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Niceswanger View Post
And the other 3 % is why 97 % of us race this class in the first place .....

Exactly.

And a lot of us want more performance incentives added, such as class contested at every event, as well as real points and real money paid for winning class and qualifying well. The balance is off, and it can be adjusted to be improved.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #243
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Roehrich View Post
Exactly.

And a lot of us want more performance incentives added, such as class contested at every event, as well as real points and real money paid for winning class and qualifying well. The balance is off, and it can be adjusted to be improved.
Look at my proposal to Nhra. Probably back on page 18 by now.....
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 05:06 PM   #244
Birch motor cars

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson View Post
Bruce, im not trying to be too bitter, i understand what you mean about racing NHRA and IHRA but poeple that run crate motors do not get the same benefit to do so...i just thought we are all racers we all race for the same reasons.....but then you get Mr Rhodes saying carte motor cars would dilute the class....i just don't see any problem .... and ive never seen a crate motor car fail a tear down but i sure do hear alot of those other SA cars faling tech....
Thats because they are not stock.
Birch motor cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:22 PM   #245
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

And, their indexes are way too soft.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #246
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Crate Motor Class

NHRA Stock is not "Stock" anymore either and NHRA cars typically enjoy a .3 softer index in IHRA. Since crate engines don't run heads-up against "conventional" Stockers, what's the problem? There aren't that many top qualifying crates and the majority of top qualifiers typically depends on the region that a particular event is contested in. Some events have more crates near the top while others have more conventional cars. But if more NHRA cars showed up, there would be more of them at the top. Either way, both "types" have an index and specs that have to be met. Dial it and may the best driver/tuner win. Crates can run Holley carbs or OEM. There are both carbs in NHRA, just not optional. But they still have to be tuned.

I've mentioned it before.....I built an IHRA combo because it was more affordable to build as well as to attend their events. Plus, I knew nothing about Thermoquads. My budget finally did allow me to finish a Mopar Stocker last year, after a few years time and a lot of help from another racer. It ran the 1/4 mile index with no tuning, but mechanical issues have kept it sidelined. I have nothing against heads-up races. I know I'll never be among the fastest, but I'll just do the best I can and be happy that I can race. Fortunately there still are "class" and heads-up races. But Stock can't survive with that as a priority, despite the emphasis on performance. Look at it this way, if more people find it worthwhile to get involved in Stock, just can't afford to be a top contender in their class, there will be more opportunities for the existing top contenders to win heads-up runs!

Bottom line is that if moral and enthusiasm isn't boosted, just degraded by complaining and looking for faults or excuses, there won't be a class for Stock in either sanctioning body. I admire the original concept of Stock and IHRA Pure Stock. But seriously, Stock ISN'T Stock anymore. Crates do promote interest in the class, IHRA and NHRA. But people need to look at the positives, work together and race together, which can encourage more people to participate with whatever combo and at whatever level they can afford. I'm glad I got my foot in the door because I don't know how much longer that door will stay open.

It's all been said before with little positive result. But, FWIW, I feel a little better after expressing my views.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:11 PM   #247
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Yes!!
Not only is it the Heads up racing that helped define our Class Racing.
There is also who became Number one qualifier.
Class Racing has bragging rights...such as setting a National Record.

Our cars have something to measure against.
Our cars have to be more refined.
Limited on what we can do to go fast.
Yet need brains and wit to do it.
Plus the huge variety of combinations that Bracket Racers would never consider.

Bracket Racing is fun....but having a Stocker is Funner!...

I think IHRA is brilliant trying to think outside the box.
Crate Motor class has brought back a host of cool cars.
Especially car with harder to find engines.

Wish there was a version of Pure Stock that could use Crate Engines.
Using same Pure Stock Rules, identify a set of approved engines.
Especially ones that exist and bolt in.

Stock Rocks.

D
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #248
Birch motor cars

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Cool Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson View Post
I've never understood why NHRA stocker drivers hate us crate motor cars so much.......its like we aren't good enough we are the poor people that can't get into the good resturants.....not trying to start anything just wondering why all yall hate it so bad
Im with you brother, they act as if we are not worthy. If they think they dont have crate motors they are kidding them selves, there motors are as crate as ours ours. They built them just like we built ours, with a parts list from the same rule book. The complainers must want the class to die the way I look at it. Im building a 350 330hp crate right now and proud to say it !!!
Birch motor cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 01:13 PM   #249
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 939 Times in 259 Posts

Really?! You think NHRA Stock Eliminator will die without allowing crate motor classes in to muddy the waters?
According to my most recent Nitro Joe Stats book (July 2017 edition), IHRA Stock total car count for 1/8th mile events was 116 cars, of which 37 were crate engine classes. For 1/4 mile events, there was a total of 54 cars in Stock (all classes), with TWO crate motor cars! (by the way, at 1/8th mile events, there was a whopping FIVE Pure Stockers and in 1/4 mile ONE Pure Stocker.
By comparision, the same time period showed a total of 1081 Stockers were entered in NHRA events. Maybe a bit lower than in past years, but hardly withering on the vine, even without Create Motor, Pure Stock, Stock GT, or seperate FI classes.
Also, saying that a Crate motor is exactly the same as NHRA Stocker engine is ridiculous. Although NHRA has allowed SOME combinations to use approved aftermarket cylinder heads, or similar configuration carburators, and in a few cases intake manifolds, it is hardly the same as IHRA Crate engines which can be mostly built from aftermarket pieces right out of the Summit or Jegs catalog.
Old 08-31-2017, 03:25 PM   #250
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Xx

Last edited by KEN BUGAJ; 09-23-2017 at 07:43 AM.
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote