HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #41
Wendy Carr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Veteran Issues

I am a volunteer at a VA Hospital and have learned many things since I started. I am also a very active VFW member. I will soon be taking training to be able to assist veterans in the "My Healthy Vet" program.
Some of the things veterans are not told: A spouse can be compensated for taking care of their spouse monetarily. A spouse can receive compensation to help with costs of living in an assisted living facility. My Mom received $1133 a month towards her expenses. This only applies to assisted living and not a nursing home. I urge you to get documentation on everything pertaining to "agent orange" Some claims HAD to be made within 2 years of your discharge. Depending on your type of claim. In Pennsylvania a veteran that receives 100% disability from the VA will no longer have to pay real estate tax, for licenses plates, hunting and fishing licenses.
You state should have a booklet available that explains veterans benefits either at their facilities or the VA located through your state courthouses, Another valuable resource is you Service Officers through the VFW, American Legion, DAV. or any other service connected organization.
Sadly, the length of time to get a claim approved can be quite lengthy. My advice is if you haven't heard in 3 months from the VA, contact the person who filed the claim. I had a veteran that hadn't heard anything 2 years after he filed an soon found out that the service officer had never filed it. YOU MUST BE PRO-ACTIVE with your case. It took my husband 11 months to be approved. You can file the claims online but I recommend having someone that is a trained Service Officer to assist you and if need be they can expedite your claim.
If you have any questions I would be glad to help you or I can direct you to our Service Officer that is the head VSO for the VFW in the state of Pennsylvania. He is a very knowledgeable and sharp young man.
Wendy Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #42
Wendy Carr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I forgot to mention that the money you receive in compensation is tax free. I know my husband was resistant and would not go to the VA for anything. These benefits are for ALL veterans. They are not just for veterans that were extremely injured. These benefits could make a huge impact in your families lives, Viet Nam Veterans of America are working and trying to link illness between veterans (male and female) to children and grandchildren. Such as multiple sclerosis, cleft palates, and numerous other disorders. I am also a member of VVA. There are many studies being done through Penn State regarding birth defects among children and grandchildren of Viet Nam veterans exposed to agent orange. So sign up for benefits not oly for yourself but your loved ones.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #43
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

Thanks Wendy, for both volunteering and your information.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM   #44
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Wendy---thanks for your work I know we all appreciate not only your efforts but the untold "Thousands" of others that are out there doing every little bit--- Unfortunately there are tons of benefits available to those that have served or are currently serving in the military---- Why you have to ask for them is a mystery to me. But nevertheless they do exist and if you truly need them they can be a God send. You just have to "keep on keepin on" and ASK,ASK ASK!!!! for any and every benefits---lotsa guys probably do not know you can get dental help and you might be eligible for FREE eyeglasses too.Discounts on prescription drugs,special footwear etc.
I just purchased a home in October 2013 ZERO MONEY DOWN AND no mortgage insurance or loan service charge with my VA disability benefits. Got 2 free hearing aids($6300) plus batteries NO CHARGE , a FREE pair of eyeglasses about every 8 months all in the last year..Stuff is out there you have to ASK--Dick Ullrich
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #45
Wendy Carr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Usually a claim of prostate cancer will put you at 100% disability. You will be at 100% as long as you are being treated weather it be "wait and watch" which means they will closely monitor the veteran, radiation treatments, or removal of prostate. I had a doctor at the VA tell me even with removal a doctor will never say you are cured, you may be in remission but no doctor can say you are completely cured of cancer. Therefore you in all probability receive 100% for the rest of your life.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:11 PM   #46
Wendy Carr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thank you FED 387 , I come from a long line of military men dating back to the Civil War. I learned at a young age from my Dad, a past Commander and Past District Commander of the American Legion to always have respect for our veterans. I enjoy what I do and love my veterans.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #47
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts

Wendy is absolutely right about having an advocate i.e., VFW, DAV or American Legion. Gail Hudson, Regional Director of the DAV, was instrumental in getting my claim through in 90 days in 1997. I am forever grateful.
Eddies66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:33 PM   #48
Eddies66
VIP Member

A Wisconsin Army veteran says an employment recruiter slammed her service and wrote in an e-mail that he believed she joined the military for the paycheck "not my freedom," The Stevens Point Journal reported.
Gabriella Barrett, 23, who was medically discharged from the Army in 2011, was reportedly in line for a customer service job at a Stevens Point, Wis., company. She was screened by Randstad, a recruiting company. But as she was putting the finishing touches on the hiring process she told the paper an employee at the firm, Sergio Ortiz, sent her an "infuriating" e-mail.

"I believe you choose to go into the Army for a paycheck not my freedom," the e-mail reportedly said. "So you will not be getting a thank you from me. I would have freedom regardless of your voluntary service."
Barrett claims the email came after an argument, which ended in Ortiz calling her military service meaningless.

"My first thought was for all the service members who went through way worse than I did," Barrett said. "It's infuriating."

The paper and FoxNews.com contacted the company, and was told that Ortiz is no longer employed there.
Old 02-21-2014, 03:13 PM   #49
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 280 Times in 150 Posts

Wendy--- check on that 100% for Prostate Cancer--- it is usually only for a period of time like 6-18 months,then the patient is re-examined and a reduced award is given based on their current medical condition --- usually around between 30-60% depending on the medical examiners findings and evaluation
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 03:41 PM   #50
Eddies66
VIP Member

I hope this will be a little helpful: http://www.vawatchdog.org/Prostate_Cancer.html