HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-14-2014, 10:01 AM   #31
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts
Cool Re: Veteran Issues

Eddie--Thanks for the work you have put into this. Vets need to stick together on this and not count on support from the current batch of politicians, although enough uprising does produce results. Your help and efforts on behalf of the Wounded Warrior projects have been very appreciated for this very worthwhile project.It was great visiting with you at the Winternationals last week, hope to see you at Irwindale.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #32
Eddies66
VIP Member

Liked 794 Times in 383 Posts
Default Re: Veteran Issues

Spent an hour with an Assemblywomen, who is the Chair for the CA Veteran Affairs Committee, today discussing the establishment of a California Transition Assistance Program (CAL Tap) that will address the placement of transitioning Vets into the trades via the apprenticeship programs of the trades. This will include Wounded Warriors. Feel very positive that we will get an endorsement for grant money to make this happen.

Last edited by Eddies66; 02-14-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Eddies66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:07 PM   #33
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddies66 View Post
Spent an hour with an Assemblywomen, who is the Chair for the CA Veteran Affairs Committee, today discussing the establishment of a California Transition Assistance Program (CAL Tap) that will address the placement of transitioning Vets into the trades via the apprenticeship programs of the trades. This will include Wounded Warriors. Feel very positive that we will get an endorsement for grant money to make this happen.
Hey Ed...thank you for your passion, I am sure that more people thank you than say so to your face..... for me....Thank you....... What you did for the aged lady a few months ago........to me, my friend, you have earned your place in heaven....(even though I disagree with your political views....LOL)
Old 02-14-2014, 11:07 PM   #34
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
Hey Ed...thank you for your passion, I am sure that more people thank you than say so to your face..... for me....Thank you....... What you did for the aged lady a few months ago........to me, my friend, you have earned your place in heaven....(even though I disagree with your political views....LOL)
Thank you Greg and Gary! It is something that needs to be done and I will never rest as long as I can throw the rope back over the wall and help my brothers and sisters.

What fun would it be if everyone agreed?
Old 02-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #35
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 459 Times in 174 Posts

Interestingly, I got my first "form letter" today from the Department of Veterans Affairs. the letter indicates that they are processing my application and they apologize for the delay.

So, the wheels of progress are turning....that is a good thing.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:38 PM   #36
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
Interestingly, I got my first "form letter" today from the Department of Veterans Affairs. the letter indicates that they are processing my application and they apologize for the delay.

So, the wheels of progress are turning....that is a good thing.
Gary, That is a form letter and they will continue to put one out about once a month. Hang in there!!
Old 02-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #37
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Eddie,
Thanks for your help with Dad's VA claim. Your information, even though it was free, had real value. I know it's been almost 2 years, but he finally got his first check. We ended up doing just like you said and going to the Vet affairs office. We had been working on this, jumping through their hoops, sending additional information (that they had in front of them, most of the time) for almost 2 years. Since Dad was a double WW11 vet, USAAF & Marine Corp, the Vet affairs officer was he** bent to get him the in home care benefit we applied for. It helped that he was a retired Marine, too.
It took about 60 days after he re applied all the very same forms and info I had already sent 1 1/2 years before. He had a cover sheet he typed up, signed, and put in the packet that was mailed from his office. I wish I knew what he had written on that cover sheet. We started getting phone calls telling us of the progress of Dads application. They informed us several times that we were getting documents mailed to us. We are even getting back benefits to the original time that we applied. That sure helps with the past out of pocket expenses. We have spent over 40,000 since May of last year on his care. I went by his office the other day and thanked him and he grabbed 2 more forms to fill out for medicine and medical care benefits. What a guy! :~) The only bad thing we had to deal with was Dad. I had to remove all his guns from his home. That didn't go over very good. They consider this dementia and Alzheimer’s as a mental illness. Esp. since I have to handle all his business affairs. I think it is a good thing to keep his guns away from him. When I was removing them his caregiver told me he would get a .22 rifle out and mess with it. She said he was not careful with it at all and would point it all over the room. I wish I had known that before hand. I would have taken steps to stop it. So there is way more good coming out of this than just getting his benefits. He seems happy and content with his life style. I think the best info you gave me was to be patient. Thanks again for your tips/pointers and kind words of encouragement.
Adger Smith

Last edited by Adger Smith; 02-16-2014 at 02:24 PM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:48 PM   #38
Eddies66
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Eddie,
Thanks for your help with Dad's VA claim. Your information, even though it was free, had real value. I know it's been almost 2 years, but he finally got his first check. We ended up doing just like you said and going to the Vet affairs office. We had been working on this, jumping through their hoops, sending additional information (that they had in front of them, most of the time) for almost 2 years. Since Dad was a double WW11 vet, USAAF & Marine Corp, the Vet affairs officer was he** bent to get him the in home care benefit we applied for. It helped that he was a retired Marine, too.
It took about 60 days after he re applied all the very same forms and info I had already sent 1 1/2 years before. He had a cover sheet he typed up, signed, and put in the packet that was mailed from his office. I wish I knew what he had written on that cover sheet. We started getting phone calls telling us of the progress of Dads application. They informed us several times that we were getting documents mailed to us. We are even getting back benefits to the original time that we applied. That sure helps with the past out of pocket expenses. We have spent over 40,000 since May of last year on his care. I went by his office the other day and thanked him and he grabbed 2 more forms to fill out for medicine and medical care benefits. What a guy! :~) The only bad thing we had to deal with was Dad. I had to remove all his guns from his home. That didn't go over very good. They consider this dementia and Alzheimer’s as a mental illness. Esp. since I have to handle all his business affairs. I think it is a good thing to keep his guns away from him. When I was removing them his caregiver told me he would get a .22 rifle out and mess with it. She said he was not careful with it at all and would point it all over the room. I wish I had known that before hand. I would have taken steps to stop it. So there is way more good coming out of this than just getting his benefits. He seems happy and content with his life style. I think the best info you gave me was to be patient. Thanks again for your tips/pointers and kind words of encouragement.
Adger Smith
Adger, This is great news for one of the "Greatest Generation" and I am always glad to help in any way.

Regards,

Ed Kaatz
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #39
chris ok

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

I'm Chris O'Keefe. Ed Kaatz helped one of my closest friends moms here. I am forever grateful to Ed for what he did for me for her.
You guys here are entitiled. I know you don't like that word. But, you are. I hope you all take the best advantage of these hidden programs that Ed and others are unearthing. I as an American. Son of a Korean War Battle Veteran hopes you tell others you know too.
This is great and invaluable to you.
There are far to many takers in this country as has been mentioned and I do not want to dwell or speak on that matter. It is you who matters.
Thanks again Ed for all you do.
There are so many great people on this site who I really enjoy reading about.
It certainly includes every man in this topic.
My best wishes to you all and and thank you for your time in helping keep our freedom.

Sincerely, Chris O'Keefe.
Son of a 25th Infantry Veteran. 1950-51.Korea. He was just a 20 year old kid but came home a great man. May he r.i.p.
chris ok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 02:11 PM   #40
Eddies66
VIP Member

Tell Congress Veterans Deserve Better
Operation: Keep the Promise will rally thousands of veterans & supporters across the country on the same day, Feb. 25, to hold Congress accountable. We need your help to urge Congress to put veterans first.
The most critical reform needed today is for Congress to vote on – and pass – the bipartisan Putting Veterans Funding First Act, providing advance appropriations for all VA programs.

Let’s work together to tell Congress to pass this legislation, shielding all VA’s programs, benefits and service from Washington’s political budget battles.

Next to face-to-face meetings, calling your members of Congress is the most effective way to make your voice heard. DAV’s new Phone2Action program makes this easy. It automatically connects you by phone with your members of Congress, providing instructions and tips on what to say before you are connected.