HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition

Old 01-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #21
Axis Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Competetive 4-cylinders in Comp?

With RWD conversions allowed, what sort of limits are there on the front clip? I understand that the body panels must resemble OEM pieces, does the radiator core support have to remain untouched? Also, engine placement doesn't seem to be an issue with Rwd conversions being allowed?

That's the wierd thing about the SS/MX classes, their more like a Comp class run with SS procedural rules, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagen Gary View Post
Have you looked into SS/EX?
I think you’re going to have a hard time running the 10.80 SS/CX index when you can't modify the front clip enough to make it work. SS/EX index is 10.50, you could run methanol, engine location and body mod rules are a lot more liberal, Its 11.5 lbs per inch and you won't have to compete with 260+ cubic inch V6 RWD cars that can run 1.00 in bracket mode and are only going to bring the SS/CX index down. Good luck, we need more of these cars
Axis Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #22
Hagen Gary
Live Reporter

Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts

The engine can't be moved more than 10% of the wheelbase from stock. Also, SS/EX was introduced for All Motor Import cars. I'm sure Art could tell you about how much you have to do to the front fenders that would make it not resemble stock. SS/EX would be a lot more freindly in that area as well as the wt break is .5 lighter. Thats 60 lbs in your car, only .30 index diff.
Hagen Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 AM   #23
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
The engine can't be moved more than 10% of the wheelbase from stock. Also, SS/EX was introduced for All Motor Import cars. I'm sure Art could tell you about how much you have to do to the front fenders that would make it not resemble stock. SS/EX would be a lot more freindly in that area as well as the wt break is .5 lighter. Thats 60 lbs in your car, only .30 index diff.
The big difference in the EX class is it has to remain FWD.
I had a problem with NHRA a couple of years ago. I had aftermarket fiberglass fenders (which are allowed in my class). Nobodys makes a racing (lightweight) fender for a neon, so I bought a set of street fenders. They had loovers in them (like the Z cars).
I run all the inners fenders, so there was absolutly no air stream advantage. I ran them for 2 years without any problems. But when I ran at the E'town national race. I was told they were not legal. That I had to replace them before I could race again, letters stating that were sent to all division directors, and myself.
I could have just bondo'd the holes up and stuck a decal over them. But I went to my trusty computer, went on ebay and bought a pair of steel replacement fenders. I also bought a different fiberglass hood (my old one with the Hemi scoop cost me 1 to 2 mph)
I bought a LPHV spray gun at Harbor Freight. And some paint at Pep Boys. And learned how to paint a little.
The replacement fenders were each 6 pounds lighter than the fiberglass ones were. So I had to get a bigger battery to make up the difference.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:51 PM   #24
Axis Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The NHRA SS/CX rules closely mirror the Street All Motor rules used by the FWD crowd. Right now there are a few Honda's running 10.0-10.19's @ 2150lbs. with 164" engines, on gas. The "Pro" All-motor FWD cars are in the 9.0's-9.20's @ 1700lbs. with 164" engines. NHRA's rules for the SS/CX class are a bit more open than the Street All Motor rules, as well as coming in about 100lbs. lighter in weight. I am fairly confident that I can get in the 10.0-10.10's range in SS/CX trim @ 2050lbs. with a 164" engine.

Who's capable of running more than .700 under in SS/CX? Does than matter anywhere but at Indy? <---- Sorry, I'm a noob here!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 PM   #25
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis Racing View Post
The NHRA SS/CX rules closely mirror the Street All Motor rules used by the FWD crowd. Right now there are a few Honda's running 10.0-10.19's @ 2150lbs. with 164" engines, on gas. The "Pro" All-motor FWD cars are in the 9.0's-9.20's @ 1700lbs. with 164" engines. NHRA's rules for the SS/CX class are a bit more open than the Street All Motor rules, as well as coming in about 100lbs. lighter in weight. I am fairly confident that I can get in the 10.0-10.10's range in SS/CX trim @ 2050lbs. with a 164" engine.

Who's capable of running more than .700 under in SS/CX? Does than matter anywhere but at Indy? <---- Sorry, I'm a noob here!
I was talking about SS/EX I'm pretty sure Scott Kelly has run .7 or so under with his Scion.
SS/CX is a RWD class. FWD conversion means you change a FWD car to a RWD car. That makes a world of difference.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #26
Axis Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes RWD conversions are ALLOWED in SS/CX, but are not mandatory per NHRA tech...
Old 01-24-2012, 07:24 PM   #27
Hagen Gary
Live Reporter

Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts

I'm sure you "could" run it in SS/CX and run the index, but why? SS/EX is only .30 difference. From what you say, you could run under that index easy anyway without all the added benifits SS/EX offers.
Just about every SS/CX car can run a second under, not that it matters because there are so few, but its just not fair RWD vs FWD
Hagen Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #28
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
I'm sure you "could" run it in SS/CX and run the index, but why? SS/EX is only .30 difference. From what you say, you could run under that index easy anyway without all the added benifits SS/EX offers.
Just about every SS/CX car can run a second under, not that it matters because there are so few, but its just not fair RWD vs FWD
There are just many drawbacks with a FWD to be able to run headsup with an equal RWD car. It won't even be close.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #29
Axis Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Let's not argue the virtues of RWD or FWD since it's a moot point if you can't get a car down to minimum weight for the engine size if it's a RWD conversion @ 164"...
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis Racing View Post
Let's not argue the virtues of RWD or FWD since it's a moot point if you can't get a car down to minimum weight for the engine size if it's a RWD conversion @ 164"...
I'm not familiar with the type of car you are planning on running. But on my Neon trans is 60 pounds heavier than an stock A727 trans, my axles are heavier than a lightweight driveshaft. And I don't know exactly what my rear axle weights granted it is a lot lighter than a lightweight rearend.
I would gladly give up the weight. To use any gear ratio. Plus any tire (right now I use 20" tall tires that look like doughtnut spares). The highest I cross the finish line is 7200. My motor should make power past 8500.
The reason I don't turn the motor sideways (LOL) is the expense. And the index.