HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition

Old 01-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Axis Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Competetive 4-cylinders in Comp?

Who runs a competetive 4-cylinder Comp car, and what engine are they running?

Al Ackerman (engine ?)
Frank Aragona Jr. (engine ?)
Greco?
Axis Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Competitive 4-cylinders in Comp?

I'm a 4-cyl comp wannabe racer, so I go to the staging lanes when comp lines up when I'm not in my own race.

The Aragona cars have had a Mopar DOHC four recently, which I think is the same as a Mitsubishi. They also made a Subaru engine work very well.

Ackerman had a splayed-valve Chevy head on what I believe is a Pontiac Super Duty block

Charlie Greco's Opel that was driven by Dave Yediny had a combo similar to Ackerman's, but his Cobalt has a custom made block, also with a splayed-valve head.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 PM   #3
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Curcio View Post
I'm a 4-cyl comp wannabe racer, so I go to the staging lanes when comp lines up when I'm not in my own race.

The Aragona cars have had a Mopar DOHC four recently, which I think is the same as a Mitsubishi. They also made a Subaru engine work very well.

Ackerman had a splayed-valve Chevy head on what I believe is a Pontiac Super Duty block

Charlie Greco's Opel that was driven by Dave Yediny had a combo similar to Ackerman's, but his Cobalt has a custom made block, also with a splayed-valve head.
Tony. Frank Aragona uses a 4 cylinder push rod motor (similar to the LA motor). Nothing resembles the DOHC Mopar motors. I run a 150 cube DOHC Modified production motor in my Superstocker SS/GS.
I believe the DOHC motors can be competitive at around 135 cubes. If you can get a car light enough.
Old 01-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Art, you may be right about their current combo. When the altered was first brought out,(maybe 2008 or 2009?), the engine had "MOPAR" on the big valve cover. I asked Frank Jr. what kind of engine it was as he strapping in, and he looked at me like I was stupid, and said "Mopar". I had clearly picked a bad time to be asking dumb questions.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #5
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Curcio View Post
Art, you may be right about their current combo. When the altered was first brought out,(maybe 2008 or 2009?), the engine had "MOPAR" on the big valve cover. I asked Frank Jr. what kind of engine it was as he strapping in, and he looked at me like I was stupid, and said "Mopar". I had clearly picked a bad time to be asking dumb questions.
It is (was?) a Mopar 4 cylinder. Just not like the ones the power Neons or PT Cruisers.
Same number of cylinders after that there is nothing in common.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:20 PM   #6
Tony Curcio

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Competetive 4-cylinders in Comp?

I understand now. In fact, the engine I was thinking of has 4 valves, which wouldn't be legal in the altered class they run.

So what year & model would this pushrod engine be from?
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Dave Ley

Liked 240 Times in 43 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Dave Ley

Tony, It's basically half a Hemi. It was an engine that was used in the Indy Light series.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:39 PM   #8
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts
Wink Re: Competetive 4-cylinders in Comp?

Aragona utilizes a Mopar A-4 cylinder block along with the new style Pro Stock Hemi head---if you are thinking about a 4 cylinder be fore-warned you will end up making/fabricating many of your parts and you have to either be a machinist have friend that will work for free or have access to a machine shop to do that---good luck "come in the waters fine"
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #9
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
--if you are thinking about a 4 cylinder be fore-warned you will end up making/fabricating many of your parts and you have to either be a machinist have friend that will work for free or have access to a machine shop to do that---good luck "come in the waters fine"
This is very true. I thought my engine would have a decent array of performance parts, because of the interest in the SRT4. Well I soon learned that if it doesn't have a turbo and a manual trans. You were on your own.
The first 2 years I ran my car I used an intake manifold from a dodge caravan. And cams that would check legal in a stocker. Camshafts were almost not available for a N/A engine (nobody had cores) My exhaust cam is a stock cam that has been welded to increase lift,
Things as simple as a 2 step were a challange. I had a trans brake made one of 2 in the world. My final drive (rear end gearing to you RWD guys) ratio is 3.94, and thats with custom made gears.
But little by little I'm getting it sorted out. I have had some help from the soft index. But with the amount of one-of's I need I deserve it.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:58 PM   #10
david ring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can run a four valve, four cylinder in H/EA-we have one in my car-Al Ackerman built it using a block and head out of the Colorado pick-up-it is a 2.9 liter motor (177 cubic inches) in stock form-we race it at 170 cubic inches. For H/EA, the motor must use carbs and the weight break is 8.25 lb.cubic inch. Fuel injection can be used in L/A or L/AA and the weight break is 10 lb/cubic inch (2 valve) or 10.5 lb/cubic inch (4 valve)..

Professor Dave
david ring is offline   Reply With Quote