HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-14-2017, 03:00 AM   #1
jaf2021

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Hollow stem valves

Any performance gains by using hollow stem valves?? Pros and cons??
jaf2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
rx dealer

Liked 53 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Hollow stem valves

Jaf, I bought a set manley solid valves for my LS3. The hollow stem were 6-8 weeks out and $250 more for a savings of only 9 grams a valve. that might seem little but x 16 valves and that adds up. So the new valves, heads,cam, lifters,rockers along with the factory hollow stem valves all went on a spintron to see where i stand and valve control was good to 9400 RPM. on both solid and hollow stem. point is I don't think it matters. I was worried having heavy valves but the spintron proved me wrong. I did find out that my valve springs were too heavy on the seat. I hope this helps...Luke SS 311

Last edited by rx dealer; 07-14-2017 at 11:26 AM.
rx dealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,628 Times in 502 Posts

I have not had good luck with Manley valves of late. I have lost 2 engines recently due to exhaust valves dropping the head off. What are you using for exhaust valves? 350 super stock engine. Anyone else having this issue?
Old 07-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #4
rx dealer

Mike, this engine is a 396 LS3 COPO Super Stock engine. I use the extreme duty XH-432 exhaust valves from manley. A friend lost 2 engines ( 396 big block stocker ) using another top brand valve. is it the luck of the draw? who knows. fingers crossed...Luke SS 311
Old 07-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
Rob Wright

Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx dealer View Post
Jaf, I bought a set manley solid valves for my LS3. The hollow stem were 6-8 weeks out and $250 more for a savings of only 9 grams a valve. that might seem little but x 16 valves and that adds up. So the new valves, heads,cam, lifters,rockers along with the factory hollow stem valves all went on a spintron to see where i stand and valve control was good to 9400 RPM. on both solid and hollow stem. point is I don't think it matters. I was worried having heavy valves but the spintron proved me wrong. I did find out that my valve springs were too heavy on the seat. I hope this helps...Luke SS 311
It matters a lot if you have a cam with "iffy" lift curves. You can easily lose 1,000 RPM of peak limiting speed by changing to solid stem from hollow in some combinations.

For heads popping off valves, I'll bet a hundred they had severe bounce at closing. That's generally what will make things break. Good thing some people test this stuff.
Rob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
junior barns

Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Wright View Post
It matters a lot if you have a cam with "iffy" lift curves. You can easily lose 1,000 RPM of peak limiting speed by changing to solid stem from hollow in some combinations.

For heads popping off valves, I'll bet a hundred they had severe bounce at closing. That's generally what will make things break. Good thing some people test this stuff.

you mean too much seat pressure or not enough???
junior barns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
rx dealer

Quote:

I wonder who recommended the spintron test...well worth it.. no guessing or mismatch parts...Thanks Rob!! Luke SS 311
Old 07-14-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx dealer View Post
What did you see on the Spintron that indicated too much seat pressure?
Old 07-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #9
Rob Wright

Liked 21 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
What did you see on the Spintron that indicated too much seat pressure?
It generally just didn't look as smooth with more deflection near the nose and a little bit of drumming at the closing point. 150 lb less spring Force cleaned it all up and made it look beautiful.

High spring force is definitely not your friend all of the time.
Rob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 02:04 PM   #10
Jim Hanig

Liked 97 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
It generally just didn't look as smooth with more deflection near the nose and a little bit of drumming at the closing point. 150 lb less spring Force cleaned it all up and made it look beautiful.

High spring force is definitely not your friend all of the time.
How much did you have on the seat?
Jim Hanig is offline   Reply With Quote