HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 10-09-2017, 02:15 PM   #1
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 971 Times in 296 Posts
Default IHRA for 2018

I know this portion doesn't get as much attention as the Stock / SS form but, I spoke with a few people at Maple Grove Yesterday who had no clue this was happening in IHRA and were loyal supporters of the IHRA . Today they made it official as in 2018 they will get rid of all Sportsman Type classes (Super Rod, Quick Rod, Hot Rod, Etc) and go to a bracket class events only. So it leaves one big fish in the pond now and a few small ones with local associations like the Mid Atlantic .90 Series, WNYSuper Rod Series, TNT Series, Etc.

http://www.ihra.com/ihra-news/all-ne...racing-program
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 02:33 PM   #2
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts
Default Re: IHRA for 2018

I have to say I am very happy you and others have series for us to run. Anyone that didn't see this coming has to be blind! Many tried to keep supporting IHRA but It just became an unfamiliar venue with wild changes to point structures and pro classes. The contingency side disappeared. Pro show too. We all know back in the day it was something to see, top fuel, Funny car, MM pro stock, Pro mod, top stock, even nitro Harley. jet cars, trucks , wheelstanders. etc. I hate to see NHRA the only game in town, they are making changes also, most we prob. wont like but hey, time marches on.... Quote Rush: changes are not permanent, but change is.
Keith 944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:20 AM   #3
cdh124

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cdh124

I just renewed my s/r, q/r license last week. I think I should get a refund, but I am sure their response will be that I can have credit or a bracket license. If that is their answer that will confirm that they JUST DON'T GET IT.
Doug Humes
cdh124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdh124 View Post
I just renewed my s/r, q/r license last week. I think I should get a refund, but I am sure their response will be that I can have credit or a bracket license. If that is their answer that will confirm that they JUST DON'T GET IT.
Doug Humes
I did the same thing the day before the race at Dragway 42 so I could participate there.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:03 AM   #5
Dewdlebug

Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts

If you do not intend on bracket racing the "new" SSNC then I would send them an email and request a refund. It's a breach of contract on their behalf. You paid for a Lic and membership to participate in a class that they are arbitrarily eliminating.

It's sad because I have always enjoyed racing their events. The elimination of the traditional divisional races was a huge mistake. Although I initially was a fan of the SSNC concept, I quickly realized that the schedule was weighted in favor of east coast and north-east region tracks. I now believe that a more realistic approach would have been to have each division send their class div champs to compete against other div champs for the nat champ spot (sorry, R/U's & 3rd place finishers would not be able participate). Very similar to the All-stars format.

Hoping that some of the .90 & Stk/SS organizations will pick up the slack.

Also, sending a note to Summit expressing your concerns may not change things, but it won't hurt either.
Dewdlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #6
cdh124

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I sent an email this morning to IHRA requesting a refund, I will post any reply that I get. Sad to see this happen, I just bought a Toter Home two weeks ago so that I could head south this winter and run the winter IHRA and NHRA races and the entire Div 3 races this coming year. Now thinking of quitting. Any one need a nice Top Kick/Renegade toter and big block Ford parts and a 1988 Thunderbird.

Doug Humes 3880
Old 10-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #7
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 971 Times in 296 Posts

Doug,

One of the things here in the Northeast that really helps with .90 racing is local little associations. I'm not really sure if you can spark any interest in the Michigan area to get one going to make it worth while but, I know people like Rock Haas would love to have something in that area (He always jokes that he wishes we were closer). We travel to 3 different tracks within about a 100 miles of each other, run 2 races a weekend, BBQ on Saturday and it's a cheap entry fee for decent cash. It would be a nice replacement for the missing IHRA races.

Rob K.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #8
DICK FOX 580

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried for 3 years 1997-1999 by starting and running the Super Class Outlaws along with a group of very nice people, whom A I am grateful to this day. The main problem was that I could not get it to grow because people were afraid of NHRA, and there supposedly tech issues if you raced with SCO. I even contacted then Division Director Jay Hullinger, who went as far as to furnish me with ladder sheets, etc., and endorsed our series as long as we didn't conflict with there schedule. We had a points fund, year end banquet, which paid 4 places in both S/C & S/G. We had cook outs at several events, most of which were 2 days at the same track, and a great time was had by all as far as I know. We started with a yearly membership fee, which we dropped the second year, sent out a monthly news letter to participants. I guess the summary is after 3 years of trying to give racers an alternative place to race, investing in excess of $6000.00 of my own money, I was left with no choice but to pull the plug. I wish to this day that I would have succeeded, but I did not. I wish each and every one of you the very best as you continue to pursue your racing dreams. Thanks to everyone that ran with us, it was a real pleasure for me.
DICK FOX 580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:56 PM   #9
DICK FOX 580

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tried for 3 years 1997-1999 by starting and running the Super Class Outlaws along with a group of very nice people, whom I am grateful to this day. The main problem was that I could not get it to grow because people were afraid of NHRA, and there supposedly tech issues if you raced with SCO. I even contacted then Division Director Jay Hullinger, who went as far as to furnish me with ladder sheets, etc., and endorsed our series as long as we didn't conflict with there schedule. We had a points fund, year end banquet, which paid 4 places in both S/C & S/G. We had cook outs at several events, most of which were 2 days at the same track, and a great time was had by all as far as I know. We started with a yearly membership fee, which we dropped the second year, sent out a monthly news letter to participants. I guess the summary is after 3 years of trying to give racers an alternative place to race, investing in excess of $6000.00 of my own money, I was left with no choice but to pull the plug. I wish to this day that I would have succeeded, but I did not. I wish each and every one of you the very best as you continue to pursue your racing dreams. Thanks to everyone that ran with us, it was a real pleasure for me.
DICK FOX 580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:32 AM   #10
cdh124

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dick, I remember that series and I ran as much as I could and what work would allow. I enjoyed it very much. Now maybe the time is right to try it again. I would join again and help any way I can if you would want to try it again. You know how to do it that is for sure.

Doug Humes 3880