HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 03-19-2012, 01:05 AM   #1
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Compression ratio VS consistency?

The new engine I'm putting together has 2 options for compression, 9-1 or 11-1 so I'm just wondering if it makes any difference in consistency having a high compression engine over a low compression combo. I'm leaning towards the low comp just because of the price of fuel. Any thoughts or 1st hand knowledge?
Old 03-24-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Ron Gusack

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Compression ratio VS consistency?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip marvetz View Post
The new engine I'm putting together has 2 options for compression, 9-1 or 11-1 so I'm just wondering if it makes any difference in consistency having a high compression engine over a low compression combo. I'm leaning towards the low comp just because of the price of fuel. Any thoughts or 1st hand knowledge?
You should post this in stock - super stock tech section.
Ron Gusack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip marvetz View Post

Go for the compression. It will be more consistent when the air goes away.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 AM   #4
Phillip marvetz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

That's what I was thinking but hoping some one would say that it wouldn't matter, The car was dam near getting on the bumper with the 10.1 engine and raising the compression might be a problem,lol.
I have two other small block brackets cars, One with a 12.5-1 engine and the other with a 8.5 stocker engine and they both seem to trend with the weather the same. They both run 12.0s, The high compression car is heavier though.
The weather doesn't move around out here on the west coast like it does back east so maybe that's why the two different combos seem to work the same.

Still undecided
Old 04-10-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
rustbucket79

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Properly tuned, I'm not sure the compression ratio makes any difference in consistancy. For most of us, it comes down to running as quick as possible inversely compared to the cost per run basis of the fuel provided. Exactly how much fuel do you plan to burn per season, do you want to run quicker, and what's the cost difference between pump gas and race gas. You might find a few hundred bucks extra on fuel results in several tenths quicker ET.

If you want to look at consistancy, look at the fuel. You never know what's going into your gas can at the local station, but you can count on the same fuel from drum to drum from quality race gas vendors.
rustbucket79 is offline   Reply With Quote