Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #1
cal

Liked 30 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via AIM to cal
Default Silly Season Has Begun

Hello All.
It is going to be a long WINTER.

The question is when did you start racing, and why do you race?
And why do you race the class you race?

I started going to the races in like 1972 or 1973, with a friends family that raced.
Worked at the race track once in a while, till I was out of school and built my 1st Street, Bracket type car around 1978. A 1967 SS 396 Chevelle. It was fast to me but not as fast as I wanted it to be LOL. Shortly after getting married in 1980 I got a 68 Camaro, It was being built as a A/MP car that was never finished. I turned it into a bracket car and had a ball with it for several years. 1st running Pro ET, then Super Pro.
Sold it to buy my house, and went racing with Bear Pritchett in the Mess of Blues Altered. What a time we had back then.
So I guess the reason I race is, it just what I do. I was raised in the time of the car culture. We just loved cars.
I race a little brackets and SST/HR, SG/SR, Why just for the fun of it. No it is the competition, the strategy of leaving, the time in the stop, lift or take the stripe.
The thrill of victory, the agony of defeat. The should have, wish I would have, crystal clear race as you go over it after the run. The friends you eat & drink with week in and week out. O yea and for the money of course!!! That is the money I hate LOL.
I could go on and on, but I'll stop now while I'm ahead.

Your turn
Cal SST 1177
cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:25 PM   #2
Mike Gray

Liked 498 Times in 134 Posts
Default Re: Silly Season Has Begun

I had a 390gt '67 Mustang fastback and all I heard was the FE was a turd. I did the common aluminum intake, headers and gear change to it and went cruising Whittier Blvd.
One night a guy in a SS396 Chevelle and a '69 Z28 wanted to race. I beat them both
(no offence Cal)
I started taking my Mustang to Irwindale after that in '74 and had the bug ever since.
I enjoy building the car and engine the most. (when I can afford it)
Mike Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:09 PM   #3
RobbieRacer

Liked 116 Times in 40 Posts

The sound of open exhaust, the smell of burning rubber,and the smell of racing fuel, and it's just plain FUN!
I started racing in 1976 when I was in High School. The cops had a program to get us off the streets. The Police Athletic League.You showed your card at Albuquerque Dragway and the let you race for $5.
I never had the money for a fast car but I was hooked on Bracket racing from then on.I raced my moms Nova (307 turd LOL) and then my VW Bug (even slower). But I had a blast and have raced on and off ever since.
Fastest car I ever owned, 1967 Mustang. 11.3, now building a 1979 Mustang U/SA, (slower again...HUMM) But it will be a blast!!!
I Really look forward to Class Racing.
Old 12-06-2016, 03:21 PM   #4
boostedf22c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I started racing in 1998 with my Honda Accord. It was the first car I ever took down the strip. When it was bone stock it ran 16.1 when I first took it there and ran 12.99 within a year or so after I got hooked......fast forward to 2016......my Honda Accord went 6.74@203

I chose to race Honda's because they are fast and get good fuel mileage.
boostedf22c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

For me, I got hooked in 1976 at the Sportsnationals in Bowling Green, KY.
I was within a day or so of turning 15 and the smell of burning rubber and racing fuel got me.

The sights of the fancy paint jobs and all that polished aluminum blew me away and the sounds from the open headers was still ringing in my ears that night when I laid down

My whole family went to the Beech Bend dragstrip that day, but I was the only one that got "the bug"

I dabbled in bracket racing until the age of 51 but I had always wanted to run Stock and Super Stock.
It took me 36 years before I could enter my first Stock Eliminator race

Last edited by ALMACK; 12-06-2016 at 03:57 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I started racing my 1968 Camaro in 1977. Raced the Gatornationals in 1978. Started in C/SM and a couple of years later went to SS/J with a 327/275 combo. In the mid 80's I went to a 350/295 combo and changed to auto. I am still racing the same car today with the 350/295 combo in SS/HA. That's 39 years racing the same car. Its a great car. Easy to drive and work on. The combo is not real favorable at this time but over the past couple of years they have given us back a few HP's. My stuff is still old school with a PG and a Dana 60 rear. I am a bottom half qualifier but I enjoy myself. I race SS because I enjoy the challenge of running fast given a set of rules. I would probably quit if I could only bracket race.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:29 PM   #7
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Dad had a new 67 Fairlane 390 4 speed. We would go to church then stop at KFC and go to US 30 dragstrip in Indiana. I was 6 years old and thats when the Coca Cola cavalcade of funny cars would run. It was so cool. He traded it for a 69 442 with 400 4 speed and raced it until 71. I got my DL in 1977 and went right to the dragstrip with my 55 Chevy 210 hardtop 327 4 speed and with clutch slipping through all gears it went 14.20. Raced on 5 amber tree for a couple years. Always wanted to run Super Stock and finally did in 1990. Limited experience with motors and could only run 6 under with help. This story feels like yesterday, but sadly its not.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:56 PM   #8
Hacksaw

Liked 276 Times in 151 Posts

I started in the late 60's. Get dropped off at Niagara Dragstrip Sunday morning and spend the entire day. Loved it and couldn't get enough. In 74 I built my first "race car", a 65 chev wagon with 327 and PG. Next year moved up to a 69 340 dart swinger. In 76 a 70 plymouth duster, In 79 a 23 T Altered, In 89 a 225" Bos red, in 92 a 232" Spitzer red and in 93 another Spitzer, in 99 a tube chassis carbon body Firebird, in 04 a 79 Corvette stocker and in 05 till now a 02 Sonoma SS. Been working on a 69 Corvette SS modified as the next one. So I started legally racing in 74 and never sat out a season. Why? I think the hook is in so deep it will never come out. Why SS? Because normal people can easily relate to a door car and they marvel at their performance and the show they put on. For me it's the satisfaction of the build and the competition. A win in the final puts a huge smile on my face.
Hacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:57 PM   #9
Rod Greene

Liked 204 Times in 72 Posts

1969 my buddy got his dads 64 El Camino and we went to Lions on a Wednesday night. We took turns running it down the track. The next week I went back with my 1960 289 3sp on the floor Ranchero ( the only non mopar I have ever owned). I was at the track at least 3 times a month. Late 1970 I bought a repossessed 1970 340 4 sp Duster and was totally hooked. Raced brackets and then built my first Stock Eliminator engine (did all the machine work my self at Cerritos College). Raced at the Last Drag Race at LIONS in stock eliminator got beat bad by Dave Benisek's Buick. I have raced small block stick shift Mopars ever since. I hope to have my Challenger done soon. The best part of racing is all the people you meet that become friends.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:29 PM   #10
Everett Vassar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Sometime in the mid 80,s I took my 71 Charger 360 with a performer intake,650 spread bore holley, headers,and 3:91 gears to texas raceway just to see what it would run. ..and that was it...I bought my first bracket car in 91, A 70 Duster 440. I turned that car over to my son Dustin when he was 15 because he won more money in it than I did. A couple yrs later I bought myself another bracket car a 70 Barracuda 440 and 2 yrs later turned that car over to my youngest son Colton because. ..yep..you guessed it. Through the years we have bought and sold several bracket cars,won a few races and broke a lot of parts. Then around July I hit my head on something, called Dustin and said "I'm going to buy a stocker and your going to drive it" Well after 1 divisional and one national,we pretty much fell on our *** right out of the gate...but we are still super excited about stock and the new people we have met so far and we plan to be ready for Houston in March.
Everett Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote