HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 09-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #41
Terry Cain

Liked 222 Times in 102 Posts
Default Re: 58 Corvette RACEtoration is back online!

Wade,
Nice work. Real nice. You might want to check with a tech guy in your area. I also race a Corvette and was told the bracing for the seat either has to be 2" x 2" Box tubing or 1 5/8" round tubing. Thickness was never discussed. I know PRO stockers that don't have anything close to that.

Last edited by Terry Cain; 10-02-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Opps, Spelling is not my best subject
Terry Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #42
Wade Mahaffey

Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Cain View Post
Wage,
Nice work. Real nice. You might want to check with a tech guy in your area. I also race a Corvette and was told the bracing for the seat either has to be 2" x 2" Box tubing or 1 5/8" round tubing. Thickness was never discussed. I know PRO stockers that don't have anything close to that.
Thanks Terry, I know what you mean about checking and double checking. I think our cars are different in that your frame runs along the rocker, and mine is actually under my seat. I have a 4" X 3" box tubing main frame "under" my seat, and a 4" "I" beam running diagonal "under" the seat as well. I guarantee you there is not a car out there with more steel under their *** than that! LOL You could wrap a chain around my front seat/crotch belt cross member and pick that whole car up with a crane. Each seat has (6) bolts in it, (4) through the floor. Since I started this project, I have corresponded with several NHRA officials with reference to one of my enhancement ideas or another....only to be shot down LOL It almost seems to be easier to "just say no" then the issue goes away and they don't have to explain why they granted it to anyone down the road. That makes me kinda wonder, If they say no to my tiny tiny things....how in the world did a stocker get to running eight seconds! I know, I know $$$$! A very well known official (won't post his name, but he is legendary) told me if you run traditional Super/Stock the chance of any change is "O"...you are many times more likely to get change/upgrade/enhancement in the newer car (ie front wheel drive conversion) GT classes. It should be easy to get a "Best Engineered " car award with a comp car in Super/Stock trim I would think. I try to do things the right way by asking for permission...after all that's what they'll tell you, that they want you to do....the sad part is, had I not said anything...they probably would have never found this enhancement, and it had absolutely no impact on performance advantage what so ever...it was that small of a modification...but you live and learn....I LEARNED! It's a whole lot easier to "JUST SAY NO" !

Wade Mahaffey
Wade Mahaffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:06 PM   #43
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

Wade like usual top notch high quality work. Great idea for the belt hold down. You'rre a real artist with the electric rod. Claude Ruel
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #44
Wade Mahaffey

After some re-evaluation, I have decided to re-locate my transmission cooler. It was very nice and tucked away in between the right frame rail and the "X" cross member.

The problem with that location was that it would/could hamper a transmission or converter change operation. The new location also allows hot air pulled through the cooler to vent into and through the rear wheel well area. There are a few other considerations that offer an advantage to the new location.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #45
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is this gonna be a 283/dual-4 car? Awesome stuff, btw...
Old 10-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #46
Wade Mahaffey

Brent, I was planning on a 283 single four and a glide to get me going. You can do all kinds of stuff over in GT if you want. I don't want to spend the money on a fast program...unless I'm forced to! LOL They don't give you anything for being fast anymore, except you get to chase. When you write on the window, it makes us all get to the finish line at the same time...or at least we're supposed too! My driving preparation and performance at both ends is far more important than how fast I was going when I got there! LOL
Old 10-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #47
brent flynn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Mahaffey View Post
Brent, I was planning on a 283 single four and a glide to get me going. You can do all kinds of stuff over in GT if you want. I don't want to spend the money on a fast program...unless I'm forced to! LOL They don't give you anything for being fast anymore, except you get to chase. When you write on the window, it makes us all get to the finish line at the same time...or at least we're supposed too! My driving preparation and performance at both ends is far more important than how fast I was going when I got there! LOL
It'll be cool, either way...hehe Lookin forward to seeing the finished product... Yea, speed aint everything...ive had just as much fun, running my 14 second wagon, as i have, my 10 second Bird... A win is a win, no matter how fast you were goin, when you got there...hehe
Old 10-09-2013, 11:40 PM   #48
Wade Mahaffey

This is my cooling package. It uses a Flex-a-lite 3300 CFM electric fan. The hand formed aluminum transition was fabricated to maintain the factory correct radiator laid back angle while the fan angle was straight up and down, as stock. It fits in the stock core support very nicely, and closely resembles the stock unit.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #49
XSTOCKER

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts

Wade,
You are a master fabricator! Thanks for sharing the build.
Mike
XSTOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #50
JP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Very cool project, I look forward to next update :-)
JP is offline   Reply With Quote