Gary look what you started!!! LOL
Old 12-26-2017, 11:19 AM   #32
Gary Federico

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: .370 back to .400 Pro Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SST159 View Post
Gary look what you started!!! LOL
I just voiced an opinion that was put out there. Tom IS one of the good guys who absolutely paid and pays his dues every yr. in .90. as well as Kathy also makes a killer margerita.

I have no problem working on my car to get it right for whatever class i run it in. I didnt propose this but I personally could take advantage if implimented.
Old 12-26-2017, 01:11 PM   #33
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

Look guys , I don't mean any disrespect , but you have to look at it from the perspective of the racers who have dedicated their program to competing in these classes......Those of you who know me, know I will help anyone with making their car work better on the tree , often in the process creating my own assassins !
Racing has evolved ,for better or worse. ...We can argue about the semantics of the wording in the rule book all we want .We all know what the lights really are.
Divisional and National event level racing has ALWAYS challenged racers with the challenge to improve their cars and their driving abilities .....some are successful, some keep trying, some give up ........The point is this level of racing is not for everybody, be it their skill set or financial ability ,or family obligations. which is why local Super Class and Stock/Super Stock organizations are doing well . ....They are free to set the rules a little looser such as the tree or weight brakes or heads up runs.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #34
SST159

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Federico View Post
I just voiced an opinion that was put out there. Tom IS one of the good guys who absolutely paid and pays his dues every yr. in .90. as well as Kathy also makes a killer margerita.

I have no problem working on my car to get it right for whatever class i run it in. I didnt propose this but I personally could take advantage if implimented.
Gary, I was just Bustin your B--lz!! I agree Tom and Kathy are a first class example of what makes our sport so enjoyable. Just flat out good people! And yes Tom is a master craftsmen. In fact he as done some really nice work on my car not to mention provided me with some valuable advise which I am grateful for. There is no doubt this is why he is in the points position he is in today. Most of us know this Sh-t don't come easy so well earned Tom! We all have our opinions and are entitled to voice them on this forum. We don't have to agree with each other.
Tom, I recommend three Margaritas then jump back on the forum. Just kidding my friend!
Old 12-26-2017, 09:00 PM   #35
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Red face Re: .370 back to .400 Pro Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by SST159 View Post
Gary, I was just Bustin your B--lz!! I agree Tom and Kathy are a first class example of what makes our sport so enjoyable. Just flat out good people! And yes Tom is a master craftsmen. In fact he as done some really nice work on my car not to mention provided me with some valuable advise which I am grateful for. There is no doubt this is why he is in the points position he is in today. Most of us know this Sh-t don't come easy so well earned Tom! We all have our opinions and are entitled to voice them on this forum. We don't have to agree with each other.
Tom, I recommend three Margaritas then jump back on the forum. Just kidding my friend!
Let’s back up a little, no offense at all. This is just conversation. I will be hitting some of the .90 series this year, in S/C.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:02 PM   #36
NHRA1926

Liked 161 Times in 51 Posts

Hey Maverick, I run super Street, and I don't have a delay box, or a throttle stop, or electric operated shifter on my car because I refuse to be a monkey and let the electronics do the racing for me. I like the human element to be involved in my racing. I use a throttle limiter on the back of the carb linkage to try and run the number, so I'm under power all the way down the track. The only electronic device I have is a trans brake to be able to react to the tree. Call it old school, but at least I'M controlling my car, not the electronics. No offense meant towards the other racers, just my way of still reacting to the tree, manually shifting the car, and playing the finish line game. I pride myself on still running a fully suspended "Street Car" inspected, registered and insured by the way, in Super Street. Those of us using this type of set up, could really use the real.500 tree as we have a hard time hitting the. 470 tree. Again, those of you using a box can just push some numbers to slow down your reaction. We are limited on ways to speed the cars reaction to the .470 tree. If the rule book states .500 tree, then it should be a .500 tree, period! Again just my thoughts, take for what it's worth. Still love racing at the divisional, and limited national events, and will continue to do so as long as it's still fun.
NHRA1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:10 PM   #37
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Thumbs up Re: .370 back to .400 Pro Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA1926 View Post
Hey Maverick, I run super Street, and I don't have a delay box, or a throttle stop, or electric operated shifter on my car because I refuse to be a monkey and let the electronics do the racing for me. I like the human element to be involved in my racing. I use a throttle limiter on the back of the carb linkage to try and run the number, so I'm under power all the way down the track. The only electronic device I have is a trans brake to be able to react to the tree. Call it old school, but at least I'M controlling my car, not the electronics. No offense meant towards the other racers, just my way of still reacting to the tree, manually shifting the car, and playing the finish line game. I pride myself on still running a fully suspended "Street Car" inspected, registered and insured by the way, in Super Street. Those of us using this type of set up, could really use the real.500 tree as we have a hard time hitting the. 470 tree. Again, those of you using a box can just push some numbers to slow down your reaction. We are limited on ways to speed the cars reaction to the .470 tree. If the rule book states .500 tree, then it should be a .500 tree, period! Again just my thoughts, take for what it's worth. Still love racing at the divisional, and limited national events, and will continue to do so as long as it's still fun.
You nailed it.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #38
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

Just so you know, my car does not have a delay box, or a throttle stop/ controller. I do have a auto shifter. My car does have three pedals, and it is not a high mph car. I struggle with the tree at times, but I can usually point to the track I am at. Some tracks I have a had time getting a .02, and other tracks I have a hard time not going red. Year after year it is consistent, that I have the same rt at the same tracks. They change the rules or timing system, and it is not common knowledge. Probably because it would cause confusion, in trying to explain why. I had more questions this year with division director and division tech guy, and also with the national tech guy, asking questions and looking for answers. The things I did not know about were, Stage Loc, first round bye selection, and burn downs at the starting line. There were other questions, about grading points. I just have questions as why, . When they had incandescent lights, it was a little harder to get a light. I guess when they went to led lights, everyone thought you seen them faster. Just look at the cars, at the top of the points, they are awesome. I try to admire them, and understand what they are doing. Good luck to you
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:51 PM   #39
Regan Wilson

Liked 125 Times in 65 Posts

Gary posted this in multiple forums. I responded on YB with my scenario. Back when they changed the lights at the National events we still had a true .500 at the Divisional level. Some of us go race a National and cant hit the tree. Then they changed it across the board without telling us. I spoke multiple times with an SRAC member but never got a clear answer. I got tired of bumping in to cut a light in 2011 and took a break. I spent 6 grand building a new front suspension and now I can leave soft with numbers in the box.

Like someone said NHRA should follow their own rules.

Will this change bring back old racers ? Who knows ?

Would it open it up for new racers ? Maybe.

Here's a little food for thought. This is happening at the same time as the dissolve of IHRA .90 classes.They can come race NHRA without rebuilding their whole car to do so.
Regan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 12:53 PM   #40
Regan Wilson

Liked 125 Times in 65 Posts

Also I think they should put it out there for a vote amongst the racers. I voted to lower the indexes when they did that. It was a landslide to keep it .90. Just my 2 cents guys
Regan Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote