HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech

Old 12-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Shop Lights

What type of lighting are you guys using for your shop? I need something that offers bright light...too many dark areas and shadows.

Thanks,

JimR
Old 12-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 506 Posts
Default Re: Shop Lights

Cheapest way to go will be florescent. The newer lamps that are smaller in diameter are much brighter and more efficient. Not sure how big your shop is. 8 ft 2 lamp shop type fixtures are available at the big box home improvement stores. That's what I have in my shop. I have more in the working bays than in the storage bays.
Old 12-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #3
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

In my "typical" attached 2 car garage I have 4, 4 foot Sylvania T-5 fluorescent. Purchased them from HD when I renovated the garage last year. Gives me plenty of light. I painted the walls and ceiling bright white from Sherwin-Williams to help with "bouncing" more light around the garage.
Old 12-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #4
FrankChastain

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Know you are in the south, but it gets cold. Get an 2 tube 8' HO (High Out put) fluorescent fixture. It will not flicker when it gets cold and plenty of light. They are more expensive, but well worth it....

Can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot...

Last edited by FrankChastain; 12-06-2014 at 07:28 AM.
FrankChastain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
Painter

Liked 157 Times in 44 Posts

A lot depends on how high your ceiling and how much electricity you have. With high ceilings you can go with the quartz lites you see in warehouses and gyms. Some of them also have a wider area they light. They also will work on multiple voltage. The higher the voltage you hook the lights up to the lower your monthly cost. For the fluorescent light definitely get the T5 or T8. I like the 8 foot fixtures that take 4-4 foot bulbs. I have been told they are going to quit making 8 foot lamps. Skylights also help and provide the best kind of light- free.
Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #6
Paul Hellenberg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have had some really good luck with CFL from 1000 Bulbs in TX https://www.1000bulbs.com/category/6...nt-grow-bulbs/ I have 23W,85W and 105W they are the best lights I have ever used.
Paul Hellenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Paul Precht

Liked 223 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painter View Post
A lot depends on how high your ceiling and how much electricity you have. With high ceilings you can go with the quartz lites you see in warehouses and gyms. Some of them also have a wider area they light. They also will work on multiple voltage. The higher the voltage you hook the lights up to the lower your monthly cost. For the fluorescent light definitely get the T5 or T8. I like the 8 foot fixtures that take 4-4 foot bulbs. I have been told they are going to quit making 8 foot lamps. Skylights also help and provide the best kind of light- free.
Some Metal Halide lights have 120V-480V multi tap transformers, I sell them in my store, they draw the same wattage regardless of which voltage you run them on.
Paul Precht is offline   Reply With Quote