HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > .90 Heads Up Class Associations > TNT Hot Rod Super Series
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-03-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Ted Barnes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Bill Elekes returns to TNTSS winner's circle!

Staff at Empire Dragway gave 110% and made the sun shine!

The 2012 season in the Joe's Transmission TNT Super Series wrapped up this past Sunday at Empire Dragway with Bill Elekes of West Seneca, NY taking the event win and pocketing $1000 plus contingency for his efforts. At the same time, Jon (JJ) Jablonski - also from West Seneca, NY - capped off a spectacular season by earning his first TNT Super Series championship.

The race to close out the sixth TNTSS season was presented by The Sister Act Band and was re-scheduled from September 8th due to rain. But this one almost didn't happen either as it was raining in the early morning and the track wasn't drying. "We finally got on the track about 1:00 and then at 2:00 we got rain in the shut down," said Ted Barnes, TNTSS Director. "So the race was shortened to 1/8th mile and the Empire Dragway team did a great job getting it done."

Bill started the day qualified dead last and then he proceeded to take the field to school on how to win a drag race. In round one, he put out former TNTSS series champion Ted Barnes with a starting line advantage, both cars running 7.02 at the stripe.

Round two saw Bill leave with a .512 light to Roy Lister's .505. Bill overcame the starting line by running a 7.011 to Roy's 7.044, advancing him into the semi-finals.

There he faced Gary Saska and according to Bill, this is where he got his lucky round. He was .511 to Gary's .522 but Bill couldn't catch him so he let him go at the stripe and Gary broke out by the smallest of margins, running a heart-breaking 6.999 to Bill's 7.051.

In the final, Bill was set to face reigning TNTSS champion David Surmatchewski. David, who was unbeaten in TNTSS competition at Empire up to this point, left the line with a .535. Unfortunately for Dave, Bill was on the tree today with a .510 and then proceeded to take the stripe and the win running 7.011 to Dave's losing 7.009.

“A huge thank you to my good friend Chris Tucker who trusts me to drive his race car,” said Bill in the winner’s circle. “Of course I couldn’t do any of this without my wife Pam & my daughters Stephanie and Rachel behind me. And Stephanie’s boyfriend Mike Prescott is a huge help as well.”

"I want to thank Tom's Performance in Orchard Park, NY for keeping this 510 cid a reliable piece.”

The 150 mph 1995 Beretta is sponsored by Autos Direct of Buffalo. “I can’t thank my team at the shop enough – JJ Jablonski and Tom Coonly.”

Bill was quick to mention how much he appreciates having this series to race in. "This deal is the best series around. The racing keeps you on top of your game and the people are a good group. Thanks to Joe Boniferro and Ted Barnes for six years of TNT and thanks to Roy Lister for sponsoring today's race."

Bill almost didn't show up for the race on Sunday. "You know on my way here it was pouring rain. I got two miles from the track and called Tommy (Coonly) and said I was turning around. Tommy told me not to, said it wasn't raining here. I couldn't believe it!"

The sixth annual TNTSS Awards Night will be held at Johnny Rocco's Italian Restaurant in Niagara Falls, Ontario on Saturday November 10th. Seating is limited and last year's event was jammed so get there early! For everything you need to know about the most popular sportsman drag racing series in the country, visit www.tntsuperseries.com .

Specialty Awards
•Hoosier Tire Canada $100 certificate - Number One Qualifier
◦Sam LoVetro (Webster, NY) with a 7.018
•J&S Collision $50 - Closest to the Index (1st Round Loser)
◦Ted Barnes (Caistorville, Ontario) with a 7.021
•Empire Dragway FREE PASS - Best Reaction Time (1st Round Loser)
◦Peter VanBaalen (Wellandport, Ontario) with a .505

2012 Joe's Transmission TNTSS Points Standings (TOP 10 of 64) - FINAL
Points # Races
1 Jon Jablonski 781 13
2 Tom Coonly 704 12
3 Peter VanBaalen / Chris VanBaalen 701 13
4 Harry Phelps 695 11
5 Roy Lister 673 12
6 David Surmatchewski 652 11
7 Ted Barnes 650 12
8 Paul Young 641 11
9 Gary Saska 630 12