HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 PM   #11
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: End of year HP

Ron, a lot of guys use a throttle stop, a restrictor plate, or just weight to slow down. I have all that in the trailer.

I'm not sure watching incrementals would really help them much. I was 180 heavy most of last year, running it out the back door.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 12-13-2017 at 10:42 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:38 PM   #12
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrypuppy4865 View Post
Ron,

Take a look at this for information on the AHFS. http://www.nhraracer.com/content/gen...633&zoneid=132

They don't take hp off of a combination unless it is currently being run, and it has to meet the requirements to be eligible for a reduction. All the request does is makes them look at the combination to see if it meets requirements to get hp off.
Cooter, no doubt you are spot on with the AFIS. My question is how can anyone get a stock reduction of 63 HP? 1966 Nova 327 with a 350 HP reduced to 287 HP. Something is wrong with reducing that much HP. -10 to 15 reduction OK.
Old 12-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #13
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duzac View Post
Cooter, no doubt you are spot on with the AFIS. My question is how can anyone get a stock reduction of 63 HP? 1966 Nova 327 with a 350 HP reduced to 287 HP. Something is wrong with reducing that much HP. -10 to 15 reduction OK.
Wow! I was not aware of that one, John. Had a friend, when we were street racing new Stock cars, with one of those that used to spank the 396" Chevelles. It was MUCH faster than the regular 275 hp engine. Now it's only 285? LMAO! Somebody pulled one on them. LOL
Old 12-15-2017, 04:31 AM   #14
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Wow! I was not aware of that one, John. Had a friend, when we were street racing new Stock cars, with one of those that used to spank the 396" Chevelles. It was MUCH faster than the regular 275 hp engine. Now it's only 285? LMAO! Somebody pulled one on them. LOL
Man you are spot on - my older brother had one it was the fastest production street car ever made - with a little tuning - It had a 4.11 and in high gear it felt like the front of the car got longer and was going to take the steering wheel right out of your hands through the dash. It beat almost every thing including corvettes, 409s and 426 street Dodges - although some of that was streets and driver. I had a plan for every man - those were the days ... Never saw a drag strip -- worst was it got stolen and replaced twice.

By gone memories of more joy than I get today.

In My Humble Opinion

Ron
Old 12-15-2017, 10:07 AM   #15
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 704 Times in 176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Ed -
There is a lot of difference between those engines on the street in production cars compared to current prepped Stock Eliminator configuration. The 327-275 has almost as much blueprinted compression (11.9 vs 12.2), the same heads, camshaft difference doesn't matter much under current rules, and a much larger carb (Qjet vs 585 Holley). Add to the fact that the original 327-350 intake is not much better than a good Qjet manifold and that the original dome configuration restricts flame travel in the combustion chamber and it is easy to see why there is not much difference in current rated hp.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #16
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Evidently GM gave some funny specs for the 275. I know of a couple other engines like that.
Old 12-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #17
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,543 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Duzac View Post
Who ever can get that much HP off a combo must be related to Jim Hale......
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 10:12 PM   #18
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts
Exclamation Re: End of year HP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Who ever can get that much HP off a combo must be related to Jim Hale......
Not naming anyone with this issue. The 1970 Camaro 350 was reduced 40 HP. People who run there cars should be flying Danny Byrd has the premiere 1966 Nova 327 350 HP and he can only go low 10:30’s. You’d think taking that much weight from a combo would make all the difference in the world.
Old 12-16-2017, 02:06 AM   #19
Race Clean

Liked 128 Times in 50 Posts

Funny how some defend big power reductions for one make and stand on the barricades shouting about other makes reductions yet they seem to run in the same ballpark against the index
The Chevy II must have the record for dropping classes A to E??

How far off we have come in the 35 years I raced the class,well,the last 15 anyway.
All engines should be the same,Stick,auto,model etc.
Models that need help should really be far and between.
Loosing interest in this by the day now.

Now GM people is even pissed about other GM combos,you see,we never gonna get anywhere on the internet.

Peace out
Race Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #20
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Clean View Post
Now GM people is even pissed about other GM combos,you see,we never gonna get anywhere on the internet.
We're pissed about the process, the people in charge of the process and the "buddy deals" that are handed out by the people in charge of the process.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote