Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #31
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts
Default Re: Kevin helms new crew chief at dsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I think when the pro stock folks start to get onboard and they relax some rules, (10 in. tire?) the race to the 6`s begins. It is just what the sport needs. Factory marketing involvement and performance to put the audience on their feet.
Mike A114
There are almost 30 cars entered now for Gainesville. Sounds like they are doing quite well. Why relax any rules?
Old 02-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #32
Jim Bailey

Liked 505 Times in 104 Posts
Cool Re: Kevin helms new crew chief at dsr

The single biggest mistake NHRA could make would be to change the tire rule. That's the single greatest (wallet) equalizer available. And I don't wanna hear any safety BS, deal with it and tune accordingly.
Jim Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:59 PM   #33
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 502 Times in 125 Posts

If KB Racing or Gray Motorsports gets involved NO ONE running the class now can compete with that kind of money.....and if you think these guys wouldn't dominate I got some ocean front property in my back yard I'll sell you......I hope it stays the way it is with the same rules.....congrats to Kevin great deal for him.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:16 PM   #34
Todd Gross

Liked 52 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
If KB Racing or Gray Motorsports gets involved NO ONE running the class now can compete with that kind of money.....and if you think these guys wouldn't dominate I got some ocean front property in my back yard I'll sell you......I hope it stays the way it is with the same rules.....congrats to Kevin great deal for him.
Actually Gray does have their name on an entry for the Gators driven by Randy Taylor. At least it sure looks like the same Gray.
Also , but not entered, is the Patterson/ Elite entry that Erica Enders was driving last year. Then throw in the Stanfield name and AJ and you have to think the Pro Stock and ex Pro Stock community is up for participation.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:28 PM   #35
Jesse Kershaw

Liked 120 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Carpenter View Post
I agree it would be tough if not impossible to overcome teams with a proven record of success and pro budget but I also think there are ways to help narrow the gap. For instance keeping the powertrains based on the latest production helps by creating a new base line for everyone whenever there's an improved street car engine. It also keeps costs down with production based parts (head castings for instance are 1/10th the price OEM vs current PS), and it helps keep the OEM's and dealers interested by staying relevant to what they sell.
There is a huge market for fast street cars so the parts developed here can trickle down to street cars with that engine architecture.
Old 02-08-2018, 09:31 PM   #36
blkjack

Liked 51 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones View Post
I think when the pro stock folks start to get onboard and they relax some rules, (10 in. tire?) the race to the 6`s begins. It is just what the sport needs. Factory marketing involvement and performance to put the audience on their feet.
Mike A114
Six second stock bodied cars on small tires is not what this sport needs. All it will take is one bad top end accident and you will see restrictions put on these cars. Doesn't anyone remember the carnage from Bo Butner's top end crash when he had the Pro Charger Super Modified (AA/SM)? They killed that combo pronto!
blkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 09:54 PM   #37
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,728 Times in 418 Posts

A claimer rule on blowers might help keep the cost down.......
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:16 PM   #38
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,664 Times in 851 Posts

Funny scenario, Danica drives for DSR (or Force) and Anderson tries his hand at with Summit backing...they line up in the final with amazing track conditions and potentially the first seven second run on the table. Anderson says “no way she is going to win and run the first seven”. Which she promptly does. Anderson goes into orbit, maybe he can still hitch a ride in a Tesla?

Remember, life really is stranger than fiction.

Last edited by jmcarter; 02-08-2018 at 10:21 PM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:56 PM   #39
Rat Raceway

Liked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Rat Raceway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMan View Post
Actually Gray does have their name on an entry for the Gators driven by Randy Taylor. At least it sure looks like the same Gray.
Also , but not entered, is the Patterson/ Elite entry that Erica Enders was driving last year. Then throw in the Stanfield name and AJ and you have to think the Pro Stock and ex Pro Stock community is up for participation.
The Patterson/Omaha Track car is for sale on race junk. They barley made the field at a few races and can’t compete is why they are dropping out is my guess...
Rat Raceway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:04 AM   #40
Mike Schwartz

Liked 189 Times in 64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin McKenna View Post
Interesting thought but I think I'd rather see Dale Jr or Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart if we're going that route. (Besides, the current DSR driver actually wins races).

As for the suggestion about changing tire rules. No way. The 9 inch tire is a big part of what makes these cars special.

My 2 cents
When I proposed Danica, I had the full 7?-race series in mind. She could do local appearances around the race weekend to promote her lifestyle programs.

NASCAR stars at Indy is doable. NASCAR is at Darlington on Sunday. Ford, Chevy and MOPAR are involved in one level or another, so the manufacturers ought to be interested in providing driver fees. Have them practice and get licensed in advance. Run the FS final on Sunday and bring back eight of the competing cars on Monday. Seed two drivers each by their NASCAR make: Chevy>Camaro, Ford>Mustang, Toyota>Challenger & two wild cards, or else just do a random draw for the cars.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote