Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #31
curtis reed

Liked 89 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: Locking 'Em Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Schilling View Post
Losing under those circumstances would just make losing that much worse.

That's the most true thing I've read in a long time. LOL
curtis reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:00 PM   #32
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

I don't quite understand the ill attitude towards the suggested "Package Racing."

Isn't this all we are doing when not running a competitor in the same class now? Our goal is to have a .000 RT and run on our number with a "0." This would give us a .000 Package obviously and our intent is to run as close to this number each and every round we stage.

Due to the format we currently run with staggered starts and such we as racers have developed many different strategies to achieve this goal. Some...one could say even most depend on the performance of the driver in the other lane. But others blindly foot it out the back door as it is and hope their light and ET combo is small enough to beat the other guy no matter what strategy the other driver may be using..

I agree I wouldn't like this to be the norm.. I enjoy the finish line driving and the different ways we all race to get their first without going too fast.. but I will say with our current rules how many times do we see a guy go .002 dead 5 only to have the other guy go .002 dead 3, and they lose. We then watch the next pair have two RTs in the .060 range and both run 2 hun off their dial.. We all chalk it up to bad luck that round.. be kinda hard to have an off run ever if you have to have a package in the top half every round to keep advancing.. you wouldn't get a lucky break just cause the guy in the other lane went RED.

I'm still on the team of leaving our rules alone for the 99% of racing out there, but to think it would be any less competitive or you would need any less skill to win a package race is a little far from reality.. It would take the 1 on 1 bragging rights of lining up and taking a single competitor out but it sure would be exciting to have a decent package and then wait until the round is over to know if it was good enough to get you through to the next round. Be interesting to see how good a package would have to be each round to win a Stock or SS race with say 100 cars.

Brad

Last edited by HawkBrosMav; 12-11-2019 at 12:02 PM. Reason: grammar
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #33
Dave Noll

Liked 219 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Stout View Post
This Best Package races are running here in Az

.500 Sportsman (full) tree
2 time runs, 3 competition rounds
Heads-up start with dial-in
Best Single Run package wins
For run to count – green light, and no break out
Tie-breakers: 1 – most counted passes, 2 – average package
Transbrake – permitted
Open to all vehicles that pass 1320′ NHRA tech
Delay Box & Throttle Stop – must be zero’d out or removed
Payouts:
They have been running a "package attack" gambler at the bracket finals, for years, up in this corner of the U.S.
Old 12-11-2019, 12:41 PM   #34
Rick Schilling

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

I also think "best package" would make things even more confusing for the casual spectator than they already are.

On the other hand, I suppose that doesn't include a lot of people anyway.

Last edited by Rick Schilling; 12-11-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Rick Schilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:52 PM   #35
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

We are already racing best package. Just staggered start instead of staggering finish. Best package will always win.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:10 PM   #36
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

Best package competes against all racers each time and not just the racer in the other lane. So basically we're are racing best package.
Jeff Stout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #37
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

What if you get a big random gust of wind during your run? It impacts both you and the guy in the other lane, but not the people that run in the other pairs.

Dialing is a skill, but there are so many more variables out of your control than there are on the starting line. That's why driving skill is so important. I wouldn't be interested in a race where it isn't a factor.
Liked
Old 12-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #38
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Pearson View Post
We are already racing best package. Just staggered start instead of staggering finish. Best package will always win.
the thread start was about excessive braking. heads up start takes finishline racing out of the picture. it also makes worst redlight the loser.. you could also make running under not a penalty. make it closest to dial and reaction time total.
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #39
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 654 Times in 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
What if you get a big random gust of wind during your run? It impacts both you and the guy in the other lane, but not the people that run in the other pairs.

Dialing is a skill, but there are so many more variables out of your control than there are on the starting line. That's why driving skill is so important. I wouldn't be interested in a race where it isn't a factor.
In today's bracket world when a gust of wind came, what would you do? It should be the same answer as best package racing. If you want to still dial soft and whack the brakes and see what your ET will be that's fine also. Just don't make smoke. I think best package racing and sliding car at finish line over time will make you a better predictor of your ET.
Jeff Stout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #40
HawkBrosMav

Liked 276 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:

Quote:

Lenny this happens now.. I don't see how this is any different. You dial on your pass the best you can.. you may have a strategy that you don't "dial hard" and hope the other guy runs his race in a manner that you can lift in relation to him and stay over.. or he may run under more than you depending on the circumstances.. but you're guessing your dial based on the conditions at the last possible moment you are allowed to change dials. Only difference would be you have to guess for your conditions better than half the field did on their conditions not just the guy in the other lane. We all race with sometime similar conditions the entire round to drastically different, but we still have to get our dial close for our single pass.

With the current state of Stock Eliminator you could have a pair dialed about 8.00 all the way to like 16.00 (rounding for ease of illustration).. that means the slower guy has 8 seconds of track time where said gust of wind could come up and affect him where the fast guy is sitting stationary. With your argument the slow guy isn't getting a fair shot..

again I wouldn't want this racing to become the norm by any means but to look down upon the idea because it's different and not what we do is ignoring how similar it already is to what were doing.. I mean you could even make it more similar to what we do and just run a heads up start with a staggered finish with all other rules remaining the same as we have them now. 2 stage one comes back then literally the only difference is the heads up start vs staggered start.. eliminates the finish line games while keeping the race most similar to what we have now. I'm open to a few races a year in one of these formats but not this changing the norm..

Brad
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote