HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
melvin wellman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default 50 years of pro stock

I think the first year for nhra pro stock was 1970. Just wondered if anyone thought that nhra should or could find a way to celebrate that. I know this has nothing to do with S&SS, so If this sounds dumb or is out of line just ignore it and let it fade away.
melvin wellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:59 PM   #2
Tom P

Liked 213 Times in 85 Posts
Default Re: 50 years of pro stock

At the SEMA show the theme of the NHRA Breakfast was 50 years of ProStock, they had Warren Johnson, Greg Anderson, Jeg Coughlin Jr, Erica Enders and Herb McCandless on stage. I think they have something going on at the Gatornationals about that. I suppose it should be at Pomona since that is where the first race 50 years ago was.

The bad part of course is that with so much attrition it would be easier to round up 50 funny car stars of the 60's than 50 Pro Stock stars of the 70's . RIP to Grumpy, Dyno Don, Ronnie Sox, Bob Glidden, Dick Landy, Reid Whisnant, etc, etc, etc...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3901.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	235.8 KB
ID:	52711  

Last edited by Tom P; 12-11-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:11 AM   #3
melvin wellman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I did not realize that, and I know what you are saying. Thanks, mel.
melvin wellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:12 PM   #4
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

While I wish Pro Stock was more like it was in the 70's its not and I wish there were more Mopar's to cheer on.

However I still enjoy it. I have found I look at it more like Funny Car and Top Fuel, generic cars with generic engines.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #5
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,225 Times in 594 Posts

I have loved Pro Stock since the start. The innovation and multiple combos made it fun back in the day. Today it is basically Pro Camaro. Not the same draw for me as it was.

Today there are about 40 Cars in the class. At one time there were about 35 cars just in Division 6, and I am sure the other divisions had a similar number.
Old 12-12-2019, 12:34 PM   #6
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,678 Times in 850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
While I wish Pro Stock was more like it was in the 70's its not and I wish there were more Mopar's to cheer on.

However I still enjoy it. I have found I look at it more like Funny Car and Top Fuel, generic cars with generic engines.
Sadly, there’s only a couple of the current drivers who can drive, build and maintain the motor and chassis in today’s Pro Stock (Jason being the most prominent). In the early days over 50% of them could do it. In the fuel ranks I wonder if there’s been a single one since Dick LaHaie. That’s a big part of the allure of the old Pro Stock, we could identify with so many of them.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:48 PM   #7
Pete Lanciers

Liked 562 Times in 145 Posts

So I'm gonna be a dissenter here, but before I state my position let me assure you I respect those of you that still hang and your opinions.

However for me Pro Stock died when they followed the NASCAR model departing from production based cars into today's jismless state. I very fondly recall the original evolution from SS & Modified Eliminator creating an environment that yielded the greatest innovators and innovations we have ever seen, without skewing the rules to render all but one engine combination noncompetitive. So while I can still enjoy some really good driving by today's competitors the state of today's Pro Stock Eliminator leaves me cold...
Pete Lanciers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Tom P

Liked 213 Times in 85 Posts

Pete, as a Ford guy i'll proudly blame GM for that. They got the stock wheelbase rule thrown out for the Beretta, got to stretch the front end and move the rear wheels forward. They also got to use non-production based heads. Spread ports, symmetrical ports, then the front mounted belt drive distributor, then non production bore spacing.... at one time they used actual AR Boss 429 blocks in a GM Pro Stock car. And the Dodges were using a whole GM engine at one point.

And the same is happening to Stock and Super Stock bit by bit.
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-12-2019, 10:44 PM   #9
Dave Gantz

Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom P View Post
Pete, as a Ford guy i'll proudly blame GM for that. They got the stock wheelbase rule thrown out for the Beretta, got to stretch the front end and move the rear wheels forward. They also got to use non-production based heads. Spread ports, symmetrical ports, then the front mounted belt drive distributor, then non production bore spacing.... at one time they used actual AR Boss 429 blocks in a GM Pro Stock car. And the Dodges were using a whole GM engine at one point.

And the same is happening to Stock and Super Stock bit by bit.
Of course there was Grumpy getting the tube chassis accepted. '72, I think?
Dave Gantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 05:25 AM   #10
bigshow2966

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts
Talking Re: 50 years of pro stock

You used to have 2 or 3 guys get together and buy a 1 or 2 year old car and a motor and run the local tracks. They would try to run with the big guys when they showed up and might steal a win now and then. It was great.

I say cut down the number of national events and bring back local match racing.
bigshow2966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked