HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-18-2021, 12:16 PM   #40
oldskool
VIP Member

Liked 750 Times in 361 Posts
Default Re: Project - NHRA Stock and S/S results 61-68

" 1968 – Battle of the sandbaggers! "

I have to laugh at this headline !

Not much has changed. For the quick cars, if they ran all-out, every pass, their combo would soon have such a huge hp factor that it would not be competitive, in any heads-up run.

Back then, the only difference was that they were running against their class record, rather than the class index.

So, as much as Stock/SS racers hate to hear it, for legal cars, most Stock/SS racing uses bracket racing rules. The same-class heads-up runs are the exception. Just out of curiosity, I'd like to know the average percentage of total elimination runs which are heads-up, for class racers that run a full schedule.

Obviously, anyone in a stick class won't often have a heads-up. But, there are some of the quicker auto trans classes that have several entries, at some big races. I've read posts by LOTS of racers saying that the ONLY reason they run class instead of bracket is for the rare heads-up runs. Without those runs, many say they'd either go bracket racing or quit racing.

Then I suppose there are a few who race Stock, with a slow car that will barely run it's index, just because they have a good chance to beat any of the quick high dollar cars, at most any race.

So, just from my observation, the Stock racers are a very diverse group, having members with differing opinions & goals. Many are content with old-school carb equipped cars. But some insist on goin quick, with the latest, greatest FS cars. Then there are some who are always lookin the softest combo they can find, which they can live with.

Last edited by oldskool; 09-18-2021 at 12:23 PM.
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote