Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-16-2021, 11:22 AM   #91
Kevin Panzino

Liked 550 Times in 106 Posts
Default Re: Dodge going Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
About as good as a natural gas or oil well with a frozen well head. Except a broom won't fix a well head.

This weather screws most everything up.
There are no oil and gas well heads “froze.”
Have no idea what your taking about.

But Texas’ much touted “25,000 mw of wind “capacity” ( capacity being the keyword, not output) is sitting at 4,500 mw right now and that’s double what it was yesterday.
Yesterday they were over 15,000 mw’s short on supply vs demand.
The power prices down there are still maxed out at $9,000 per mw.
For reference a typical large coal fired plant can produce each mw for around $25 to $30/mw.
Kevin Panzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 12:21 PM   #92
Randy Wells

Liked 986 Times in 301 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by r429469 View Post
The T-A pipeline heats the oil at the first pump station.
I have worked at Pump 1, they do heat some of the oil. The oil coming from North Star is heated because it comes from a man made island about 10 miles away and about 5 miles of the pipe is under the arctic ocean, but the oil comes out of the ground at around 130 F and is over a 100F when it enters the TAP's. Flow Rates keep it heated on its journey to Valdez.

The reason refineries in areas where they were not designed for the cold shut in, is the instrumentation impulse lines freeze, 3/8" 1/2" tubing that has no heat trace, with out these permissive's things shut down.

Randy
Randy Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-17-2021, 11:07 AM   #93
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Panzino View Post
There are no oil and gas well heads “froze.”
I am not in the business, but these is from an email I got yesterday from our gas utility in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

"Why has this weather caused so many problems?
Due to the unprecedented, historically low temperatures over an extended period, we are seeing much higher natural gas use coupled with supply issues. As of this morning, our suppliers of natural gas are experiencing freezing gas wells due to the duration of the extreme cold. This is impacting the amount of gas they are able to provide to us."

I would think the same would be true in Texas.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 12:42 PM   #94
Randy Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by 340Cuda View Post
I am not in the business, but these is from an email I got yesterday from our gas utility in Tulsa, Oklahoma.

"Why has this weather caused so many problems?
Due to the unprecedented, historically low temperatures over an extended period, we are seeing much higher natural gas use coupled with supply issues. As of this morning, our suppliers of natural gas are experiencing freezing gas wells due to the duration of the extreme cold. This is impacting the amount of gas they are able to provide to us."

I would think the same would be true in Texas.
They are freezing because they are not heat traced and insulated, gas does have condensates that will freeze, in the tubing impulse lines that runs to Pressure Transmitters and Flow Transmitters, if you use Tube Bundle that is insulated and heat traced this would not be happening, Prudhoe Bay Alaska processes more cubic feet of gas a day then any field in north America and the 50 Mega Watt Central Power Station runs on fuel gas, gas runs through a knock out drum that separates the condensates out. I have seen 35 to 45 below 95 below chill factor for weeks on end and everything keeps running. There is no way in hell a wind turbine could operate in these temperatures, and Solar! no sun for 3 months

Randy

Last edited by Randy Wells; 02-17-2021 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:51 PM   #95
jmantle

Liked 137 Times in 67 Posts

Looks like swapping the battery out rather than charging it is the way of the future. Might work in populated areas, can't see it working to well in remote areas.

"Electric Cars can be designed to allow a fast battery swap, exchanging your battery for a fully charged battery in less than half the time it takes to refill a gas tank. This offers Tesla Model S drivers an even faster option when recharging while driving long distances."

Still haven't figured out where all the electricity is going to come from.

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
Old 02-17-2021, 04:11 PM   #96
Randy Wells

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantle View Post
Looks like swapping the battery out rather than charging it is the way of the future. Might work in populated areas, can't see it working to well in remote areas.

"Electric Cars can be designed to allow a fast battery swap, exchanging your battery for a fully charged battery in less than half the time it takes to refill a gas tank. This offers Tesla Model S drivers an even faster option when recharging while driving long distances."

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
Jim,

You are right, no such thing as perpetual motion, at least not yet, it still takes HP or KW to move an object.

Randy Wells
Old 02-18-2021, 12:59 PM   #97
lstanford

Liked 131 Times in 29 Posts

I remember being in a meeting when Ford bought the Think electric car company. The person introducing the cars said that Ford had just finished a year long electric car owners survey. The conclusion: Everybody thought it was a good idea if their neighbor bought an electric car to clean up the environment. Started the meeting out on a light note. Tesla seems to have changed that mind set. As they say, come on in the water is fine. I'm still from the show me state.
lstanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 06:41 PM   #98
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 937 Times in 258 Posts
Talking Re: Dodge going Electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmantle View Post

Jim Mantle V/SA 6632
I just googled "Tesla battery replacement cost", and it came up with $16,000 parts and labor, with 13 hours required to perform the task. Even my old Ford truck with dual gas tanks took considerably less than 26 hours to fill both tanks.
Liked
Old 02-18-2021, 09:21 PM   #99
mnmaxwedge

Liked 104 Times in 34 Posts

I wonder how all the Tesla drivers are doing in Texas this week?
mnmaxwedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 09:32 AM   #100
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,422 Times in 1,951 Posts

Has anyone checked EBay or Amazon for cheep Chinese replacements batteries that have a half life measured nanoseconds?
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote