HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #1
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Leaf Spring Suspension Q

This isn't exactly Stock or SS related, but thought this might be a good place to inquire since S/St is all chassis/backhalf cars these days.

In talking to Viking about a shock package with split mono's and caltracs, the advisor mentioned something that might be useful in my case. He said that instead of running a 250# split mono as per my application, I could run a 175 or 200# split mono leaf with 85 or 100 pound coil-overs. It would provide a little more adjustment (I'm at 2240/1700 pounds) and zero extra fabrication. I already have 18" 250# landrum coils in the front pockets.

Is there any concrete data supporting the added cost of running a 4-spring system instead of a 2-spring system? I don't see where it would be illegal in any rules anywhere, but I've never really heard of such a setup.
DailyDriverSst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:04 AM   #2
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,397 Times in 1,944 Posts
Default Re: Leaf Spring Suspension Q

I believe the purpose of the rear spring is to hold the car up. Reason I say this. I broke a rear segment of a leaf spring and Travis Miller at fuel check was kind enough to ask the question of what is hanging down. The car just ran 10.0 something @ 129 something and I could not detect any difference in the run. All I knew is it had to be fixed before we ran class the next day at the Sports Nationals. We fixed it that night and it ran very well the next day.

I think the leaf spring will do the job without any help.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 04-14-2019, 07:47 PM   #3
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
I believe the purpose of the rear spring is to hold the car up. Reason I say this. I broke a rear segment of a leaf spring and Travis Miller at fuel check was kind enough to ask the question of what is hanging down. The car just ran 10.0 something @ 129 something and I could not detect any difference in the run. All I knew is it had to be fixed before we ran class the next day at the Sports Nationals. We fixed it that night and it ran very well the next day.

I think the leaf spring will do the job without any help.
Leaf spring rate is no different than coil spring rate, yes it holds the car up, but it also regulates the dynamics. The idea as pitched by the Viking tech was that in my case of unfavorable weight and distribution, I would be able to adjust the rear spring from 200 to 350-ish pounds of effective spring rate, whereas with a leaf, I'm locked in wether it works or not. That could come into play since i'm building the truck for S/St, 6.50/6.60/7.00/7.50/8.00 index, and various other classes.
DailyDriverSst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #4
CMcAllister

Liked 725 Times in 199 Posts

Typically there are a number of coil spring options that will hold the car up at the desired shock C-C, depending on how much the spring is compressed. A heavy rate spring will require a little and not store a lot of energy. A light spring will need to be compressed substantially more and will have more stored energy that can be used to help get the rear out and the tire applied if needed. It - along with a good shock to control the housing - will give you another tuning tool. I've personally never tried it on anything.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:00 PM   #5
Lenny5160

Liked 432 Times in 225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
I believe the purpose of the rear spring is to hold the car up.
x2. You want the lightest spring rate that will hold the car up, and let the shock "regulate the dynamics" as you say.
Liked