HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 PM   #501
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Tony (Cratemotor), many of us have to wonder why anybody would build a car that could only run with one association? Why would a person not simply build one that could run with anywhere?

NHRA has so many classes, and cars (compared to IHRA) that why would anybody want to add more classes?

And our hard working tech people have to keep up with even more combinations?

I have been doing this since 1962, and have now seen both AHRA & IHRA come and go. Both had some "unusual" classes.

Logical thing to do would build a car that could run anyplace. Not expect others to make new rules to accommodate your poor choices.

You can't just make your car a legal Stocker?
You asked me this before like im some kind of moron. 2016 Nitro Joes shows over 50 CM cars. So i guess im not the only one who chose to back myself into a corner. In my geographical area we have (had) 2 tracks with in 3 hours driving distance that have (had) IHRA National or divisional races. So it made sence for me to build an IHRA combo. Plus, without making excuses, there is also 4 or more dirt circle track and 1 ashfalt track in a 5 hour radius so alot of the good castings have gone away with that stuff so yes it next to impossible to find heads and intakes. 330hp Crate motor uses 2 castings found on 96 and up 5.7L vortec engines and they flow real well and there is lots available. So it made sence at the time to move forward with the crate engine combo. And as for the hard working NHRA officials its maybe 10 more engines (ford, dodge and GM) that are identical to whats already there inspection wise. Your making it sound like we have some exotic stuff that is space age.
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:07 PM   #502
CrateCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Concur !
FWIW I am gathering information focused on reviving the concepts of Pure Stock, Junior Stock and Crate Motor under one Class Structure.
If NHRA becomes interested can be merged into existing NHRA Classes Indexes.

One of the key elements developing rules are for the newer cars.
Would create a Bolt-On Class for Stock.
Reviving the Junior Stock for cars using the Blueprinted Cams.
Adding CM engines to add to the mix.
Use a Max Seat Pressure Spring Rule toning down the cam and add mufflers.

Cost effective, reliable, fun.
Classes that does not require fragile pitchy super high winding expensive Stocker Engine.
That was what Modified Production was suppose to be.

Looking at the 2066 and new generation aspirated cars like Chevy SS, Cudas, Darts, Mustangs, Caddys that have V-6's and V-8's.
Several racers were trying to get their late model combinations certified by IHRA before the boom.
Lot of Stocker guys had the new cars and wanted to race them in Pure Stock.
Got calls on it often.

The new cars and racers are the cornerstone of the future.
Flexibility of being able to use a larger engine in GT or easy to get CM helped IHRA a lot.

The new generation of kids are not going to build a $50,000 Stocker.
They will buy a new car add headers, gears, converter, slicks, tune.
Most are driveway mods and are racing then at the local tracks.
These Bolt On Classes were the rage when the LT1 Camaros and B-Bodys came out in the late 90's early 2000.

Another sources of cars are PureStockDrags.
Have been collaborating with some of the key members.

Crate Motor and GT were great ideas to extend Stock.
Loved the fact you can pop in a 455 in place of a 305 or 350.

Aftermarket industry loved the CM cars.
Now producing new Aluminum Replacement Heads based on original castings.
Stock Ports, Combustion chamber and screw in studs.

I see in the future a new rule coming allowing these Head Replacements and even intake manifolds for Stock.
Good original castings are scarce competing against the restoration industry.

One other thing and was a very true statement.
Most of us are well over 50, 60 and 70 years old.
In the next ten years most of us will be making other decisions.

Regardless if the new generation of racers are not invited they will look at other venues.
You have to market and sell to this generation or they will not come.

AND one day Class Racing will become a note in History Books.

D
Thanks for all your hard work! Maybe some day we wont be the black sheep of the herd. I cant believe how stubborn some people are when it comes to this stuff. Its the same as a traditional stocker with more HP, weight and if accepted 3 tenths off what the IHRA index was....so my stocker that will run .9 under is now .6 under....wow thats a huge threat on the qualifying sheet. Way less of a threat that any Copo or Drag Pack.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:26 PM   #503
tomcraig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A drag pack, copo and cobra jets are nothing but crate motor cars.
tomcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:38 PM   #504
CrateCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
X2 And I have seen your car run @ TMP a few years ago, as much fun to watch as the NHRA stockers that I cherish.
Thanks! We have worked real hard on it the last 9 years to make it what it is hence why im trying to voice my opinion. With the driving costs of fuel, parts, life in general its not easy to swallow the fact that we are being told we need a whole new combo to come play or dont play at all when at the end of the day its just numbers...numbers on parts which will create more numbers (racers) on the qualifying sheets. All theres old 60s parts are drying up not to mention that they are 50 years old and junk. Its a dying class...there isnt any teenagers that even understand what a stocker or super stocker really is...they understand John Force....nitro...pokemon, video games. They go get a hotdog when stock is called to the lanes. They use the bathroom when Suoer Stock is called. And lets not even talk about what they think when a throttle stop car goes down the track they think its broke. We need to have a more open mind about this instead of being so bias. Since ive started ive got alot of younger guys involved. I just talked a real close friend into buying a car and building a crate combo....bought the car...bought some parts...IHRA pulls out and hes stuck building a 305 or nothing at all now. 1 person doesnt seem like an issue but hes not alone. And every year that goes buy theres less and less cars showing up....guys get old and retire, some god forbid pass on while all these IHRA racers are sitting around with their thumbs in their rear waiting on approval from the gods. We just want to race and have a place to feel acepted.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 PM   #505
Rory McNeil
VIP Member

Liked 919 Times in 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCamaro View Post
You asked me this before like im some kind of moron. 2016 Nitro Joes shows over 50 CM cars. So i guess im not the only one who chose to back myself into a corner. In my geographical area we have (had) 2 tracks with in 3 hours driving distance that have (had) IHRA National or divisional races. So it made sence for me to build an IHRA combo.
WOW, 50 Crate Motor cars for all of 2016, NHRA had almost 1600 cars in their Stock classes in 2016, also according to the 2016 Nitro Joe Stats. What would have made more sense in my opinion, is if you would have built a NHRA legal combination to start with, you could have still ran IHRA, as well as NHRA events, and not had to complain about making a bad choice. Let me guess, when VCRs first came out, I bet that you chose a BETA system.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:00 PM   #506
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Shame to have your class done away with like that. Last time I tried to run an IHRA race, I told my friends "This deal is dying." Never did get my check cashed.

Last time I looked Nitro Joe showed more than 50 cars in my class alone (SS/JA), more than all the crate motor cars.

Last edited by Ed Wright; 11-28-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Ed Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:37 PM   #507
Chris1529
VIP Member

Liked 56 Times in 26 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcraig View Post
A drag pack, copo and cobra jets are nothing but crate motor cars.
That sure is a mouthful. ouch.
Chris1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 10:21 PM   #508
CrateCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Shame to have your class done away with like that. Last time I tried to run an IHRA race, I told my friends "This deal is dying." Never did get my check cashed.

Last time I looked Nitro Joe showed more than 50 cars in my class alone (SS/JA), more than all the crate motor cars.
I didnt count GT Stock or Pure Stock but it still wouldnt add up to the 1600 that apparently made the call to the lanes in 2016 acording to below. More races, wider spectrum and more land to cover in NHRA. Guess ill go bracket racing...same as you guys. Have fun. Headed to the rec room now to watch Caddyshack on Beta.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #509
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Tony, I cannot understand why you would not take a year and make your car legal for NHRA.
Along with the CanAm series, there are are two "Opens" close by and several races in the North Eastern US.
If you wanted to attend every one of them, you would not have enough time in the season.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:22 PM   #510
CrateCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdncarnut View Post
Tony, I cannot understand why you would not take a year and make your car legal for NHRA.
Along with the CanAm series, there are are two "Opens" close by and several races in the North Eastern US.
If you wanted to attend every one of them, you would not have enough time in the season.
True

Last edited by CrateCamaro; 12-02-2017 at 04:19 PM.